• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Thyroid Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Hi dunno what to say here really, I love my natural thyroid med. My brain doesn't feel like its full of cotton anymore and I'm not constantly dragging. I've only been on armour for around 4 months and I think its a lifesaver at least I feel like I have life in me again lol.

I'm glad my problem was my thyroid instead of something worse, at least mine has been easily treated. Tho I have heard some pretty bad stories on getting it worked out.

andrea0121

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Salem, WI
Steph, how in the world did you get on Armour!??! I was on that for a couple years and the manufacturer stopped making it!!! That's awesome!

I'm on synthroid now (it's free because I work at Abbott, yay) and I honestly don't feel a difference between the 2, the only thing is that my weight (which may not be an issue for you) was a little easier to manage on the Armour.

My thyroid history: I had a large goiter on the right side of my thyroid that they couldn't get to the other side of with a biopsy needle so they decided to talk the goiter out and the right side of my thyroid since it was totally encompassed.

Pathology came back clear of cancer, but now I have a lopsided thyroid and need to be on meds. ;)

Cool thread!

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
Land of Southern Belles :)
Not too many sufferers here is there? LOL

I was just diagnosed with Graves Disease and started treatment this month. Still having lots of bad days, but now there are good days mixed in. I try to be positive all the time, and have not really told many people. Just one close friend, and my family. I did put up a quick post in another thread that dont have much traffic, but for some reason today, it is a BAD day LOL. Have this insane need to tell someone! Mostly I think it is because my husband is out of town, and he is my biggest comfort while I go thru this. Especially because i put him thru hell for so many months before my diagnosis. He stuck with me, even though I was so angry and irratable all the time.

I stay upbeat in the forum threads, makes me feel better mentally if I stay cheerful and full of humor, but it is nice to have found this specific spot to vent a little.

So, here is my vent.... I feel really bad today! I hate having more bad days then good days while adjusting to my anti-thyroid meds! I have a very high tolerance for pain, but dang.... after a while it really gets to me!

Now I have that off my chest, I am going to go back to the forums, pet my dog, doze off in my chair, and wish everyone a very nice afternoon :)

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I had a very over-active thyroid when I was only 4 years old. I had goiter, and the bulging eyes. Thank goodness the bulging eyes went away. When I was in my 20's I got tired of always being up and down, so I decided to get radioactive iodine. That effectively nuked my thyroid, and now I am under-active.

About Armour: I was taking it for a pretty long time, then I ended up with osteoporosis. I did think I felt peppier. The Endo that specializes in osteoporosis said it was from the T-3 in Armour. For three years, I am back to just taking a T-4 drug now, Levoxyl, and I feel fine. My doc makes sure to keep the TSH as low as possible without being too low. That helps.

Does anyone get jittery or heart pounding from vaping? I do get very jittery!

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
I had a very over-active thyroid when I was only 4 years old. I had goiter, and the bulging eyes. Thank goodness the bulging eyes went away. When I was in my 20's I got tired of always being up and down, so I decided to get radioactive iodine. That effectively nuked my thyroid, and now I am under-active.

About Armour: I was taking it for a pretty long time, then I ended up with osteoporosis. I did think I felt peppier. The Endo that specializes in osteoporosis said it was from the T-3 in Armour. For three years, I am back to just taking a T-4 drug now, Levoxyl, and I feel fine. My doc makes sure to keep the TSH as low as possible without being too low. That helps.

Does anyone get jittery or heart pounding from vaping? I do get very jittery!

I had to go down to 5mg nicotine... I have god awful palpitations and the lower nicotine really helps :)
I cant imagine a child with thyroid symptoms! I am pretty lucky, mild eye issues that I am hoping resolves itself as the Graves is brought under control, and so far just mild swelling of the thyroid, no visible goiter. I am so glad you have it under control! I know one day I will feel better... patience is NOT my virtue :)

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I had to go down to 5mg nicotine... I have god awful palpitations and the lower nicotine really helps :)
I cant imagine a child with thyroid symptoms! I am pretty lucky, mild eye issues that I am hoping resolves itself as the Graves is brought under control, and so far just mild swelling of the thyroid, no visible goiter. I am so glad you have it under control! I know one day I will feel better... patience is NOT my virtue :)

I guess it is pretty rare for a little kid to have Graves. I know I was in a medical book ;)
Interesting on the lower nicotine. In the 6 weeks I have been vaping, I went from 18 to 12 mg. I also vape some 4 mg. occasionally. I may try going to 6 mg soon. Just what to do with all these 18 mg. juices??? I have some good ones!

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
I guess it is pretty rare for a little kid to have Graves. I know I was in a medical book ;)
Interesting on the lower nicotine. In the 6 weeks I have been vaping, I went from 18 to 12 mg. I also vape some 4 mg. occasionally. I may try going to 6 mg soon. Just what to do with all these 18 mg. juices??? I have some good ones!

Do what i did with my higher nic juices... buy the exact same thing in 0 nicotine and dilute them down :) 18mg with 0mg gives you 9 mg.... you can dilute further to get even lower... just make sure you use the same juice and dont mix it up LOL... I made that mistake!!

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
I had an elevated thyroid
Then they did more tests and it was normal.
Then they did an ultrasound of my neck (which was expensive as hell!)
but it came back normal too.
So basically they are watching my thyroid, along with my testosterone and sugar levels.

Yay blood work! lol
I also have PCOS so trying to treat that but so far the only thing I've tried (metformin) had such horrible side effects that I stopped taking it. I think my doctor was going to put me on thyroid meds but then they changed their mind.

Basically now I'm supposed to wait for my obgyn appointment and then follow up with the regular doctor.
Oh and he wants me to lose weight and stop smoking.
That's why I'm here :)

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Hi everyone! Graves and Hashi's here, diagnosed separately over the course of two years. I had symptoms, mainly hyper, as far back as my early teens though; 100 was a typical resting heart rate for me back then and my jeans size got down to as low as a 2 at 5'8" with no ability to gain weight. My thyroid crashed right after I quit smoking cold turkey for a hysterectomy several years ago with a TSH of 64 and it's been a roller coaster from hypo to hyper ever since, with the hyper cycles becoming longer and less controllable on anti-thyroids. I finally bit the bullet and had a thyroidectomy at the end of last year, so I still have both autoimmune disorders but at at least I'm no longer hyper.

Sandybeach, I have osteoporosis as well and was diagnosed before I was ever put on Armour. Couldn't understand why I kept breaking bones in my feet just walking down the flight of stairs in my 2 story house! From what I understand, Osteo is a direct side effect of either the Graves or being over medicated for hypo, rather than anything to do with T3 supplementation. If Synthroid is working for you though, that's great! Unfortunately, it always makes me feel like I have a mild case of the flu. :nah:

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Just popping by to read discussion on thyroid. Although I have never been diagnosed with thyroid problems, I did a home test to see if I did. I recently purchased a book called "The Plan." I bought it after I had read several reports that all degenerative disease is related to food reactions.

I went to Amazon to see if there were books related to the subject. From jumping all around, I ended up on a review on the book called "Conquering Arthritis: What Doctors Don't Tell You Because They Don't Know." It is about a young lady that was in college as an undergrad. She lived in a wheelchair b/c she couldn't walk or even hold a pen to write. She completely healed herself of her RA condition when she went on a short fast to clear the food from her system and then added one food at a time to see if she had any reactions. She is now a runner! I did not buy the book, but I read all the reviews that revealed the info.

I was getting arthritis in my hands and couldn't even hold a pencil in my right hand. At that time, all the hype about vitamin D shortage was just surfacing. I bought some vita D and started taking 7,000mg per day, and my arthritis is almost completely gone evidenced by my ability to make tight fists with each hand with absolutely no pain.

Back to topic, when I bought the book "The Plan," I did the self-test to see if I had a thyroid problem by taking the temperature of the body every morning before getting out of bed. If it is 97 or under consistently for 5 days, then there is a problem. My testing returned readings of 97 and under all days. Well, why should I think otherwise when I read health reports that 85+% of all women have thyroid problems? The author recommended taking probiotics for a week before starting The Plan, so that's where I am now ... popping pills every morning before getting started.

I searched online for alternative medicine cures, and here's what I came up with. A doctor just down the freeway 15 minutes from me. And he also recommends probiotics. I don't believe everything on the internet, but his credentials on Wikipedia looked pretty impressive. The pretty woman interviewing him is his wife who is also a naturopatic doctor in their clinic, although she is not nationally famous like he is. He has authored several books on his research and recommendations, which are all very highly rated on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread