Read this! TPD European regulations come into effect tomorrow: Or do they (UK)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
Signed.

Would that the powers-that-be at the FDA, CDC, OMB, etc., etc., had a single ounce of the good sense that Public Health England, the Royal College of Physicians, Louise Ross of "Stop Smoking Leicester", and Lord Callahan with his "Kill Motion" have been showing.

LottaT

Aug 13, 2015
So you need to sign and choose e.g. "United Kingdom" as your country to be able to scroll down... At least it seems like that is the case, only thing that worked for me. When it chose my actual country and I did not change it, I could not scroll down to click the sign button... Basically you either don't sign or lie, I guess... ;) Maybe it's only me? How about you others, did you pretend to be within the EU if you're not?

PS! I managed to trick it. I went there again, wrote my name etc., changed the country to the UK, managed to scroll down, but not more than I needed, changed the country back and then I could sign. I don't know why, it makes no sense, but for some reason it did work.

So, tomorrow is D-Day for vaping in Europe. The TPD finally comes into effect and will be law in all member states of the European Union.

Now whatever you think of the UK's antiquated parliament and its strange dynastic House of Lords in particular, it does offer the possibility of a surprise from time to time.

Last Tuesday, a Lords committee hearing was held in which several esteemed members lambasted the Tobacco Products Directive. Most importantly, the Deputy Leader of Labour in the Lords, who described the regulations as "bonkers" (and, pleasingly, retweeted me when I tweeted this at the woman responsible, Labour MEP Linda MacAvan).

But wait - that's not the surprise!

Today it was announced that Lord Callanan has introduced a "kill motion" in the House of Lords to prevent the law coming into effect tomorrow. I'm unclear at this stage what a kill motion is, exactly, and a good political lobbyist friend of mine described it as: "very cheeky - not sure if it's ever happened before".

So, who knows - just maybe the UK fails to implement the TPD. And then what?

Oh, also - there's this petition which seems to be doing somewhat nicely - I'm not normally a fan of petitions, but this is a timely one, so please sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaraC

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
So you need to sign and choose e.g. "United Kingdom" as your country to be able to scroll down... At least it seems like that is the case, only thing that worked for me. When it chose my actual country and I did not change it, I could not scroll down to click the sign button... Basically you either don't sign or lie, I guess... ;) Maybe it's only me? How about you others, did you pretend to be within the EU if you're not?

PS! I managed to trick it. I went there again, wrote my name etc., changed the country to the UK, managed to scroll down, but not more than I needed, changed the country back and then I could sign. I don't know why, it makes no sense, but for some reason it did work.

I didn't have that problem, just chose the US and signed. Maybe something with your browser.

LottaT

Aug 13, 2015
I thought of that too, if maybe I have some problem with Firefox... I don't know, but saw somebody else also had problems and couldn't sign... Luckily it was possible to trick the page to work anyway... :)

I didn't have that problem, just chose the US and signed. Maybe something with your browser.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole

I signed without issue using the US as my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread