Time to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
I just came into a bit of money and was thinking about upgrading from my existing PCC 510.

I'd like to keep the 510 format, but was wondering if anyone could recomend the "cadillac" e-cig.

Something with long life, nice charging system, refillable cartomizers etc.

I do want to keep the "cig" shape, but would not mind if it looked like a pen in length.

I would move away from the 510 format for the right e-cig so feel free to throw in a suggestion or two!

-Rob

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you still want 510 slim then your only upgrade is to Joye 510 mega xl batteries (MANUAL strongly recommended) and you will have to get a non-roomy Metal Joye mega xl PCC since that is the only PCC for those. There are 128mm long with a Boge cartomizer and to me seem to have a slightly better hit than the small 510 batteries. You can use your existing charger as long as your current 510 is not one of those evil reverse-polarity abominations like FS510 (its charger would fry a normal 510 battery). I do love these Joye 510 mega xl manuals - 60-70% more charge than the short ones (280mah vs 180mah)

The more common upgrade is to Ego or Riva 510 (see Liberty-Flights.com and press the 20% off). These need their own charger the slim 510 cannot use (their fast charger can damage a slim 510) and the slim 510 cannot use the hotter LR atomizers and cartomizers. Ego/Riva 510 can use standard and LR attys/cartos. But these are not slim - there are fat battery models with a charge of 650mah and up.

The common upgrade to something different and slim would be to KR808D-1 manuals: Vapor4Life.com and SmokelessImage Volt (Smokeless might still have a 23% sale going on with code heatwave or that may be Heatwave). I strongly recommend manual batteries (only some of their colors are available in manual). These use cartomizers - if you keep a cartomizer damp with juice you may get up to a week's use out of a carto (I recommend thin clear juices, 20% VG or less). The standard (78mm-80mm) battery is about the same charge life as Joye mega xl and about 120mm long with a cartomizer attached. The shorter battery is about the same charge as a short standard 510. These are real 3.7v slim minis - a bit more oomph to them especially with some cartos.

I use all 3 of those (I bought them because they are most popular here). I carry my 510 manual + Boge cartomizers & PCC as well as my KR808D-1 manual (Vapor4Life manual and I just ordered a nice Volt manual battery) and I carry a charged Riva battery too as a battery backup and for some hotter bigger hits off my standard resistance Boge cartos I use on the slim 510 (Riva 510 is a bit more voltage than slim 510).

Last edited:

CdnBison

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg
And the cadillac for vv penstyle would likely be the ProVari. Might be a bit bigger than you are looking for though. With an 18650 battery in it, though, you're guaranteed all day life on it. It also uses a 510 connection, so you'll be ok there. You can have a look here: ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

And the cadillac for vv penstyle would likely be the ProVari. Might be a bit bigger than you are looking for though. With an 18650 battery in it, though, you're guaranteed all day life on it. It also uses a 510 connection, so you'll be ok there. You can have a look here: ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

Robfindlay - CdnBison is correct. The Pro-Vari is superb but has the drawback that the internal computer cuts out around 2-Amp of power. It is adjustable between 3.3Volts and 6.0Volts with 0.1Volt increments. If you want warm vaping then the Darwin from Evolv will be the alternative. This PV has a 4Amp swith and you dial it in by setting the power level (Watts) It is unconventional in appearance though.

Last edited:

mangoon

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Now I'v heard good things about the V2, ecig, any thoughts? Electronic Cigarettes: e cigarette, vapor, electric, e cigs, | V2Cigs

I have one Rob. The quality of the product is top notch and I do think they have solved the problems that they had with stock and shipping others have complained about. I have never had a problem with them in that respect. That being said I think their product is way overpriced. Also while I love the 808 Im not sure that the 808 is the way for you to go if you are looking for longer battery life.

Last edited:

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada

Provari is a beautiful mod, but i've yet to encounter anyone who owns one who says they get a whole day out of the batteries. Maybe if you turned it all the way down, but what's the fun of that? If you can deal with changing batteries, and the somewhat annoying menu system, it's pretty sweet!

IMHO, the Cadillac of the pen style would be a super-T P-18, or something along those lines. Beautifully made, lifetime warranty, all mechanical, Uses many voltage combos.. It's slim enough to suit your needs..

The current Cadillac of the VV world is the Darwin. I can vape cartos on it for 3 days before I charge, less obviously if I'm using HV atties or something lol, but still 12hrs plus easily. It is somewhat fugly, but you'll forget all about that pretty soon after you start vaping it! With adapters you can use any thread atty or tank with any resistance. The real beauty is the internal battery. Don't need separate chargers and spare batteries, it can be used while charging as a passthrough, and bloody lasts forever.

I know some people knock the Darwin, because if the battery fails, you have to send it back to evolv for a fresh one. I can hear the arguments already lol.. All I have to say is welcome to the future. I'm not changing 18650's in my iPhone all day, why would I want to do it with my PV? Evolv charges $25 for batt replacement and gives 1yr warranty. Think about that. Battery for life for $25 a year.

Some reading: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-darwin.html

Another quick plug for reo's mods.. i just got my first reo, a wooden one no less. Wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I'm totally in love with this thing already Hahah. I know its not slim, but if you like some, decide to go way out of what you started looking for, you should at least have a look.

Another piece of advice is to check out the classifieds, lots of great stuff everyday on there, but do your research. Not everything is a great deal.

so if you want to play it safe, but still have a cadillac, I say go for mechanical p-18 with LR cartos or something. If you want to go balls out, grab a Darwin.. Good luck!

Last edited:

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Well, if you want to go "cadillac", the mod suggestions: REO, Provari, Darwin, etc. are all good ways to go.

But, you might be happy with a Riva 510 from Liberty-Flights. It's reasonably priced and gives you all the things you asked for in your original post. It's about the size of a Sharpie.

The mod suggestions give you a much warmer vape, extra juice and ridiculous battery life. Which is kind of above and beyond what you asked for. Were you really looking for a "Cadillac"? :D

Last edited:

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
    Sep 15, 2010
    Monmouth, OR
    First of all, if you're serious about wanting something more or less the shape and proportion of a cigarette, stay FAR away from the pro-vari. Two of my coworkers that I turned on to vaping recently got the pro-vari, and while they are both EXTREMELY happy with it's performance and build quality, there is no way around the fact that it is HUGE! Quite frankly, it looks like a screwdriver. A screwdriver with a very heavy handle.

It does not resemble a cigarette or cigar in any way. It has almost no resemblance to any smoking device I've ever seen, except that it's about the size of a small .....

If you want the same diameter as a 510, but you're okay with a little extra length, you might check out the Infinity Ion from revolvercig.com

On the up side, 4 of the 5 people I know who bought one have kept up with it and all love it. The 5th liked it very well, but wasn't able to transition from analogs. Everyone I've talked to who has used both a 510 and an infinity Ion has agreed that the Ion is significantly better. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them, and they're good people to deal with.

On the down side, it uses a non-standard threading, so as far as I know, you can't buy anything for it from a 3rd party. That means you're locked in to buying everything but liquid from revolver.

The other thing you should consider, and several people have recommended, is something cigar-sized. I've personally used the Vgo, eGo, Leo and Lea.

My current favorite is the Lea, and it does use 510 threads. However, it comes with a proprietary tank atty and some people have found that not all 510 threaded attys will work because of the air path. It's the narrowest of the bunch, but still much thicker than a 510. With the cap on it, it looks like a fountain pen.

The Leo is generally a love it or hate it e-cig. I loved mine, but I love my Lea more. There used to be only one atty option for the Leo, but there are now regular and LR attys, cartomizers (up to 4ml) and tank attys. This is the largest of the ones in my list, and is comparable to a medium/large cigar. It also has a cap like a fountain pend, but it's too big to fool anyone, and there's no pen clip.

The eGo is the logical next step for many vapers looking to move up from a 510. The standard eGo uses 510 threads, and any 510 atty or carto will work on it just great. It's thicker than the Lea, but thinner than the Leo. Because of it's atty threads and the threads where the cone attaches, there are MANY options for this one. Without even thinking I could probably list off a dozen types of attys and cartos for it, and that's not counting the fact that most of them are available in different resistances and/or from different manufacturers. Without a doubt, the eGo is the most flexible of bunch. However, it's very simple in terms of looks, too thick to be a cigarette, and too short to look like most cigars (unless you get one of the larger battery capacity versions, which are a bit longer) There are also some very good eGo knock-offs like the Riva 510, which are fully compatible. Just make sure you get one that has a threaded atomizer cone.

The Vgo is one of the more common names for a cheaper eGo knock-off. The number one thing to look for here is a non-threaded or "push on" atomizer cone. This will greatly restrict what accessories you can use it with. If you're really certain that you'll want to stick with 'regular' 510 attys and/or cartomizers, the Vgo is fine.

Last edited:

iball

ECF Veteran
    Jul 22, 2011
    The Desert
    I've just started with the Volt from smokelessimage and it's allowed me to instantly kick analogs from day one.
    TH and vapor for me matches the old Marlboro Light analogs I was smoking before using either the 555 or RY4 juices/cartos.
    I just wish they had more of the portable PCCs in stock. I tend to travel a lot nowadays.

hairball

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    If you want to upgrade, get the cigarette look-a-like out of your head. Provari by provape.com or Buzz Pro by notcigs.com. Both variable voltage and well worth the money. I prefer the Buzz Pro while hubby likes the ProVari.

Now if cigarette is still what you want, then the XL 510 battery is for you or if you don't mind a sharpie sized PV, Riva or eGo kit from liberty-flights.com. The Riva or eGo will give you more battery life than you could want. It lasts most people 6-10 hours depending on how hard you're vaping.

Shannon65

ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I am upgrading from a 510 PCC kit as well. I chose the new G6 from Halocigs.com which is like the Volt kit, both are KR808-D1 models and come with re-fillable cartomizers...two piece, less mess but still uses juice. These are "next gen" models and at least with the G6 that includes extended battery life, no-burn cartomizers and a better regulated heating of liquid that is supposed to provide smoother vapor. It also comes in a really cool tin container, which is unique. If you want to stick to something similar to cigarette size you should check out reviews of these two kits. The Bloog is supposed to be similar too.

fright88

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    If you want to upgrade, get the cigarette look-a-like out of your head. Provari by provape.com or Buzz Pro by notcigs.com. Both variable voltage and well worth the money. I prefer the Buzz Pro while hubby likes the ProVari.

Now if cigarette is still what you want, then the XL 510 battery is for you or if you don't mind a sharpie sized PV, Riva or eGo kit from liberty-flights.com. The Riva or eGo will give you more battery life than you could want. It lasts most people 6-10 hours depending on how hard you're vaping.

+1 I highly recommend the Riva 510 but it is more cigar sized then cigarette.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread