Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
@Rossum
Is it safe to use citric acid powder bought in grocery store?
I think so. I used the stuff sold for canning made by Ball.

I want to dilute it in pg (10% citric acid, 90% pd). How much should I add this dilution? 1% or more?
That should work, but it's fairly difficult to get citric acid crystals to dissolve. Crush 'em up first and heat the solvent up some.

The only recipe I can give you is mine: 2ml of citric acid crystals in 30ml of distilled water. I was looking for something with roughly the strength of lemon juice, which I had been been using previously, but I didn't like how it gunked my coils (presumably due to the sugars in it). I used one drop of this per 10 ml of e-liquid. It took the edge off the nic, but it still gunked coils more than straight nic. I've since gone back to straight nic, no acids.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

mrmolecule

Feb 15, 2018
More VG, less PG. What nic level are you using and what kind of gear?
I mix 70vg, 30pg. I use 100mg NicSelect nic. I add it 1.5% so I get 1.5mg eliquid.
1.5 mg eliquid is always nice, but my last DIY with nic had awful throat hit. It is nice without nice so I want to reduce throat hit

DIY with nic from another vendor has the same throat hit

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't find nic salts particularly gunky, but they are smooth, almost no throat hit. I do wonder how "sensitive" you must be to harshness and the age and condition of the nic you are using may play a role. Too much PG will also increase throat hit. You might want to try a sample of nic salts from a DIY vendor, most will send a sample for the cost of shipping. They use various methods to convert the freebase nicotine and if you are very sensitive to the harshness of nic, nic salts may help you. I find MVS Wizard to round out my mixes. They aren't harsh but none of my mixes are since I use nic salts, and very little PG as I am sensitive to it. Good luck finding what you need.

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
If you really want to know what is the culprit(s); it is easy to do. Make sure your dripper has a clean coil and fresh wick. Then:
  • Drip a little plain VG on the wick. Vape to taste. Vape the wick almost to dry (or dry if using TC mode). This rules out, or identifies VG as an issue.
  • Do the same thing using only PG. Vape to taste. Vape the wick almost to dry (or dry if using TC mode). This rules out, or identifies PG as an issue.
  • Now mix a plain PG/VG/nic base to your normal ratio (20PG/70VG 1.5mg/ML; just a couple mL is all you need). Vape to taste. This rules out, or identifies nic as an issue.
If throat hit is noticeable at any of these stages; you know where you might want to make changes. If your vape remains smooth through all three stages; then you will know flavoring(s) is(are) the problem.

Also keep in mind, that temperature/power, as well as airflow, can also influence throat hit. Sometimes, adjusting one or both of these, can make a vape more pleasant.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I mix 70vg, 30pg. I use 100mg NicSelect nic. I add it 1.5% so I get 1.5mg eliquid.
1.5 mg eliquid is always nice, but my last DIY with nic had awful throat hit. It is nice without nice so I want to reduce throat hit

DIY with nic from another vendor has the same throat hit

Um, I know i'm late here but did anyone notice 'I add it 1.5% so I get 1.5mg eliquid'.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Um, I know i'm late here but did anyone notice 'I add it 1.5% so I get 1.5mg eliquid'.
Yes?
They also stated:
I use 100mg NicSelect nic.
100mg/mL nic added at 1.5% to a mix will yield 1.5mg/mL nic content. If it were something other than 100mg/mL; then the math would be incorrect. :D (I grin, because I too had to look twice, when I first read it.;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread