trying to make my own coils -need guidance-Please :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Ugh... Wise ones, I failed and wonder if you might be able to help me see my error(s)? My coils are jumping and inconsistant!? :-( Well,one of them anyway. The others all taste awful. I got my 32 guage kanthal from discount vapers. I was only able to burn the wire with a cigarette lighter- is that good enough? Does wire that is already annealed need to be burned? I am frustrated. I've read a lot and watched lots of videos... Any advice would be great! Even more links to threads with lots of Q & A's already on em, or videos. Anything, lol... Thanks for being helpf and patient with me :)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
IMG_20131203_093457.jpg heres one of em... I think it looks pretty good? Function is everything tho....
A picture is worth a thousand words...lets see your build.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
You can use a cig lighter. The heat makes the wire stay in place while and after you wrap your coil. So heat the wire back and forth a few times, then wrap the coil. Try wrapping the coil on a drill bit....what ever size you desire, or if re coiling a Protank type head, one that will fit down into the bottom of the head and inbetween the slots on the sides of the head.

You can, if you feel the need, heat the coil again once it is wrapped on the drill bit which will take even more of the springiness out of the wire..... and if you want, get some needle nose and squeeze the coil tight together, heating, letting the coils touch each other. This is a micro coil and will not short out. Then slide the coil off the drill bit to install.......OR keep the coil on the drill bit ( which I do) and install....THEN slide the drill bit out.

Then install the cotton inside the coil...keeping it a "loose fit" because as soon as it is juiced, the cotton will expand and be just right. If your using wick, I would discard it and use cotton, preferably organic cotton from CVS or somewhere like that. Tastes better and easier to use.

Last edited:

Elantis

~≈Dragonfly≈~
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Hoosier Cornhusker
When I started building with the T3's all I used was a cigarette lighter so you should be good to go with that.

From what I can tell from the picture, your coil looks really good, but the pic is tiny so it is hard to tell. First you need to make sure none of the coil is touching anywhere on the inside of the T3 base, I made that mistake a few times trying to fit it in there.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is where you clipped the neg and pos wires after threading them through. You need to make sure they are as closely clipped as possible.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I totally agree with Thunderball. I use a cig lighter all the time. Just heat the coil till it glows. It stiffens the wire so it holds it's shape better when you wrap your coil. Then wrap it around a small drill bit or nail, etc., about 4-5 wraps. It will take some experimenting to find the right size drill bit and amount of wraps to bring you to the ohms you prefer. And it only takes a small amount of cotton. Put some VG or ejuice on your fingers and twist the cotton into a thin thread and feed it through. It should feed through with little resistance to wick good. Too thick and it won't wick as good. Once it's in the coil, wet it good even on the bottom side of the coil otherwise your cotton is gonna burn. You should have a great Vape. The first few hits or so will be a break in with the cotton and then the coil and cotton gets to tasting amazing :)

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Oh, and with cotton I never had luck wrapping the coil around it. It always seemed to choke the cotton. The only successful way with cotton is doing the coil first and then feeding the cotton in your coil afterwards. Your pic looks like you've got too much cotton. If you can't feed the cotton through, then you've got too much cotton.

Last edited:

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Okay, I did most of that- not sure I did tge squeeze with plyers method this last round and I didn't use a drill bit. I used a little metal rod I got out of a binder clip. lol... Hubby brought me a drill bit tonight to try after dinner.
Is there a way (aside from obvious burn marks) to tell if the legs are causing the yuck flavor by burning my gromets? So far they are not more burned than anything I have experienced with stock heads.

You can use a cig lighter. The heat makes the wire stay in place while and after you wrap your coil. So heat the wire back and forth a few times, then wrap the coil. Try wrapping the coil on a drill bit....what ever size you desire.

You can, if you feel the need, heat the coil again once it is wrapped on the drill bit which will take even more of the springiness out of the wire..... and if you want, get some needle nose and squeeze the coil tight together, heating, letting the coils touch each other. This is a micro coil and will not short out. Then slide the coil off the drill bit to install.......OR keep the coil on the drill bit ( which I do) and install....THEN slide the drill bit out.

Then in stall the cotton inside the coil...keeping it a "loose fit" because as soon as it is juiced, the cotton will expand and be just right.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    If you wrap five coils(32 ga wire) should give you around 2.0 ohms 6 wraps around 2.4- 2.6 ohms. Prime your wick prior to use and wait a few min to soak in.

If your coils are jumping its could be many reasons.

1. coil not screwed into base enough.
    2. tank not screwed in enough.
    3. wire shorting out though when this happens usually stays shorted out.

I use a lighter to burn all my wires.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 30, 2013
    Torrance, CA

vjdossey

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA

vjdossey

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    My wires can definetly be more flush- great point. I thought they needed to be sticking out-thank you!
    When I started building with the T3's all I used was a cigarette lighter so you should be good to go with that.

From what I can tell from the picture, your coil looks really good, but the pic is tiny so it is hard to tell. First you need to make sure none of the coil is touching anywhere on the inside of the T3 base, I made that mistake a few times trying to fit it in there.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is where you clipped the neg and pos wires after threading them through. You need to make sure they are as closely clipped as possible.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    I am greatful for your advice. Great pic too! Can't wait to get into something like what you have, bsby steps tho... lol and for a couple months now ive been using the sugars and cream cotton in all my heads, silica and I were never friends. Last week I gave it a shot just cuz I had new heads and thought now that I know a little more maybe it won't be such a thorn in my side but.... I still think it taste odd and doesn't wick like cotton. I want to try regular cotton, soon! Is it very different than yarn?
    Look at this pic for an idea on how mine looks when I do it and see the difference in amount of cotton. The pic might be upside down when I post it. Not sure why it posts my pics upside down. Lol.
    View attachment 279336

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    You can later start with and Igo-l and they aren't expensive. Micro coils and cotton are great. Only trouble with Igo-l's is you will need to drill out the hole with a 1/16 drill bit probably. Have fun rebuilding because it's great fun and so much better and dependable vaping with than the premade coils that are hit and miss and ya never know if they will be good or leak, etc., etc. but that pic was using a cyclone AFC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread