Twisted pair 26 ga

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I personally just use the default in steam engine. I twist until it snaps on one of the ends during twisting. :2c:
The default is 0. Yes, for a really tight twist I can see going till it snaps. The 26 ga wire is about 0.4 mm dia so in theory the tightest spacing would that value... might just go with 0.5 mm... should be close enough. Once I twist the wire, will measure 10 twists and divide by 10 (for future reference)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
This might sound "...." but I have a choice of which way to twist the wires (clockwise/counterclockwise)... does it matter concerning which way I wrap the coil (I will be doing clockwise... wrap over from left to right) Doubt it matters but maybe it will help the wires stay twisted tight? This is my first attempt at this (have a vice and cordless drill) Wish me luck.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Here's a pretty picture to help :thumbs:
    twistPinch.jpg

As you've figured out, this would be a Pitch Twist of 1.5mm

This might sound "...." but I have a choice of which way to twist the wires (clockwise/counterclockwise)... does it matter concerning which way I wrap the coil (I will be doing clockwise... wrap over from left to right) Doubt it matters but maybe it will help the wires stay twisted tight? This is my first attempt at this (have a vice and cordless drill) Wish me luck.

I don't think it matters, especially with thicker wire. Once you have a tight enough pitch, the wires stay twisted and won't unravel

Reactions: Seiggy

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Well... it went ok... twisted evenly but not as tight as I hoped (and yes... went till it snapped off) Anyway, twist spacing look like about 1mm. Oh well... my first try (have lots of wire) Going to wind a coil but might use it in my rta instead of the rda I had intended. I kept tension on the wires as twisting (maybe too much) and it's Kanthal (breaks easily?) In the future, want to try SS and Ni80 wire for this... any suggestions (BTW, not interested in TC... just use power mode/watts)

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Seiggy

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    So I wound a coil... 3mm 7wraps and put it in my RTA (that's pushing it for this RTA... Silverplay doing restricted DL) I have enough twisted wire left to actually do dual coil in my RDA (Axial) Was going to do single coil but going for it... thing will probably blow my head off! Oh, it came out to 0.65 ohms (took some "raking/stroking" to even out) did dry burn (slowly) at 25 watts... should be able to vape this at least 35 watts easily. Filled with juice and waiting (I'm very patient) Rayon wick. The Silverplay is prone to leaking so who knows.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    RTA is doing fine... 25 watts, 30 watts... no leaks vaping fine. After dinner, bumping it up to 35 watts. Yes, I will try this home-made twisted pair wire in the Axial RDA (dual coil) 3 mm, 6.5 wraps (dual) should come out about 0.3 ohms and will run 60 watts (or more?) Thanks for the tips... this was fun ;)

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    You are in California. Clockwise.
    If you were in Australia, then do it the other direction.

:)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    That's funny (I used to work as a housekeeper at motels... once in a while I would see a toilet that flushed backwards... would say "It must be an Ausi toilet)") I assume your joke means it doesn't matter... the coil wound just fine (didn't seem to be an issue) I have always liked the concept of a twisted pair... simple but more surface area (and less mass than "fancy" wires)

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    I would see a toilet that flushed backwards...

If you go far enough North in Canada (I'm talking dirt roads only) everything goes down the drain clockwise (helps clean the pipes). I've twisted NI200,A1 & SS from 28 to 32 gauge. I use the Daedalus drill and just let it slide while it twists (clockwise). Use in both Watts & TC. I think you get a little bit better flavor over single wire coil. Playing with twisted in my Wasp Nano (Dripper & Squonk configured) 7 wrap 3.0 ID using SS 30 (IIRC) at about .11 ohm. It's OK....

EDIT: Sorry but my SS 30 @ .11 ohm was NI200 instead. Just realized the Nano was on a DNA 40 which only does NI200 in TC... I'm just getting old and have too many mods running at the same time.

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016

:)

There isn't an option in Steam for the corealis effect
    But there should be such an option!
    If there were a straight pipe connecting Australia and California right through earth's core, and you would flush a piece of twisted wire through it, it will unravel.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    How does a mod know what material the coil is (always wondered that)?

Well from the DNA 40 pdf: The DNA 40 will automatically detect whether a temperature sensing (Nickel 200) or standard (Kanthal etc) coil is attached.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the resistance of the coil. Since NI200 has little to no resistance compared to Kanthal or Nichrome. I don't think SS, Ti or other temp controlled wire types were in much use when the DNA 40 first came to market. But they all still have more resistance per specific length than NI200.

Now with that said, some of the more complex coil/wire configurations could reach the low ohms of NI200 and that indeed would be interesting.......

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread