Two new battery box mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
Heavy duty re-chareable mod

I have finally perfected my ultimate "all day" battery box after several weeks of prototypes.Requirements are;
Battery charge must last at least one full day/evening
Must be safe from accidental switching on when carried
Must take both 401 supermini and 901 mini atomisers.This by making an adaptor (in picture) from two burnt out 901 atomiser connectors mounted "back to back" in a length of cut down atomiser tube.
Most immportantly can be re-charged by plug in to power source (no battery removal required)

Having experimented with different battery set ups I have ended up using 6 AAA NiMh rechareable batteries (1.2volt-1,000mAh each),two banks of 3 wired in series then both banks wired in parrelel to each other.This gives 3.6 volts at the atomiser.I have used higher voltages (up to 7.2volts) but burnt flavours coupled to atomiser failure resulted allto frequently!
There are four "ports" to the box (80-50-30mm) being
2.1 DC chasis socket for 901 atomiser connection (here's a goody-a 2.1 DC chasis power socket has the correct thread and airflow bypass-no more battery wrecking needed).
Minature rocker master switch
Push to on momentary switch
Second 2.1 DC chasis socket for re charge plug in

All the above parts needed are from Maplins.My Philips cordless phone has a mains trickle charger for it's own NiMh battery pack and I have "piggy backed" off this charger to allow overnight re-charge of the juice box.(So far not burned the house down)

Lightweight mod

This second mod uses the body of a mobile phone emergency back up battery pack (Asda-£3) together with a Canon Ixus Li-ion 3.7 volt 1120mAh battery.These batteries can be bought online for as little as £7.I would imagine many other compact cameras use similar batteries so if you allready have a camera (and therefore a charger) it would pay to check out the battery.With a "push to on" momentary swith and a 2.1 DC chasis socket to take 901 atomisers this little beauty gives at least on days vaping

Attachments

• Web P1000020.jpg
    Web P1000020.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Web P1000021.jpg
    Web P1000021.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Web P1000024.jpg
    Web P1000024.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Web P1000026.jpg
    Web P1000026.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Web P1000029.jpg
    Web P1000029.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 184

Rubberjohnny

Jan 25, 2009
The perfect alternative to using a 901 battery connector (necesitating the desstruction of a battery) is a 2.1 or 2.5 ALL METAL tubular chasis DC power socket from Maplins.(NB. NOT the cheaper black plastic version).
The product code is JK10L and they cost just over £1
It has taken me weeks to discover these.I knew something would do the trick since our American cousins kept refering to a chasis coax connector but thanks to us having the same language but different meaning I kept looking in the audio section, not the power fittings section.I only discovered it by accident when I found I had screwed my atomizer onto the re-charge power socket of the first mod above.Needless to say I have just cleared the local Maplins out of all their 2.5 versions for use in furthur mods!!

Yes, Canon NB 5L from my wifes defunct Ixus. You can buy generic replacements for as little as £6.5 on the net.Excellent batteries to use for mods-perfect voltage/ampage and good long life between charges.

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
It has taken me weeks to discover these.I knew something would do the trick since our American cousins kept refering to a chasis coax connector but thanks to us having the same language but different meaning I kept looking in the audio section, not the power fittings section.

lol - I know what you mean. I have the same problem reading this mods section. Some kind of glossary/conversion thread would be handy :)

Those parts from Maplins are a good find. I have one round the corner from work so reckon I'll be popping in there at lunchtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread