Status
Not open for further replies.

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
Let me just start buy saying I'm not new to this, so calling me names or downplaying my knowledge of rebuildables is not at all conducive to helping me with my issue.

Let's get to it.

I bought a Tugboat V2 recently, and I can't find a build I'm happy with. I've built about 20 (no exaggeration) builds, ranging from hex 28G Kanthal parallels to basic 24G dual-coil builds with Arsenal or Hotwire. Everything I build makes me cough, and several have caused the atty to heat up to the point I can't hit it. I understand the hefty SS dome retains a fair amount of heat, but based on the positivity the atty has garnered in reviews and on this forum, I would like to give it the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I can't figure out what the problem is. I've built coils from a millimeter above the lip to a couple millimeters above the posts. I've tried verticals, horizontals, and diagonals. I've tried as close to the posts as possible, and as far away from the posts as possible. Everything gives me the same issue. What is the deal here? Any advice will be appreciated, as I really want to like this atomizer. It's gorgeous and easy to build on. But this problem has left it all but useless.

Please keep in mind that my usual builds (you know, the ones I enjoy hitting from the time I wake up until I lay down for bed) are between 0.18Ω and 0.24Ω, usually either 3/32" ID or 7/64" ID. My main atty has dual 5/32" air holes. Since each air hole on the V2 is 3/32", I figure completely opened they total about 6/32" worth of air flow. Point is I don't think air flow is the problem. Thanks in advance for your intuitive responses.

Oh, and I use a mech mod.

VapinSweetZ

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm building mine with 24G Kanthal, 8 wraps 2.4mm ID, dual coil 0.27ohm.
I place them sightly above the juice well and I wick them a bit loose but trying to fill the whole juice well, just not too tight.

At 40-45W I keep 1 air-hole open on each side, at 60W all of them open.

tbv2.jpg

Last edited:

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
I'm building mine with 24G Kanthal, 8 wraps 2.4mm ID, dual coil 0.27ohm.
I place them sightly above the juice well and I wick them a bit loose but trying to fill the whole juice well, just not too tight.

At 40-45W I keep 1 air-hole open on each side, at 60W all of them open.

View attachment 396085

The pictures are helpful here, though I have built in similar positions and still had the coughing problem. I run a mech, so my .20Ω coils are pushing about 88W. I think both air holes open on my V2 is appropriate, no?

coolercoiler

Dec 5, 2014
uk
DSC_0923.jpg DSC_0925.jpg DSC_0934.jpg

I usually run the same type of power to yourself 0.15-0.25ohm on a mech, this build has been in for while now at 0.24ohm, 0.6mm kanthal 8 wraps 3mm id, I cant understand the problems you are having as mine has seemed to perform very well no matter what build i put in. I try to position the coils fush with the top of the screws and closer to the posts, any higher and you can short on the tapered top cap.

Tugboat v2 is my go to dripper, also my first authentic dripper i bought, even has a special edition union jack for us brits.:)
hope the photos can help as i cant think of any thing else other than maybe some machine oil deep in the post holes or a short somewhere.

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
I have the V2 and havent been able to find a happy medium as well. I also have the V1 and absolutely love the vapor and flavor out of it. I feel the dual airholes are the problem. The V1 only has one of the airholes per side which works perfect for my taste.

I also feel as though the AFC on the V2 is poorly designed. Trying to work around it. Thanks for the input, brother.

View attachment 396194 View attachment 396195 View attachment 396196

I usually run the same type of power to yourself 0.15-0.25ohm on a mech, this build has been in for while now at 0.24ohm, 0.6mm kanthal 8 wraps 3mm id, I cant understand the problems you are having as mine has seemed to perform very well no matter what build i put in. I try to position the coils fush with the top of the screws and closer to the posts, any higher and you can short on the tapered top cap.

Tugboat v2 is my go to dripper, also my first authentic dripper i bought, even has a special edition union jack for us brits.:)
hope the photos can help as i cant think of any thing else other than maybe some machine oil deep in the post holes or a short somewhere.

Interestingly, I did some research after posting this and figured machine lube might be the issue. I soaked the V2 in 90% for about an hour last night, then washed it clean with dish soap and scalding-hot water. It seems to be hitting more smoothly now (basic 5/4 wrap, Chadster 24G Hotwires, 3/32" ID. 0.20Ω) but I don't want to jinx it by writing off the problem as "fixed." Thanks for the input.

LeftHandBlack

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2013
Brighton Co

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
Yah I position my coils high too. Before wicking the cotton I put on cap and dry fired coils too see the red glow thru holes. Thats how I line my coils directly in line with the holes.

How much of the underside of your coils can you see? As in, when looking at the coils through the air holes, do you see the entire coil? Just the bottom half? Just the top half?

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
quick question. Is this your first run into a dripper? I know that my kanger and my drippers I have to use a significantly lower nic level on my drippers. I use a 12 on my kangers and around 4-6 on my drippers. If I use 12 on the drippers (for testing juices) the hit usually is a lot more harsh than wanted.

Not by a long shot. I make my own juice, and the current batch is 1.5mg. Thank you very much for your concern, though. I believe when I first started dripping I was vaping 10mg juice. I've slowly worked my way down.

Edit: In fact, this is the first atomizer that has given me any issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread