True Amp Rating of AW 18490s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko49

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
Kentucky
Does anyone know how the 18490's manage this. With 18350's having a 6amp rating, and 18650's having a 10 amp rating, it would stand to reason the 18490's would be somewhere in between, but they're listed with a 15C rating, so 1100 mah x 15C / 1000 = 16.5 amps, it seems almost too good to be true...

The 18490 is a newer cell. The 18650s that you get today where probably all mass produced at the same time using the same technology. I would be surprised if AW didn't release a new 18650 this year with a 20C rate.

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Thanks guys!!! Just bought the AW 18490 and the new purple Efest 18650 35 amp battery! Now I can retire my old EH 18650's, they have probably 200 - 300 charges each at least (probably closer to 400 lol) and I can tell they're starting to wear out simply by how long they take to charge.

Talking about too good to be true, those purple efests look like magic in a tube.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
From Wikipedia... Battery (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
C rate
The C-rate is the multiple of the current over the current that a battery can sustain for one hour.[28] A rate of 1 C means that an entire 1.6Ah battery would be discharged in one hour at a discharge current of 1.6 A. A 2C rate would mean a discharge current of 3.2 A, over one half-hour.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
From Wikipedia... Battery (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
C rate
The C-rate is the multiple of the current over the current that a battery can sustain for one hour.[28] A rate of 1 C means that an entire 1.6Ah battery would be discharged in one hour at a discharge current of 1.6 A. A 2C rate would mean a discharge current of 3.2 A, over one half-hour.
Not sure if you were responding to my post, but this blurb from wikipedia describes a capacity discharge rate rather than a specification. I was wondering how the maximum rate is determined.

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
cary,nc,usa

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
Thanks guys!!! Just bought the AW 18490 and the new purple Efest 18650 35 amp battery! Now I can retire my old EH 18650's, they have probably 200 - 300 charges each at least (probably closer to 400 lol) and I can tell they're starting to wear out simply by how long they take to charge.
Although I mostly trust RTD VAPOR to sell good stuff, those new purple Efest batteries definitely look too good to be true. Personally, I wouldn't run them above 20A, at least until they are on the market for a while and get tested. I'll stick with my AW 1600s for now and get some Sony VTC4 in the future for my high amp needs

Last edited:

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
cary,nc,usa
Although I mostly trust RTD VAPOR to sell good stuff, those new purple Efest batteries definitely look too good to be true. Personally, I wouldn't run them above 20A, at least until they are on the market for a while and get tested. I'll stick with my AW 1600s for now and get some Sony VTC4 in the future for my high amp needs

lol. Don't worry I'm not gonna blow myself up, I honestly don't run anything under .6-.7 (normally) though I prefer batteries with higher amp ratings just because they make me feel safer. I also feel that they last longer, and generally seem to work better than lower amp batteries. Right not I use my sony VTC4's for anything under .9 ohms and I can easily get a full day out of them on a .6 ohm coil. They charge faster than any of my other batteries (@ a half amp) as well.

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
lol. Don't worry I'm not gonna blow myself up, I honestly don't run anything under .6-.7 (normally) though I prefer batteries with higher amp ratings just because they make me feel safer. I also feel that they last longer, and generally seem to work better than lower amp batteries. Right not I use my sony VTC4's for anything under .9 ohms and I can easily get a full day out of them on a .6 ohm coil. They charge faster than any of my other batteries (@ a half amp) as well.

Sounds like you have some common sense, that's good. I'd just hate to see what happens when a 3500mah battery kersplodes near someone's face because they wanted to find out how a single wrap twisted 26ga coil worked, lol

Last edited:

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
I've always trusted the 16.5A spec for the aw imr 18490.

Speaking of amp draw, There is a 50A battery on the market. Only thing is that its a 26650 (Sony). It looks like the 30 amp 18650s. I have no need for that though. 0.5 ohm is plenty low for me, I couldn't imagine going sub 0.1 ohm.

AW is way behind the technology curve now, I wouldn't trust efest, but LG @30 & Sony @30 are both excellent and totally out pace AW for high drain, and AW's 1600 mah capacity is paltry compared to either of the above

stylezuk

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
I wouldn't give my worst enemy an Xtar battery, true garbage

So there batteries don't hold weight but there chargers do? Just wondering why?

AW is way behind the technology curve now, I wouldn't trust efest, but LG @30 & Sony @30 are both excellent and totally out pace AW for high drain, and AW's 1600 mah capacity is paltry compared to either of the above

Yeah i have VTC4's & AW 1600 and the 1600 drain is awful even the INR 22A seem better batteries under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread