Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
LOL Jonny, I don't laugh at them, I smile and thank them for their repeat business! Some never learn, most of my clients do.

Very true, my friend, very true...LOL

Side note;
I've actually ditched AVG on my personal machines within the past year and have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG just got a bit too bloated for my liking. I don't typically venture to places that would get me into trouble but the wife and kids are a different story. So far so good with MSE.

Virk

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Malwarebytes goes on all my machines, best single program out there.
I find today that MSE and AVG are about equal and yes MSE is much less hassle and what I've been using most on Win7 for clients who want 'free'.

The latest AVG actually is getting more annoying with popups for scanning and tweaking, so yeah, ease of use I've gone to MSE for the freebie.

Breaktru you're absolutely correct about mbam, the free version is only good for a single scan or cleaning, the pay version never expires, buy it once and you're good, and have complete auto preventive protection, best there is imo.

Just amazing the info that can be found at ecf lol.

Virk

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Free? Free? ? ?
I paid for my Malwarebytes and AVG subscriptions.
I think I have the 24 month avg contract.
I didn't know they had free.

Something tells me I am further ahead with the paid subscriptions.

Paula

lol yes both of those come in free versions which are sufficient, however, buying malwarebytes is worth it. AVG I wouldn't buy but since you did, you have the full thing and should be able to get the latest one for free. And technically, these are only free for end users, not businesses, with the exception of Microsoft's MSE which is now licensed to small businesses up to 10 for free. They just made that change a month or two ago.

On the bright side, you should not have to buy mbam again, it doesn't expire.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You still need to have a virus protection software with malwarebytes. For many years I used McAfee. Last year I got a virus and the McAfee, Norton, and several other virus software sites said that the only way to get rid of it was to use Malwarebytes. I have since switched from McAfee to Microsoft Essentials which is FREE. I read about it in Maximum PC magazine which rated it a 9 out of 10.

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Tried in Google Chrome and Firefox, running AVG 2011 (free), Malwarebytes (paid), and Zonealarm (free) on 2 computers - a Vista laptop and Windows 7 desktop - can't get anything to come up. If there IS a problem, I would definitely rather it come up for me so I could see the message. It would definitely be helpful if someone could post the exact message so that if there is an issue with something on the site, we can pinpoint it.

I didn't design or work on the Eastmall site, but I have been a web developer since 1994, professionally since 2001, and I've personally had my own JavaScripting set AVG off before. Not intentionally, but because there was an error in my code, or because I wrote a chunk of code in a way that appeared to the antivirus to be a "signature" of something in the AVG database. These were false positives of course, but while my script was benign, I still had to find and correct the issue of course. Usually the contents of the message that popped up was the only way to diagnose the issue, especially when dealing with hundreds or thousands of lines of code.

And Norton and McAfee should be considered infections because I've watched them mess up many a computer worse than any virus I've ever come across hahaha.

I second that. Those two are just the worst. AVG isn't much better any more (I used AVG for years, until it started getting all spammy and telling me I had to upgrade to the paid version). Microsoft Security Essentials is awesome, and highly recommended.

False positive from some version of AVG is my pick :) All is well in EM Land!

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
I second that. Those two are just the worst. AVG isn't much better any more (I used AVG for years, until it started getting all spammy and telling me I had to upgrade to the paid version). Microsoft Security Essentials is awesome, and highly recommended.

False positive from some version of AVG is my pick :) All is well in EM Land!

From the looks of it, both of them were running AVG, and at least one of the two who reported an issue were still running a very old and no longer maintained version of AVG (2011 is the latest and came out in September I believe). It's impossible for me to roll back to that version and try to reproduce the message. All I can say to anyone with problems, is to update to AVG 2011 and see if it still comes up (or try another AV program besides AVG, just don't get Norton or McAfee) and see if that helps. Some good FREE ones to try would be Microsoft Security Essentials (as coinmaster said), Avira Antivir, or Avast.

I can assure you 100% though that there's absolutely nothing malicious on the EM website.

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Thanks for this input and this discussion guys, this is the same conclusions that were discovered last time this was brought up and posted by a couple of members earlier this year or was it late last year --

any how, as usual - thanks to you techie savvy guys
all the questions have been answered sensibly and intelligently as always
and the same proggies are always at the bottom of the problem issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread