Tried an RBA with cotton wick, disliking it. What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
My complaint is the taste. I have heard organic cotton produces the best flavor. I have tried several wicks with it thinking I must be doing something wrong, but the flavor is just so terrible it makes me gag. I always make sure the cotton is super saturated, and im not sure if the flavor im getting is a 'burnt flavor', but after time I notice the cotton gets dark around the coils (usually in the 2 ohm range). This happens when I vape at <4v or >5v.

Or maybe its the juice and the cotton? I typically only vape peppermint, high menthol, 24-36mg. I get great flavor with tank cartos at almost any voltage/resistance. The equipment I use is a Vamo with my smoktek rsst, 30 gauge kanthal.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
I have and use these three and have had absolutely no taste issues
I've not seen a taste problem post about any of them and NO NEED TO BOIL

1) Maxim organic cotton balls - Commonly recommended
2) Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton Pads - Even more commonly recommended
3) Pima Cotton Sliver - Get a $2 sample - generous hunk (enough to last a while) - different texture than any cotton I've used (tiny strands) Pima cotton sliver

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Make sure your not using too much cotton, if it doesn't slide freely through the coil when dry it's too much. That is the only time I get any cotton taste.

If it tastes horrible it may be machine oil or even the oil from your hands on the coil which is giving off the bad taste. Usually if I can taste the cotton it's just a t-shirt kind of taste, not good but not horrible either.

I highly recommend KGD cotton, after trying everything from cotton balls to rayon and ramie, KGD is all I use anymore. It's easy and imparts, to me, no taste at all of its own.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It's a lot more important to learn the proper amount of cotton to use than anything else. IMO, boiling cotton is a ridiculous waste of time. When installing cotton in the coil, it should slide through with just the slightest amount of resistance. Too much resistance, if the cotton 'shoulders' at the sides of the coil, it's too much. Too much cotton will choke off the juice. It's like wringing out a wet towel. It will result in a burnt hit. Too little cotton, and the wick won't hold enough juice to keep up as you vape it off, especially if you take long drags.

humdingher

ECF Veteran
Used cotton outta my wife make up bag.
Recoiled a pt2 and nautilus coil. 1.9 and 1.7 respectively.
The kanger head is performing amazing. Big clouds, flavor and no flooding.
The nautilus is not.
Third coil and wick on it. Good for an hour then burnt.
I'm pretty sure I got the notches down, let it sit in juice, tastes burnt after an hour...
Not sure what's wrong but more reason to recoil!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

k75srider

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Stevens Point WI
I use the organic cotton from Wallgreens with no boiling and no problems. Attention to the details is of most importance, the coils should look like a work of art. What everyone has said about it is true also. Technique in how you draw is also important, as is the airflow. Sub-ohm with out enough airflow tastes like crap. Keep trying , cotton and wire are cheap:)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I use the organic cotton from Wallgreens with no boiling and no problems. Attention to the details is of most importance, the coils should look like a work of art. What everyone has said about it is true also. Technique in how you draw is also important, as is the airflow. Sub-ohm with out enough airflow tastes like crap. Keep trying , cotton and wire are cheap:)

Yep. Sub ohming needs two basic things. Sufficient air flow, and wicks that will adequately replenish juice to the coil(s). If either is lacking, it will taste like crap.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
I suggest changing one variable at a time. My first attempts with cotton a few months back were big failures and gave me horrible cotton taste. I tried 4 brands in total. I had also seen the positive reviews from people about the Swisspers from Amazon, so I ordered some. It tasted the same as previous brands. I could taste the cotton. So I boiled it. And the taste went away.

I boiled 4 cotton balls. They lasted me a few months. I was about to boil a few more. But I kept wondering if I should try unboiled Swisspers one last time, now that I am used to wicking with cotton and I know the right amount to use. Last week I tried it, and it tasted clean to me. So I agree with others, check the wick size before you start boiling the cotton, it might just be too much cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread