too many variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojonyc

Jan 16, 2014
new york
i've noticed that different liquids work better in different machines and on different wattage settings. thats obvious. whats not obvious to me is whats causing this...

what would the following mean for the optimal wattage setting? all else being the same...

more vg?
more pg?
more water?
more flavor? (lorann)

additionally, if i wanna use my protank 2 on an evic, what should i look for in a juice? ecom?

thanks

Larry777

Jan 19, 2014
Twin Cities MN
PG tends to be "thinner" than VG meaning practically that PG will wick better while VG will give you thicker clouds of vape.
With a Protank 2 you will always have somewhat of a light vape.
Each juice can vary batch to batch. If your using any plastic tanks, make sure to avoid the known tank-crackers
Wattage to taste, I prefer a cooler vape so I stick around the 5.5-6 watts area, my buddy likes it hot ant thick so he runs closer to 14 watts. Start low and bump it up until you hit either 1- the sweet spot right away (I'm never this lucky) 2- You get a burnt taste meaning your pushing the upper limit, take it back down a bit.

It's very much up to you in the end, but for a general rule of thumb, stick between 5-7.5 watts and pick a juice you can live with that doesn't ruin your stuff.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Hi and Welcome to ECF :)

Im not certain completely on your question. I can say there is no xpg/xvg x brand flavor in x tank on x device = x watts

Every flavor (even within the same brand of flavoring) at the same pg/vg ratio may have a slightly different sweet spot. As Larry stated that sweet spot is fairly individualized. Just start at the lowest setting and move up one notch at a time until you find yours. If it starts to taste burned then back off a notch or 2 into the spot that tastes best to you. For me depending on the tank and the juice its between 6-8 Watts.

Protank 2 is glass so be aware you can use any flavor without cracking it and if you get 100%VG you may have to add a drop or so of water to thin it for proper wicking.

jojonyc

Jan 16, 2014
new york
thanks guys... i'm slowly getting the hang of this. the reason i was asking though is because i'm mixing my own stuff. i love thick clouds, but the problem i'm having with vg is that if i raise the wattage, it burns. if i lower it, it dries my mouth out like crazy. i did find a delicious way to fix this problem lol... i added flavored vodka to the mix at much higher volumes than i read was ok. (close to 18%). gives me a great throat hit, thick clouds and i can raise the temp without burning the liquid. now i hear it's not safe. thats why i was wondering if there is a formula to tell me in what percentages i gotta mix the liquids in order to give me the clouds i want while maintaining flavor and not drying out my mouth. i guess i'm asking for too much lol.
other thing is i just put in a 1.8 ohm atty. i was doing 2.2 before. seems like the only difference is tighter pull and lower wattage. def inferior to the 2.2. can someone confirm please? thanks

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
thanks guys... i'm slowly getting the hang of this. the reason i was asking though is because i'm mixing my own stuff. i love thick clouds, but the problem i'm having with vg is that if i raise the wattage, it burns. if i lower it, it dries my mouth out like crazy. i did find a delicious way to fix this problem lol... i added flavored vodka to the mix at much higher volumes than i read was ok. (close to 18%). gives me a great throat hit, thick clouds and i can raise the temp without burning the liquid. now i hear it's not safe. thats why i was wondering if there is a formula to tell me in what percentages i gotta mix the liquids in order to give me the clouds i want while maintaining flavor and not drying out my mouth. i guess i'm asking for too much lol.

As Larry777 said, the issue with VG is that it's thicker than PG. That means that the wick will not be able to move as much juice as fast as it can with a thinner liquid. When the wick and coil gets dry coil temperature goes way up and it burns the juice. You can also thin juice with water, but of course that will not do anything good for TH.

Both PG and VG will dry you out and not just your mouth. Both are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb moisture. Drinking lots of fluids will really help with this.

other thing is i just put in a 1.8 ohm atty. i was doing 2.2 before. seems like the only difference is tighter pull and lower wattage. def inferior to the 2.2. can someone confirm please? thanks

If you set your Evic to the same watts with both of these attys you will not notice any difference in vape. If you set voltage, the 1.8 will give you more wattage than the 2.2. Here's an online ohm's law calculator. Plug in a voltage number and your resistances and you'll see what happens to the power (watts). Varying atty resistance is very useful if you have a non-adjustable battery. With VV/VW devices this is not required.

I don't know why you got a tighter draw with the 1.8, but then I don't use Protanks.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
A lot of e-liquid flavorings contain alcohol but I don't know about vaping it at 18%...

We are only just understanding some of the medium to long term effects of inhaling PG and VG, so I doubt if you'll find many studies about vaping alcohol.

Personally I have added a couple of drops to my liquid before, but if I was looking for a thinner, I would use PG or plain old distilled water.

Just my opinion, I'm not a scientist or a doctor so it's a completely subjective point of view.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Mixing 18% vodka is way high, figuring it using 100 proof that would be 9%water, 9% alcohol. That much water in your mix would tend to cool your coil head too much for good vapor production. Water vaporizes at 212 degrees, whereas PG / VG much lower temperature. I find a 50/50 mix of VG / PG works well if you are getting enough juice to your coil, enough voltage to heat it, and enough air flow to enjoy the vapor.

If your equipment is operating at it's optimum level, it should produce a good vapor cloud over a range of PG-VG ratios.

jojonyc

Jan 16, 2014
new york
@intheshade...
i read something saying it's very dangerous to inhale alcohol. however, they were referring to people doing it for the purposes of getting drunk. therefore, they were inhaling a much much higher quantity than anything you can inhale in a PV. also, the main concern was that you cannot stop an overdose if you are inhaling the alcohol because you cannot vomit it out. supposedly, that is your body's way of preventing the overdose. with inhalation, its going directly into the blood stream. bottom line, its no concern here since the quantity is still very low.
other concerns i have heard were about burning it at high temps because it could break down into other things. but that is true with VG as well. in fact, if you burn VG, it's probably even more dangerous.
if it is present anyways, who's to say 2% is ok and 18% is not? that was my logic. but i'm not a doctor either lol

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
The amount of VG and watts vaped at is totally dependent on the atomizer on uses and how it is built. I use nothing but re-buildable atomizers, rba's. I mix my own juice at 80-70% VG, have started adding 3% Vodka to my recipes, generally 9-13% flavoring, and vape at a minimum of 15 watts and up to 53 watts with some. If the atomizer can't wick enough and breathe enough, then one is limited to how many watts it can handle till you experience dry hits or overheating.

The Aspire Nautilus BDC can handle 15 watts, and also the can original Aspire BDC atomizer. Would recommend giving the Nautilus a try. Also you might want to look into a good rba or rda, this is where the flavor and clouds are found. Takes some time to get proficient at building, but once learned, it is easy and provides great vape satisfaction.

The Kayfun, Russian, Flash-e-Vapor V2, are just a few of the great rba's that are available and can all handle at least 15 watts with high VG content. The Aqua can handle builds of .3 ohms and provide an excellent vape at 50 watts with high VG content. Do some exploring and research in the rebuildable atomizer sub forum, to get an idea what is involved, there is also a large DIY juice sub forum.

Vape long and Prosper.!!

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
There are a few people in the DIY Forum who add sterile saline solution .9% to thin their VG mixes and add moisture to their mouth. They use any where from 3 to 10% of the total mix. I haven't tried it--I normally mix at 70PG/30VG. You might wander around through that forum. I know others have even added whiskey but not necessarily to thin VG.

I don't think 10% vodka is going to hurt. Some of the flavors are based in alcohol so if you're using an alcohol based flavor at 10%--you're getting darn near 10% alcohol & maybe 1% of actual flavor ingredient. Cinnamon is one that is usually alcohol based.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
@stosh...
everything i have read tells me what you are saying is true. maybe my equipment sucks, but if i don't have enough water in there, it dries out my mouth like crazy. do you think i need a different tank? if not, what should be the right amount of 70 proof vodka to add? assuming no other ingredient contains water

I would try to stay at 10% as an upper limit, and possibly try some Biotine mouthwash for your dry mouth. It may help more to attack the problem directly....:) Drink water 'till your eye-teeth float?? Not sure.....

A different tank, or different voltage / wattage, different wicks, or wick positioning may make as much or more of a difference in what you are experiencing.

I use a 50/50 mix myself, works for me but everyone's different. I've found my vivi-nova top coils work well, especially at a touch lower wattage than most vapers. It's mostly finding the mix of equipment and juice that works well for you. Check the DIY section for ideas, try very small sample batches, as all the ideas may not work. I've tried using bourbon and scotch (for the flavor mostly) and both failed at concentrations which provided a good vapor, and the flavors were missing.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
jojonyc part of the reason that you are experiencing that dry feeling is that is what vaping does. ask any asthmatic that uses a nebulizer or inhaler. Pg and vg both can dry you out, so its always advised to drink plenty of water. When im weight cutting I do experience extreme dry mouth, but when its just normal training and im staying hydrated I have no issues with dry mouth. The vodka is just a band-aid trying to cover a huge gash. while it is working its not solving the problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread