Tobacco base recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
Hi,

I'm interested in learning more about tobacco bases and would like to build up a collection of bases to use for more sophisticated flavors.

I'd like to do something in the tobacco style of Don at BWB. A dry not overpowering nonperfumey base.

I don't want to buy little bottles. I'm looking for something I can do in larger quantities.

What's the best flue cured, Turkish , etc base ? Maybe I'll just buy flavorart but wanted your opinion first.

Perhaps one of the Chinese venders ?

Thanks

Jeff

GG stealth, Provari, iatty2, DIY chef

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The 'what's best' question will get all kinds of answers :)

If I were doing it, I'd start with Decadent Vapours 'Real Tabs' - that's a tobacco absolute that Nick (maker) made on his own and has a good smooth taste. And that was before his 'black label' tobaccos from TW (although that flavor was included in the black label line) - which tasted like a Halo base to me - too strong, for me - more cigar than cigarette, imo.

The way the 'tobacco flavors' from China go, is that they have a fairly stable tobacco base and then add flavoring - my take - vanilla for Marlboro, chocolate for Camel and Hilton, cherry or almond for Flue Cured, peanut for 555, cinnamon for Lucky Strike, menthol for menthol/Newport :) carmel and smoke for RY4 (perhaps ginger).... Some put coconut for more sweet.

The flavourart tobaccos are also strong, imo or I didn't find the right formula - the Mellow Sunset and the Virginia would be where I would start. The cuban, perique, latakia - were quite strong, imo, and tasted nothing like the burning type. But FA have the additives - bitter wizard, MTS and flash that address/tone down the sweetness and harshness. Again - I couldn't get it down but you might with more time and experimentation - I found what tastes I wanted from DV and BWB :)

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread