Twisted wire question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I'm wondering is a twisted wire coil the same as running 2 coils in parallel?

No, it is not the same.
The wires together will be a reduced ohms, but not a 50% reduction like parallel, but due to the now thicker strand.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No, it is not the same.
The wires together will be a reduced ohms, but not a 50% reduction like parallel, but due to the now thicker strand.
Really? One would think the resistance would be equal. I’ve messed with twisted but not parallel so I bow to your experience with this one. I guess the twisting raises the resistance some?
Sort of.

@THE OP: Are you talking two single coils or one parallel coil? Assuming the former you have more cotton and you have to deal with coil balancing. With the latter the difference is more minimal

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
An easy way of looking at is two strands twisted is like one larger gauge wire.
For instance, two 30g kanthal wires twisted together will yield a resistance very close to one 28g kanthal wire if the diameter and number of wraps is the same. That is only in so far as resistance is concerned.

Is resistance the comparison you're trying to make?

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Nope. With twists you are effectively increasing the diameter-- reducing the gauge-- of the wire strand. Two coils in parallel-- assuming they are the same resistance value, which they always should be for vape purposes-- will yield a resistance half the value of either. Making a twist coil will also reduce the resistance of a coil the same size and wraps with single wire, but it won't be exactly half.

Using twists gains you two things in practice: it increases the ratio of surface area to volume-- the surface area is where the vapor comes from; heat in the middle of the wire is useless-- similarly to but not as radically as Clapton wire and it makes the coil wire a good bit stiffer, meaning it can last longer in service. I run twists a lot. It's a good way to go.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
Reactions: stols001

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
An easy way of looking at is two strands twisted is like one larger gauge wire.
For instance, two 30g kanthal wires twisted together will yield a resistance very close to one 28g kanthal wire. That is only in so far as resistance is concerned.

Is resistance the comparison you're trying to make?
Wrong again.

Reactions: sorrynomore

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I guess the resistance would also be increased by the amount of twist that you put into the two wires.

That would only apply if he was correct which he is not.
Multiple wires are multiple wires. Twisted or not.
A simple way to look at twisted wires is parallel coils in a shorter distance.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
That would only apply if he was correct which he is not.
Multiple wires are multiple wires. Twisted or not.
A simple way to look at twisted wires is parallel coils in a shorter distance.

You and the OP are not together on your terminology.

The OP is asking about the resistance of two individual coils wired in parallel (dual) vs. the resistance of the same two wires used to make those individual coils being twisted together.

Two coils WIRED in parallel is NOT the same as a parallel coil.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You and the OP are not together on your terminology.

The OP is asking about the resistance of two individual coils wired in parallel (dual) vs. the resistance of the same two wires used to make those individual coils being twisted together.

Two coils WIRED in parallel is NOT the same as a parallel coil.
I understand perfectly what he is saying. The resstance of dual single coils will be the same as a single coil of the same wire twisted together or as a parallel coil.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I understand perfectly what he is saying. The resstance of dual single coils will be the same as a single coil of the same wire twisted together or as a parallel coil.

Only if the length of the initial wire used stays the same.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
A 10 inch single strand wire is not going to yield a 5 inch length of twisted wire.

A 5 inch length of twisted wire will not yield the same resistance as a 10 inch length of single strand folded in half.

The mass of the 5 inch twisted wire can change based on how much or how little you twist it.
You have to extrapolate it out based on number of twists, pitch of the twists, etc.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
A 10 inch single strand wire is not going to yield a 5 inch length of twisted wire.

A 5 inch length of twisted wire will not yield the same resistance as a 10 inch length of single strand folded in half.

The mass of the 5 inch twisted wire can change based on how much or how little you twist it.
You have to extrapolate it out based on number of twists, pitch of the twists, etc.
A 5 inch piece of twisted wire will have approx. 1/4 the resistance as a a 10 inch piece of single wire of the same gage.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
A 5 inch length of tightly twisted wire is not going to have the same mass as a loosely twisted 5 inch length of wire.
It doesn't really matter. It's not going to make that much of a difference when making coils to vape with to make a considerable difference. Like I said you're making this way more complicated than it is. I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread