Tough Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Well, this week was a tough one. Actually, the last two weeks have been weirdly roller coaster like, and not in a good way. I lost two childhood friends back-to-back and the last one was a complete shock. He was online posting motivational memes on FB on Friday - and mentioned he was going into the hospital for kidney stone treatment.

He never came back. His treatment went horribly wrong and he was rushed back to the ER with symptoms of a heart attack. It wasn't a heart attack. He was almost immediately placed on life support and almost as fast, his organs began shutting down - and now he is gone.

He was a veteran and I always remember him as being one of those guys who was always quick to defend the kids who were prone to being bullied. He was always a really good guy and I wasn't surprised at all when I heard he'd joined the Air Force. And he was also one of those guys you had a stinking suspicion was going to out-live everybody.

This is one of those weeks when it is almost instinctive to reach for a cigarette because I was still reeling from the loss of another childhood friend when this happened. I am relieved and happy to say I didn't smoke. It did serve as a reminder that sometimes the unexpected happens, and it's those moments when that cigarette monkey is going to try and catch you off guard.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I don't want to be a downer. Just remember to be careful - and hug your loved ones.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Well, this week was a tough one. Actually, the last two weeks have been weirdly roller coaster like, and not in a good way. I lost two childhood friends back-to-back and the last one was a complete shock. He was online posting motivational memes on FB on Friday - and mentioned he was going into the hospital for kidney stone treatment.

He never came back. His treatment went horribly wrong and he was rushed back to the ER with symptoms of a heart attack. It wasn't a heart attack. He was almost immediately placed on life support and almost as fast, his organs began shutting down - and now he is gone.

He was a veteran and I always remember him as being one of those guys who was always quick to defend the kids who were prone to being bullied. He was always a really good guy and I wasn't surprised at all when I heard he'd joined the Air Force. And he was also one of those guys you had a stinking suspicion was going to out-live everybody.

This is one of those weeks when it is almost instinctive to reach for a cigarette because I was still reeling from the loss of another childhood friend when this happened. I am relieved and happy to say I didn't smoke. It did serve as a reminder that sometimes the unexpected happens, and it's those moments when that cigarette monkey is going to try and catch you off guard.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I don't want to be a downer. Just remember to be careful - and hug your loved ones.

You aren't downing on anyone - and I'm sorry you have had the week from hell.:wub:

The cigarette monkey is always alive and well - when my Dad died early this year after a 7 year cancer journey, that frickin monkey was in my ear all week long ;)

I managed to ignore him, plus I knew my Dad would find some way to come back and kick my .... if I did smoke :wub:

Hang in there

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    No words, my friend, except to say you are loved and you are strong.

You are strong. Many hugs and healing thoughts headed your way.

Man! Bummer!!

Sounds like you got the no smoking thing whipped.
    Best regards to your friend(s) family(s) and to you too.

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. That does mean a great deal to me.

As far as having the smoking thing whipped...I think every single day that goes by without smoking is a feather in my cap. It really helps that the idea of lighting up a cigarette really scares me now. I just hope that the government keeps its hands off while I am in the last few months of building up supplies. That is a conversation I will have another day. For now, I am busy playing with flavor recipes and trying to make a couple that remind me of some very special people.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Well... I didn't need to hear that. Going in for surgery tomorrow. Hopefully will post and say everything went OK (might not sleep as well tonight though) Since I started vaping and quit smoking (except a few "slips") I have lost my father, my uncle and my cat. I feel for you, especially hard when it's unexpected.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    Well... I didn't need to hear that. Going in for surgery tomorrow. Hopefully will post and say everything went OK (might not sleep as well tonight though) Since I started vaping and quit smoking (except a few "slips") I have lost my father, my uncle and my cat. I feel for you, especially hard when it's unexpected.

I am so sorry. I was not trying to make anyone lose sleep - or cause them any anxiety. I am still feeling a good deal of shock but in retrospect I could have said as much without going into so much detail.

I know how hard that is. I will be keeping an eye out for that update. It's great to hear that you are off the smokes!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Stated another way: Your buddy was a white knight who was eager to run to the aid of helpless wimps.

Damn GOMuniEsq ...

I respect people. It doesn't matter if I agree with them or not, or they with me, as long as they make reasonable sense and don't go too far into the absurd I'm good with it and appreciate the other point of view.

I have no-one on my ignore list right now. That list has rarely had an entry, but you are about to make it.

Get a life.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Damn GOMuniEsq ...

I respect people. It doesn't matter if I agree with them or not, or they with me, as long as they make reasonable sense and don't go too far into the absurd I'm good with it and appreciate the other point of view.

I have no-one on my ignore list right now. That list has rarely had an entry, but you are about to make it.

Get a life.
    You're right. I crossed the line. I apologize for using @fourmedallions friend's tragic passing to promote an ideology.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

I'm so sorry your going through this. My condolences..

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Was this in an outpatient facility or a hospital setting? Definitely take the time to hug the ones you love.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2010
    Orlando, Florida
    I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Was this in an outpatient facility or a hospital setting? Definitely take the tim. e to hug the ones you love.
    Thank you - I am honestly not too sure about which that was. I'm thinking it was outpatient because he was taken to the ER after experiencing symptoms But yeah, I definitely agree that this was one of those reminders to slow down and take the time to appreciate your loved ones.

I also made myself some higher content juice. I've been averaging around 6 mg, which I think is great, but for moments like that, I made a couple of epi-pen juices: one is 12 mg and the other is 18 mg for those moments when I need that jolt of nicotine. I realized after thinking about it, that I probably wasn't getting enough in the juice I had and once I changed it up, the cigarette cravings disappeared.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread