Total N00b already want to upgrade - my first mod advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would second the suggestion of getting a mechanical. My advise is to first read up on ecig saftey and vaping...then:
1. Order a mechanical mod from fast tech... nemesis, launcher v2, chi you, origin, caravela, or sentinel
2. Order a clone rda (patriot 22mm) or rba (rsst or KFL) and drip tip
3. Get a couple of sony v4 battery (no assuming that you will subohm... but, why limit yourself)
4. Get a saftey fuse
5. Order wire from temco
6. Order some 2mm braided scilica or cotton
7. order some cheap juice online.

total cost... hardware $30-60 juice= varies

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
Just my opinion here so don't berate me too much but I don't think the suggestion of a mech, fuse, high amp batteries and rebuildable atomizers is the best option for a new vaper that just previously asked for clarification on what a mech / kick is.

OP to answer your questions though...

Mech = mechanical device that does not use electronics to regulate the vaping output. They are smaller because they do not need the circuit board section that variable voltage/wattage devices have but since they are not regulated the power of the device's output diminishes as the battery life drains.

Kick = a small circuit board that attaches to a mechanical device that enables it to be a variable wattage device without the added bulk of an entire printed circuit board section.

Here is an example of a kick.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Evolv_Kick_2_p/evv-2k.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Durham, UK
Ok, having looked at Mechs for a few hours, I'm slightly scared off by the lack of regulation and protections within them. Think I'll stick with circuitry for now. (although I love the look of the manual priming on the REOs).

I hadn't realised until I started looking at various PV's and accessories how much of a poser I am. I looked at the lavatube and the reason I won't be getting one is " it just didn't look 'right' ". I'm sorta sold on the VTR just by look and described feel...

badexec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Ok, having looked at Mechs for a few hours, I'm slightly scared off by the lack of regulation and protections within them. Think I'll stick with circuitry for now. (although I love the look of the manual priming on the REOs).

They have the same regulation and protection of an Ego battery.

It's really not an issue with an off-the-shelf clearo. With a Kick it's going to deliver a solid 3.7 volts from beginning to end of the battery life. You'll control the wattage with the coil. For retail coils over 1 ohm there isn't any need to worry, it will work exactly the same as any VV mod set to 3.7 volts. It's only when you get into rebuildable sub ohming that safety becomes an issue because the wattage draw can become dangerous. It's the coil that controls the wattage.

Basically a mech mod is just a glorified flashlight. They work exactly the same way.

SPACKlick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Durham, UK
They have the same regulation and protection of an Ego battery.
It's really not an issue with an off-the-shelf clearo. With a Kick it's going to deliver a solid 3.7 volts from beginning to end of the battery life. You'll control the wattage with the coil. For retail coils over 1 ohm there isn't any need to worry, it will work exactly the same as any VV mod set to 3.7 volts. It's only when you get into rebuildable sub ohming that safety becomes an issue because the wattage draw can become dangerous. It's the coil that controls the wattage.
Basically a mech mod is just a glorified flashlight. They work exactly the same way.
Aaah, back to being confused. Either way I'm spending over £50 on 4 premium batteries and a decent charger, the device at that point makes little difference right, they'll all pump 3.4-4.1 volts through my 1.5-2.1ohm coil right? so it's just looks, feel and pocket/holster convenience? Or is there something else I'm missing to a mech+kick?

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
iTaste MVP 2.0.

Perfect newbie mod. Lots of power per charge, makes all the voltage/wattage changes, and easily fits in a pocket. (provided you're careful about the topper)

Cheap too. Up and running for $60-$70. Most tube mods are going to cost that much or more without including a battery, battery charger, or topper.

It's a great place to start without spending a fortune. If you decide you want better later on you will be able to spend a fortune then knowing exactly what you want based on your own experience.

Agreed. Built really well - incredibly reliable.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Aaah, back to being confused. Either way I'm spending over £50 on 4 premium batteries and a decent charger, the device at that point makes little difference right, they'll all pump 3.4-4.1 volts through my 1.5-2.1ohm coil right? so it's just looks, feel and pocket/holster convenience? Or is there something else I'm missing to a mech+kick?

Using normal, off the shelf coils a mech mod is basically an eGo on steroids. They work exactly the same way and put out the same voltages.

A Kick is a tiny voltage regulator that fits between the battery and the battery post. With a Kick rather than having voltage variances between 3.4 and 4.1 volts you get a steady, regulated 3.7 volts from beginning to end. That means your last puff on the battery will be just as strong as the first, there will be no degradation in power.

The magic of a mech mod comes when you're building your own coils on an RBA and pushing wattages that exceed what VV mods can handle. Builds that draw 15-30 watts make HUGE clouds of vapor. (And can be dangerous so do not attempt until you're comfortable building coils.)

You can't do this with a VV mod:

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread