Troubles with Ammit MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I am I pretty new to this whole rebuildable vape thing still. I'm about a month in & not figuring out much...

I started with a Juul about year ago and quit cigarettes. Pod prices became in issue so I invested in a squonker - a Dovpo Topside with a Geekvape Ammit MTL RDA. Also bought some 28ga kanthal and Japanese organic cotton sliver.

I experimented with some store-bought juices and either found them gross (the 35mg nic-salt that is a probably-meant-for-pods juice) or underwhelming (6mg blue raspberry). The blue raspberry was decent, but I could hardly get any flavor our of it... Plus, it was only 6mg regular nic, which wasn't handling the cravings at all.

After blowing through $60 in store-bought juice that I didn't care for, I decided to go the DIY route. I looked up some good sounding recipes, bought flavorings, nic-salt, base liquids, bottles, and a scale. After making a few recipes (with proper steep time where necessary, but I was mainly aiming for SNV style recipes I could try fairly quickly), I was enjoying myself but still not getting the results I wanted from my mod setup.

After trying a few recipes and still finding flavor underwhelming, I stuck them in a Juul pod & discovered the flavor to be immensely better. vaping them through the Dovpo and Ammit MTL RDA I was getting some flavors (the real strong notes), but everything else seemed marred by a harshness that came on with 2-3 seconds of vaping. The only time I actually got a smooth hit with better flavor was when I dropped directly on the coils. Anytime there wasn't fresh juice directly on the coils, I just got harsh notes & muted flavors.

For reference, I have built from 0.8ohm to 1.8ohm 28ga kanthal coils, experimenting a few times with twisted kanthal as well. Usually I aim for 1.1-1.4 ohm, as that seems to be easiest to achieve with the 28ga kanthal. I prefer 2.5mm or 3.0mm ID, but have tried a range from 1.5mm-3mm. I usually space my coils for ease of not having to screw with it too much after mounting it in the atty, but also because I struggle with achieving acceptable contact coils with the 28ga wire (using a coil jig & freehanding). I do give the coils a decent dry burn before wicking. To be honest, I have found no huge particular differences in flavor with these different ohm builds.

My DIY liquids are anywhere from 12mg-24mg nic salts. I have also experimented with adding in 3mg of regular nicotine in addition to the nic salts (I initially attracted to being able to get more of a throat hit by adding in regular nic...). I try to stick to 10-15% flavoring total, although I did try a 19% strawberry cookie in a desperate attempt to get more flavor. That one was way overly sweet, and still harsh)

I have tried wicking an assortment of ways, almost always with the Scottish roll, usually aiming for the firm-but-still-movable tightness in the coil. With my 2.5mm & 3.0mm ID builds I have definitely experimented with packing more cotton in the coil (to the point where I have to hold the coil in place whilst pulling the cotton through) to the less-is-more style wicking. I cut to the length where it will just barely touch the bottom of the juice well, fluff well, and gently push in with tweezers. To be honest, the wicking never looks 'dry' while I'm vaping, I seem to get the Scottish roll style 15-20 puffs with no apparent burnt taste, but the flavor is always muted except for the fresh juice on the coils. It seems to wick well, except for one issue...

it always seems to burn very slightly in the middle! If I let it go all day, it definitely looks pretty black. But I have never noticed any burnt cotton tastes. Just a harshness to the vape that, again, removes almost all flavors.

I really don't know why this happens... I have tried so may tips & tricks. Many Ammit specific ones like different coil placements, lining things up with the small airflow holes the best I can, and wicking so the tails just barely touch the bottom. When I squonk it appears to wick quite well, soaking up a mostly dry wick in a matter of seconds.

Should I give up on the Ammit & go for a different RDA? Or maybe I should just go for a refillable pod device? I was trying to avoid that to save money in the long run by rebuilding, but maybe a rebuildable pod system like Smoant Pasito or the Vapefly Jester might work better? I hate throwing in the towel on this one as I got the Ammit RDA for flavor, which according to many online reviews it should provide for, but perhaps I got a bum one?

This turned into quite the long post. Sorry about that. Any suggestions anyone has is quite welcome! Thank you in advance!

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't really diagnose your problems with the Ammit --- while many love it, I just never got the vape I wanted from it (various builds, coil placements, etc) so I gave it away (since I had a number of other RDAs I did like).

If you decide to try another MTL RDA, I'll recommend either the Cthulhu 1928 RDA or the Vapefly Galaxies RDA. I like them both --- easy to build and give good flavor. Also, slightly more complicated with airflow blocks: Digiflavor Etna RDA or original Berserker RDA. I have all of these in active use and like them all. (there is a new version 2 of the Berserker, but I haven't tried it).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hello everyone,

So I am I pretty new to this whole rebuildable vape thing still. I'm about a month in & not figuring out much...

I started with a Juul about year ago and quit cigarettes. Pod prices became in issue so I invested in a squonker - a Dovpo Topside with a Geekvape Ammit MTL RDA. Also bought some 28ga kanthal and Japanese organic cotton sliver.

I experimented with some store-bought juices and either found them gross (the 35mg nic-salt that is a probably-meant-for-pods juice) or underwhelming (6mg blue raspberry). The blue raspberry was decent, but I could hardly get any flavor our of it... Plus, it was only 6mg regular nic, which wasn't handling the cravings at all.

After blowing through $60 in store-bought juice that I didn't care for, I decided to go the DIY route. I looked up some good sounding recipes, bought flavorings, nic-salt, base liquids, bottles, and a scale. After making a few recipes (with proper steep time where necessary, but I was mainly aiming for SNV style recipes I could try fairly quickly), I was enjoying myself but still not getting the results I wanted from my mod setup.

After trying a few recipes and still finding flavor underwhelming, I stuck them in a Juul pod & discovered the flavor to be immensely better. Vaping them through the Dovpo and Ammit MTL RDA I was getting some flavors (the real strong notes), but everything else seemed marred by a harshness that came on with 2-3 seconds of vaping. The only time I actually got a smooth hit with better flavor was when I dropped directly on the coils. Anytime there wasn't fresh juice directly on the coils, I just got harsh notes & muted flavors.

For reference, I have built from 0.8ohm to 1.8ohm 28ga kanthal coils, experimenting a few times with twisted kanthal as well. Usually I aim for 1.1-1.4 ohm, as that seems to be easiest to achieve with the 28ga kanthal. I prefer 2.5mm or 3.0mm ID, but have tried a range from 1.5mm-3mm. I usually space my coils for ease of not having to screw with it too much after mounting it in the atty, but also because I struggle with achieving acceptable contact coils with the 28ga wire (using a coil jig & freehanding). I do give the coils a decent dry burn before wicking. To be honest, I have found no huge particular differences in flavor with these different ohm builds.

My DIY liquids are anywhere from 12mg-24mg nic salts. I have also experimented with adding in 3mg of regular nicotine in addition to the nic salts (I initially attracted to being able to get more of a throat hit by adding in regular nic...). I try to stick to 10-15% flavoring total, although I did try a 19% strawberry cookie in a desperate attempt to get more flavor. That one was way overly sweet, and still harsh)

I have tried wicking an assortment of ways, almost always with the Scottish roll, usually aiming for the firm-but-still-movable tightness in the coil. With my 2.5mm & 3.0mm ID builds I have definitely experimented with packing more cotton in the coil (to the point where I have to hold the coil in place whilst pulling the cotton through) to the less-is-more style wicking. I cut to the length where it will just barely touch the bottom of the juice well, fluff well, and gently push in with tweezers. To be honest, the wicking never looks 'dry' while I'm vaping, I seem to get the Scottish roll style 15-20 puffs with no apparent burnt taste, but the flavor is always muted except for the fresh juice on the coils. It seems to wick well, except for one issue...

it always seems to burn very slightly in the middle! If I let it go all day, it definitely looks pretty black. But I have never noticed any burnt cotton tastes. Just a harshness to the vape that, again, removes almost all flavors.

I really don't know why this happens... I have tried so may tips & tricks. Many Ammit specific ones like different coil placements, lining things up with the small airflow holes the best I can, and wicking so the tails just barely touch the bottom. When I squonk it appears to wick quite well, soaking up a mostly dry wick in a matter of seconds.

Should I give up on the Ammit & go for a different RDA? Or maybe I should just go for a refillable pod device? I was trying to avoid that to save money in the long run by rebuilding, but maybe a rebuildable pod system like Smoant Pasito or the Vapefly Jester might work better? I hate throwing in the towel on this one as I got the Ammit RDA for flavor, which according to many online reviews it should provide for, but perhaps I got a bum one?

This turned into quite the long post. Sorry about that. Any suggestions anyone has is quite welcome! Thank you in advance!

I've seen a few posts from people saying they can't get good flavour from the Ammit mtl RDA. You could post in the RDA sub forum asking for help on your build.

But @jandrew who posted above, knows his mtl RDAs well - I'd try one of those rdas he suggested. He would also help you with any building issues, as would others in the RDA sub-forum. I wouldn't give up on RDAs just due to one being sub-par - there's plenty of other good options out there.

Welcome to ECF :thumb:

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
    Thanks for the advice!

I, however, stupidly went out and got something completely different, but we'll reviewed: a Wotofo Profile RDA. Unfortunately, it isn't working for me either...

Despite many wicking attempts (pancake & the new wicking method), with a different mesh & once with the frames stapled clapton it came with, I get a horribly wet vape. The flavor of my liquids definitely shines when I can get a semi-dry hit, but most of the time my mouth & throat gets coated with wet liquid. So much so that I got nauseous twice from inhaling/swallowing the juice.

I imagine this is some kind of user error on my part (many reviews specifically called this RDA a 'dry' vape, and there is so many rave reviews....), but after watching every video I could, I still can't get it to stop spitting or whatever into my mouth. Although after I bought it I was concerned how close the coil is to the mouthpiece... certainly doesn't leave much chance for any vapor-spurts to end up anywhere but one's mouth)

So, I'm feeling pretty discouraged. The significant other has been talking me into just trying a cheap pod system - a Nord, Alpha Trinity, AVP, or something of the like. Not a huge fan of trying Smok products after reading many disparaging remarks about their products across the forums. But, there are plenty of others...

So, yeah... Back to the Juul for the time being.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hello @thejacko44, have you considered trying other wicking materials such as Rayon?

For example, I get better results with most atomisers using Rayon. Because if your wicking is showing singing where the middle of the coil, it's showing that liquid isn't being wicked effectively to the middle of the coil (could be too tight through the coil and or cotton fibres not wicking effectively).

Cotton seems very variable, even in the same piece. But some atomisers require that you use it.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I am very new to this (but doing tons of reading/watching) I have a RDA (that can also be RDTA) and takes 2 coils. My issue is I don't have a decent mod (just a little 35 watt) and I'm really a MTL person (but loose airflow) so... as soon as I get the mod I'm getting this:
    $10.30 (Free Shipping) Berserker V1.5 Styled MTL RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (303 SS + Glass, Gunmetal) at m.FastTech.com
    Great deal and very popular! Pods are fine for little back-up/carry around, but you will get tired of replacing pods/coils (and if you get 2 bad ones out of a 5-pack, you might freak out like I did)
    Hey, how many watts you running? How much airflow? What VG/PG ratio? Like I said, I'm just learning, but the more info the better.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I forgot to mention, I have two MTL tanks that use drop-in coils (Aspire Nautilus X and Innokin Prism S) that's why I want rebuildable. The Nautilus X came with the "quad Flex" kit (with RDA... put them together with the extra parts and you have a RDTA) It's a fun kit to have, and you get the Nauti X tank if you want to use drop-in coils. They are very cheap right now:
    Aspire Quad Flex Survival Kit
    I'm just suggesting some good deals to try out... many other choices out there.
    Why not try more "contact" wind coils? I'm curious how you got 1.4 ohm coils with spacing (are you talking about each coil or a pair?) Like I said, I'm just learning this stuff.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I, however, stupidly went out and got something completely different, but we'll reviewed: a Wotofo Profile RDA. Unfortunately, it isn't working for me either...

Can’t say I’ve ever heard or experienced mouth and throat getting coated in e-juice with the Profile. Curious to know what wattage you are operating at?

And although it takes a boat load of cotton, I find the wicking to be extremely easy. Just need to ensure you have enough wick so that there are no voids between the cotton and the mesh. Approx 3x times the amount of a single 3mm coil is roughly correct. A little more won’t hurt. Cut in line with the deck, fluff out any compression from the cut (no need to thin out but it does not hurt), and tuck the ends into the deck. No need for fancy pancake methods (do not know what that is).

I use approx. 3/4 of a Muji pad, hard outer layer removed and lightly rolled. A fully saturated wick has given me well over 20+ satisfying hits before the need to squonk or drip. And depending on how sugary the juice is, a wick will last well over a month.

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Hello, I bought an Ammit about uhh a month or so ago? Anyway, I should also add that I ONLY use rayon for wicking. I just had my 2 yr vaperversery and my taste buds are still changing. I only use rayon because I cant stand the break-in of cotton and rayon seems to have no break-in beyond the first few pulls. Plus the flavor POPS without question on the right build and can make a not so stellar juice palatable for me. I am using the coil that came with it which is ohming out at .69 and I'm running it at 17/18 watts. I have only used Naked 100 Lava Flow 35mg and the slender/tall drip tip. I used the same type of drip tip on my baby beast with a GT4 coil. I also prefer way smaller drip tips on tanks than they come with. OTOH I love my Drop and COV Royal Hunter RDAs using single coil. Two coils is just wasteful juicing LOL imho, not to mention the vape bunnies I have to clean up.

So I know Lava Flow, both in salt nic and freebase well. I can say that after I've let it set for a bit,, that first/second pull is yummy. Then the flavor wanes. Personally I think I'm over wicking, but if I don't I will get leaking. So its a compromise on my part til I decide on a small sqonker for it. Also if I under wick it feels harsh and makes me cough, a lot.

I should have listened, but truly didn't understand all the vloggers when they said the Ammit was more of a restricted lung vs a true MTL vape experience. Then again you just don't know til you experience something for yourself. If I vape too much, I get woozy! So my choices are to either find a higher ohm build that will work for me or find a nic salt that has lower MG.

I've tried my 6mg juices on this coil and didn't like them. I also think that I just prefer a twisted spaced vs Clapton type coils. Once this coil bites the dust I will start experimenting with different builds. I think I should look for an RTA that is more restrictive for my salt nic. I am searching for a RTA/RDA that will be comparable to my Nautilus 2 with .7 ohm coils with the right build.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Before I start to really troubleshoot the problem or start a new thread, has anyone had problems with the Ammit MTL RDA leaking through the 510 connector?

I received one last week and am really digging. Though, when I unscrewed it and sat in on the counter, I noticed juice coming through the 510 connector. Would this be from over dripping? I double checked to see the squonking pin is still in the bag.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Mordacai

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thanks @Mordacai I'm heading to HomeDepot this morning. As well, I started a thread in the GeekVape - Brands Connect forum. I never had an atty that leaked out through the connection and there doesn't seem to be any info online regarding this.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Mordacai

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, mine does and is at this very moment RAWR! I do not squonk and haven't messed with the center pin at all since purchase. I bought a Drop by Digiflavor subsidiary of Geekvape, issues with o-rings, leaks like a cut in a hose on the sides. Now my Ammit straight out the box leaks from center pin. I may just have to steer clear if QC is always an issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread