Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone...

So I just received my 28g Titanium Grade 1 wire today and I'm having some severe troubles. I've worked with Ni200 plenty and it has worked great for my uses. I bought the Ti because I was told it is easier to work with and has a higher resistance so I can build smaller coils.

I understand that Titanium has a higher TCR, therefore it will require a lower temperature to achieve the same temperature vape as Nickel (i.e. the actual temp reading is not accurate).

I have been through 3 builds so far and they have all ben major failures. First build was 7 wraps 28g Ti on a 3mm mandrel and came out to 0.6Ω... I threw it on my Kayfun 4 clone and it sparked very brightly. My Snow Wolf was set at 20W and 250ºF. So I scrapped the build after that and cleaned the Kayfun completely. Turns out the lead where I clipped the wire was touching the wall of the lower chimney. My fault, understood. Not a problem with the Ti.

Next I did a 6 wrap on a 3mm mandrel for 0.4Ω. Now this one I got all wicked and everything was working great. My Snow Wold asked if it was a new build and knew to go into TC mode. So I dripped some juice on and started firing it and it was fluctuating the wattage, maintaining the temperature, but when I looked closely I saw one of the leads start to glow red hot... Still at the same settings, 20W and 250ºF. So I removed the wick, tightened the screws, made sure everything was spaced evenly and tried again. Wicked and thoroughly soaked in juice, the lead started glowing again.

Third build, 5 wraps, same mandrel... Same issue. I don't understand. I have not had this issue with Ni200.

Am I supposed to dry burn Ti? I'm pretty sure not... TiO2 gets produced if I remember correctly?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Happy to provide more info if needed.

Can anyone give some recommendations for building with Ti for TC?

Thanks for any help you may provide. I'm hoping I can get this Ti to work... If not, it's okay. I really don't mind Nickel...

Vape Happy,
Cullin Kin

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
according to Steam Engine a 0.9 ohm coil of 28awg grade 1 titanium would be 13 wraps on a 3mm mandrel. sounds like maybe you weren't sold real grade 1 ti wire :(

Sorry those resistance readings were a bit off. I read them after firing while they were still hot... Doh! I just reread them on my SW, cold. The 7 wraps came out to 0.5Ω, edited the post above to reflect.

Here is the wire I bought: Pure Titanium Wire - 100% Guarantee - Specific for Jewelry Surgical Gr – Unkamen Supplies

I bought it there because several members suggested I get it there and use that wire themselves.

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
are the coils spaced properly and nothing shorting against the posts or whatever. You have a hot leg so its the build and nothing to do with Ti. Your wire is fine btw!!

Back off the resistance a bit. Say go for 0.2 ohms and make sure the coils are properly spaced. Also, if you have one, try first in a dripper in single coil format before you try to wedge something in the KF!

IMPORTANT: dont dry burn! At best, pulse a little bit until the wire starts to change colour - first yellow then blueish. Stop at that point. You can then build a touching coil if you want. If you have grey/white bits, throw it away and start again!

Kwtony

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2014
Key West
No problems with this wire

DSC08421_zpsnz9pmsdw.jpg

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
are the coils spaced properly and nothing shorting against the posts or whatever. You have a hot leg so its the build and nothing to do with Ti. Your wire is fine btw!!

Thank you! I knew it was in the build but I can't find anything I'm doing wrong. I'm building it the same way I built with Nickel (spaced evenly, no wires touching where they shouldn't, 3mm mandrel, etc.). I will wrap a new coil in the morning (it already is morning! I need to go to bed) and take a photo. I haven't shorted my K4 before but something weird is definitely going on. Glad to know the wire is safe too... I would rather not pay $15 for 15ft lol.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Thank you! I knew it was in the build but I can't find anything I'm doing wrong. I'm building it the same way I built Nickel. I will wrap a new coil in the morning (it already is morning! I need to go to bed) and take a photo. It's hard to short on a K4 but something weird is definitely going on. Glad to know the wire is safe too... I would rather not pay $10 for 15ft lol.
Ok my friend. Sleep well and im sure you will nail it tomorrow!! As you say, it should be just like Ni only easier so just something silly going on (happens to me when Im tired!!!)

cheers

steve

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Ok my friend. Sleep well and im sure you will nail it tomorrow!! As you say, it should be just like Ni only easier so just something silly going on (happens to me when Im tired!!!)

cheers

steve

Thanks buddy. :) I look forward to figuring it out. G'night!

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Okay so I build a new coil this morning on my Magma to make things easier. 6 wraps on a 3mm for 0.56Ω... Pulsed the power until it turned a dark yellow. Settings were 17W and 300ºF. Still same issue, you can see the blue spot near the right side of the coil. Thats where the hot spot occurs. As I'm watching it, the temp control is working great, I'll hold the button for 3 seconds, then all of the sudden that lead will glow and temp protection will kick in. Screws are tight, connections are good. Same style build as I use Nickel for on my Magma with no issues.

@disley lol I'm not sure what makes you think I'm going after clouds with the settings used... My usual settings with Nickel are 420ºF and 27W.

@roxynoodle I checked to see if anything was lodged in the build deck on the K4, no such luck. All clear.

@MoDmAnDaN Will keep this thread updated.

11668091_1010171249001753_2053462563_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread