The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Two years, and 13 hours

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by nanovapr, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nanovapr

nanovapr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 15, 2011
    Catatonic State, USA
    since my last cigarette. I haven't been posting in recent months, I have been keeping up on the treadmill of life. EDIT: My counter is flaky, but it was two years and 13 hours at the time of posting...

Thanks to ECF for being here, to the mods for keeping it sane, CASAA for working so that we can have a future, and all of you for helping each other and yourselves!

Like most of you, I spent too large a percentage of my life killing myself slowly, and eventually spending a lot of money to do so. In my particular case, I still loved smoking, but grew disgruntled over the health realities, BT, and the taxation of cigs. I have quit many times, in many ways, but never for more than a few months. During those few months, I was never pleasant to be around.

It's easy to make excuses to keep smoking, I made them all.

I am *not* an expert, and nobody asked me, but since I am waxing eloquent I will make suggestions about how it worked for me. YMMV

1. To quit smoking, you really only need two things. A device that works for you (charging, form factor, blahblah) and juice that you like.

2. Don't feel obligated to stop smoking immediately. I was an accidental quitter. Initially I wanted to smoke some and vape some. I could save some money, and not have to stand outside in the rain. It's OK to smoke while you are learning what works for you. You can do that for the rest of your life, if you want to.

2b. Keep an idea of where you are on supplies. You need backups of everything (home, work, car). After I decided to actually quit smoking, two weeks in I had two battery deaths in two days. I only had two batteries. After 12 hours of crazy, I had to smoke.

3. Learn your device well, before you start collecting more and more! It can be convenient to wind up with a couple of different styles that work for different life situations. If you buy one every week, you will spend a lot of money and could still be deep down unhappy that "it's not working like I thought it would". Many of us as smokers can be a wee bit OCD anyway. Don't let collecting get in the way of Not Smoking (tm)

4. Don't buy a gallon of the first juice that you like. It will take a month or more before your damaged sense of taste/smell start regenerating. What you loved initially you may hate in a month. Buy lots of small samplers, to discover what you like.

5. Yes, you will save money, lots of it. See #3 and #4 above.

6. At the end of the day, all PVs are just batteries. How long they last, charging, the form factor, the ability to adjust them during use are all just variations on a theme. Some of the cig-a-likes have a lifetime of 30 charge cycles. Some larger ones can be charged 500 times. Find the balance that works for you. What *does* matter, is the actual vaping end of it. Explore attys, cartos, tanks, RBA. Try them all, this is what determines the taste and vapor production.

7. Support your local vape shop. I know you can get this stuff from China for cheap. Your local B&M is spending a lot of money for rent and employees, and the ability to sample juice is not possible on AliBaba. They are also providing a valuable service in being a first exposure to vaping for many. Go in and hang out. If nothing else, buy some drip tips, juice, attys or cartos. Check out the new PVs.

8. With few exceptions, the kiosk at the mall is not a good deal, nor a good idea. Free trials online or from radio ads are always a ripoff. You will spend a lot more on much inferior equipment and then have a hard time getting it off of your credit card.

9. Don't be arrogant about vaping in public. They don't know that you are not smoking from 10 feet away.

10. Don't get in flamewars on ECF about your favorite PV. Yes, there are idiots here, don't be one. If it works for you, that is the best one for you.

11. Once you get comfortable with vaping, consider DIY. Juice is what costs the most in the long run. Start small, measure with precision, keep detailed notes, be safe. You know what you like better than any description on a web page.

12. Join CASAA, and do things.

13. ECF is great for support. Don't be afraid to bare your soul to kindred spirits here in a hard time, you can find a lot of strength.

2. mooreted

mooreted Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2011
    California
    Gratz on two years, that's great, and good advice too.

:vapor:

3. The Ocelot

The Ocelot Psychopomp Verified Member ECF Veteran

Fabulous post! And congratulations on your vapeversary! So, what are you buying to celebrate? :D

4. JoJoVa

JoJoVa Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Washington, DC
    I too was an accidental quitter, but I know that ECF played a huge role in me abandoning the analogs. Congrats to you and continued success...great advice.

5. chargin

chargin Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2010
    Boston
    Good job on the 13 hours !

The 2 years too.
    Keep it up.

6. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    Congrats Nanovapr!!

great advice :)

7. Section9

Section9 Senior Member

May 9, 2013
    Central Florida
    Congrats and thanks for the wonderful advice, discovering this forum most likely saved my life.

I wanna spread the word to my still analog smoking friends and convert them.

It's good to be resourceful and keep tabs on what you've learned. So far it's been one hell of a ride an exciting one that is!

8. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

Congratulations :)
    Wonderful post.

9. Amish3006

Amish3006 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Congrats. In two years I hope to be saying the same thing. :)

10. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    You must have started about a month before me. My 2 year is coming up 6/15. Congrats on the milestone.

You post here is fantastic and great for all newbs to read. Especially liked no. 10.

11. Paraflier

Paraflier Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2010
    Pierce County, WA
    Great post, and congrats on the milestone!:thumbup:

12. Sm0kyBlue

Sm0kyBlue Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2013
    Excellent!!

Congrats and thanks for confirming what I am reading :laugh:

Vape on!! :bday::thumb::banana:

13. bnrkwest

bnrkwest ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Congrats and excellent advice! bnrk

14. peraspera

peraspera Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2012
    midwest
    A big congrats on your success and thanks for such wonderful words of wisdom.

15. eratikmind

eratikmind Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Congrats, nanovapr!

Thank you for your excellent insights and comments.

- Andy

16. wandawag

wandawag Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 27, 2013
    jacksonville, florida
    congrats on your milestone. your post was wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.