Not open for further replies.

Ken Kaneki

Mar 28, 2019
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes I would call the airlines. You CANNOT put batteries in your checked luggage. I believe this applies to internal batteries too. If you are departing from the US you will need to follow their rules for liquid storage in checked items to get through customs anyway so that may mean liquids. deepening on how much you bring, would have to go in checked luggage. I would be surfside if the airline says liquid is vape gear but they might. You really need to call them and ask. Also, due to pressure changes you may not want to have liquids that are chock full they may leak. Same with tanks, you will want to carry them empty so no leakage happens.

Best of luck. Call the airlines you cannot be too careful. I don't know exactly when "flying the friendly skies" became "If we find a pocket knife on your kid your entire family will be detained and caned." Well I kind of do. But I don't play. Not with airlines. And I sort of like fooling around, honestly. But not with airlines.

Your friendly US Ambassador's office may be of use somehow as well, I'm not sure (I am again assuming that ambassadors are friendly. I wouldn't know. My only real interaction with one was some Romanian dude rear ending me, jumping out of my car and freaking out and then saying, "I just quit smoking! Do you have a cigarette?" LOL he acted EXACTLY like a frightened teen who just crashed his parent's car. He wasn't unfriendly exactly but he did no inquire about my welfare either and I was bleeding.)

But they could be useful. In general? IDK.

Anna

Ken Kaneki

Mar 28, 2019
Yes I would call the airlines. You CANNOT put batteries in your checked luggage. I believe this applies to internal batteries too. If you are departing from the US you will need to follow their rules for liquid storage in checked items to get through customs anyway so that may mean liquids. deepening on how much you bring, would have to go in checked luggage. I would be surfside if the airline says liquid is vape gear but they might. You really need to call them and ask. Also, due to pressure changes you may not want to have liquids that are chock full they may leak. Same with tanks, you will want to carry them empty so no leakage happens.

Best of luck. Call the airlines you cannot be too careful. I don't know exactly when "flying the friendly skies" became "If we find a pocket knife on your kid your entire family will be detained and caned." Well I kind of do. But I don't play. Not with airlines. And I sort of like fooling around, honestly. But not with airlines.

Your friendly US Ambassador's office may be of use somehow as well, I'm not sure (I am again assuming that ambassadors are friendly. I wouldn't know. My only real interaction with one was some Romanian dude rear ending me, jumping out of my car and freaking out and then saying, "I just quit smoking! Do you have a cigarette?" LOL he acted EXACTLY like a frightened teen who just crashed his parent's car. He wasn't unfriendly exactly but he did no inquire about my welfare either and I was bleeding.)

But they could be useful. In general? IDK.

Anna

I'm not going to the US nor am I a US citizen or resident so IDK if that applies outside the US.

I have found this forum post on google Airline policies on carrying devices/Liquids, the guy who posted later replied that Turkish airlines confirmed that he could but that was on December 2017 so it wouldn't hurt to ask again I guess.

I also found on Turkish airlines website that I can bring liquids in under 100 ml containers and they must be in a seal-able plastic bag under 1 L in size so I guess that applies to e liquid also.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I hope you have a great trip.

I also hope you don't have to go through the "Yes, TSA here I am NAKED before you scan." I have a theory that a little bit of your soul is stolen every time you have to do that.

I have seriously thought about to just ask to be patted down, but unless I dressed overtly as a Muslim woman or whatever, it might be suspicious. And by that I mean suspicious either way.

Also, I bet getting patted down steals a bit of your dignity. So it's kind of six of one....

But I hope you have a good trip. Sounds to me like it will be okay.

Anna

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
that I can bring liquids in under 100 ml containers and they must be in a seal-able plastic bag under 1 L in size so I guess that applies to e liquid also.
Yes, the 100 ml rule is pretty much valid everywhere nowadays, and vape gear can’t be in the checked luggage simply because nothing that contains LiIon batteries is allowed in the luggage compartment. You can however pack e-liquids in your checked luggage, no 100ml limit there.
Something else (I hope you have thought about): is vaping legal where you’re going? Unfortunately there’s quite a few countries where it’s illegal...

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I have found this forum post on google Airline policies on carrying devices/Liquids, the guy who posted later replied that Turkish airlines confirmed that he could but that was on December 2017 so it wouldn't hurt to ask again I guess.

I also found on Turkish airlines website that I can bring liquids in under 100 ml containers and they must be in a seal-able plastic bag under 1 L in size so I guess that applies to e liquid also.

It's always best to check with the airline, so you'll certainly want to do that. Nonetheless, the common requirements are as follows:

E-liquids
You've got the correct requirements for carry-on. Each container has to be no more than 100 ml, and all the containers (along with any other liquids you've got) must fit into a single 1 l plastic bag (security usually provides the plastic bags so they can be sure they're the right size). Eliquids can also go in your checked luggage. Note that if you've got any liquid in your tank, it has to go in the bag too. People often empty their tanks before flights because the change in air pressure will make them leak.

Batteries
Most (all?) airlines prohibit li-ion batteries in checked luggage but allow vape-sized batteries in your carry-on. (No lithium batteries in the cargo hold because it's too hard to fight a fire there if they explode.) If you have an internal battery device, make sure it's turned off or locked. Removable batteries should be removed from the device and stored in proper battery cases.

Good luck. I hope your trip goes well!

Ken Kaneki

Mar 28, 2019
After my trip I can confirm that the standard liquid rules apply to eliquid and no one ever stopped me because of my vape ( I have an Aspire spryte with a built in battery ), I had no problems whatsoever bringing my vape onboard, I emptied it beforehand and kept it in my waist bag on the plane flipped upside down so if the eliquid in the cotton were to be forced out it wouldn't cause any issues and be caught by the cover (which happened). Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread