Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've been wanting to upgrade to the Triton but have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me. I know there are other (cheaper) products that perform the same, I'm interested in Halo's products. Right now I'm stuck between choosing the regular Triton battery or the Variable Voltage.

I understand that you have a little more control with your vape, but here's what I don't understand; they recommend a 3ohm coil with the VV, so I would have to purchase the battery plus coils which is a little costly. The tanks come standard at 2.4 ohms, which is apparently a little too low since you can burn it out. But wouldn't the higher ohms make it the same as if there was no VV?

tl;dr: Is it worth it to get the VV battery or just get a standard one and upgrade to a mod later on?

Thanks

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
The tanks dont come with any coil in them, so you will need to buy coils anyways.

Only if you buy a starter kit do you get coils and tanks in one purchase. Unless you are talking about the mini-tanks, which are part of the G6 line.

Myself, having bought regular triton batteries and a VV one too. I wish I had never bought the regular ones, and just gone straight to the VV. It makes a huge difference.

I know that Halo recommends the 3.0ohm coil for use with their tanks, but I myself prefer the 2.6-2.8 coils with my VV.

Really you are going to want to buy more than 1 battery anyways, you always want back ups to back ups.

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
I have bought 5 different tanks, each came with a2.2-2.4 coil installed

lol!!! I was robbed!! I only ordered extra tanks once, all the same color... i guess i got a batch missing coils, lol.

@Joshua... the 2.2-2.4 coil will work fine for the tank, BUT you are going to want to order more coils at the same time anyways... one coil may not last you very long, depending on the juice you use.. and well you treat it.

Thank you guys for the input, how long would you say the coils last? Standard Triton vs VV, and would the 3 ohm last longer?

I only use Halo e-juice right now, not sure if that make's a huge difference. I've been very happy with the G6 and the mini-tanks, but definitely want to upgrade to the Triton. I'll be sure and start with the VV though, it seems like a lot of people are happy with it.

Thanks

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
if you clean the tanks (and coils) at regular intervals, they will actually last you quite a while. i have 6 tanks and have only had to replace the coil once in the last 4 months (a super gunky liquid was used).

Get some cheap non-flavored denture tablets and soak your tanks and coils for a few hours to get them really clean.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I'm not sure why Halo recommends the 3.0 ohm coils for the VV. So, I'm gonna get all math here...
OK, the VV goes between 3.3v to 4.8v.
Using Ohm's Law, the standard 2.2 coil on a VV will give you wattage essentially between 5 and 10 watts.
The 3.0 coils would give you roughly between 3.6 to 7.6 watts.

So the 2.2 coils have a wider range of power, but the volt setting is touchier. The 3.0 coils aren't as broad, but allow fine tuning, as long as it gets hot enough for you.

To further confuse you, the higher ohm coils use less amps from the battery at a given wattage, so the battery will last longer between charges.

Let's say I like a certain juice at 5 watts. On a 2.2 coil, I need just over 3.3v and it uses 1.5 amps.
On a 3.0 coil, I need to set it to almost 3.9 v and uses 1.3 amps.

(Of course, this is ignoring something I cannot measure. The way the chip produces the various voltages might be more efficient giving low volts, or high volts, no way for me to tell this. As is, the VV chip costs you about a third of the capacity; the 900VV will last you roughly as long as a 650mAh regular battery, usually a bit less. But this is worth it for the regulated voltage, the same hit from fresh off the charger until charging time.)

For me, I had no idea what wattage I liked with Halo juices on the triton. So I'm OK with the standard coils. I see no need to get lower than the 2.2. But I was concerned that the 3.0 coils wouldn't get hot enough.

So, Get the VV battery, try it out with the standard tank with the 2.2 coils. See what you like. And play with the calculator and see if you can go up in the ohms.

(I find this calculator to be great. You put in 2 items from Volts, Ohms, watts, or amps, and it calculates the other 2. Also all the formulas to figure it yourself.)
Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
To further confuse you, the higher ohm coils use less amps from the battery at a given wattage, so the battery will last longer between charges.

Let's say I like a certain juice at 5 watts. On a 2.2 coil, I need just over 3.3v and it uses 1.5 amps.
On a 3.0 coil, I need to set it to almost 3.9 v and uses 1.3 amps.

This is a common misconception, the output amps are lower, but the amps being drawn from the battery are the same
y8Fg3sg.png

5 watts at the coil, 5 watts (plus chip inefficiencies) being drawn from the battery regardless of ohms

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
OK so I'm trying to understand this ohm stuff, but what would be the benefit of going higher? Just to assure you down burn them out as quick? Would going lower (ohms) provide a "better vape"?

Is this chart relevant? http://www.ecigator.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/safe-vaping-power.jpg

Thanks
At a higher resistance/ ohms you are getting a cooler vape, which is usually why halo recommends that for the vv battery. It lets you go into the higher voltages with delicate juices like Belgian cocoa without "burning" them.... However, I've tried both with the vv and I was plenty happy with the regular installed 2.4ohm coils. I still had plenty of range with it, and that will be closer to the g6 in terms of heat output.

It all really comes down to what you prefer. I will say you should get 2 batteries though, because you really need back up on top of the g6. Just trust me on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread