Status
Not open for further replies.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Hi all,

After reading the thread here about PG mint infusions, I'm really keen to try an infusion of these (if you haven't tried them, they're amazing):

http://s4f98f3555083a.img.gostorego...b8d27136e95/s/t/starburst_rattle_snakes_1.jpg

I'm planning to cut a packet up into their respective colours, steep then strain them. Anybody have tips for how to go about steeping, how much PG or VG to use, etc? One question I have after reading the above thread is whether I should using a microwave, water bath, or just leave them to steep at room temperature.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Good points. Does if change matters at all if I were to use alcohol? I know there are a lot of recipes out there for Gummy infused Vodka, wondering if alcohol might separate the actual flavouring from the sugars.

The only other way I see to tackle this is to infuse the PG as per my original post, each individual colour/flavour, then try to replicate each flavour using vape-friendly concentrates.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Alcohol, regardless if we are talking pure grain (ethanol) or PG or VG (yes all alcohols) will dissolve sugars.

It's not a problem with a vodka infusion meant for drinking because the body digests sugars fairly well.

It is a problem when heating things with a coil because sugars will gunk a coil in short order. The only thing I have found that will gunk quicker are gums.

Separating out sugars from flavoring is quite a bit more complicated than soaking.

Mint leaves, coffee beans, tea leaves and the like don't have much sugar. Thus folks have had some good luck with infusions for getting flavor out because the oils dissolve pretty well in alcohol. (Oil is where the flavor is in these things.) Candy, on the other hand, is basically all about the sugars. It's like comparing apples to minnows...there is nothing alike.

Hoosier has covered trying to turn candy into e-juice; it just won't work. You can try to replicate the flavors using vape-friendly concentrates, as you say, but that will likely be some pretty advanced effort by the time you come even close, and you will burn through a lot of ingredients getting there. If I was going to try to do that, I would choose one of the flavors and chase that, but it will still not be an easy or quick journey. Replicating flavors is much harder than starting with some concentrates and playing with them until you find something you like. And the flavors you want to replicate are not things that are already being done with e-juice, so it's kind of like trying to write a comprehensive textbook about auto repair when you have just learned what a spark plug is.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Hoosier has covered trying to turn candy into e-juice; it just won't work. You can try to replicate the flavors using vape-friendly concentrates, as you say, but that will likely be some pretty advanced effort by the time you come even close, and you will burn through a lot of ingredients getting there. If I was going to try to do that, I would choose one of the flavors and chase that, but it will still not be an easy or quick journey. Replicating flavors is much harder than starting with some concentrates and playing with them until you find something you like. And the flavors you want to replicate are not things that are already being done with e-juice, so it's kind of like trying to write a comprehensive textbook about auto repair when you have just learned what a spark plug is.

Thanks for the replies guys. Regarding sugars - do the artificial sweeteners like Mt Baker's get around this problem? I've read that people use Stevia and the like, that seems like the one thing missing from my current attempt at a Gummy Bear flavour thus far.

Regarding chasing one particular flavour, What I've noticed with the Gummy Bear flavouring I have here is that it captures that hard to describe element of Gummy Bears that you taste in real ones, and know to be missing in cheap knock-offs, but it doesn't taste like any one particular fruit flavour. It feels as though it'd be a good example of a base flavour to work from, then adding one particular flavour over the top of, thus giving the taste of a 'Gummy Bear Grape', for example, as opposed to a generic candy grape flavour.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Stevia is an alternative to the more well known Aspartame sweeteners like Equal, has a yucky aftertaste though so I'd imagine it'd be even worse to vape. Think I'll stick with Sucrolose, going to get some shortly so I can have a tinker over the weekend.

If your talking about using the packets of sucralose, I would reconsider. Those packets contain only 5% sucralose and 95% dextrose and fillers. It will also gunk up your coil/s. Vendors sell pure sucralose suspended in PG at 10%. This is the sweetener most use for their DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread