UFS DCs and mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
I know it's Ody season, so please forgive this digression, as I do love my DC vaping.

I'm finding that at 7.4v and 3.0Ω I can blow the carto in a predictable amount of time.

My theory on the problem: The coils are vertically stacked and bottom fed. Under moderate use, with this load, the top coil eventually becomes starved, and fails as it simply can't get fed.

Theoretical solution: Since the cartos have filler, the ingress is limited by osmosis, and additional ingress points should not result in flooding (??). So, using my punch, providing minimally a top feed, and possibly a middle feed, should keep the cools wet, even under load.

Thoughts? Anyone try something like this?

-Z

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
It may very well work, only way to find out is to try ;-)

In my experience, just from punching DCs for tanks, I've had difficulties with multiple or large holes. Basically I just stick to one, roughly between 1/16" and 3/32". If I punched two holes or slotted them or just punched too big I would have issues with flooding and/or collapsing of the center tube. not every time, but often enough that I stopped using all of those options.
I've seen other people praise all of the above methods, but I didn't get good results, so I guess as always it's a YMMV situation ;-)

That said, in the UFS I can see it working with just a single hole punched, maybe at mid-level so it still feeds through there as your juice level starts to go down. If you try, do let us know how it works :) So far I've only used attys in my UFS

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
As it turns out, the coil in the Ody just blew, and and I blew out my last ikanvape atty, I had little choice. (My stock of ivanvapes is with my BIL, who hasn't smoked in 3 days, I'm told.. so that's all good).

I used the punch from COV, which pops pretty small holes. I put in 2 punches and closed off the bottom. Vaping like a champ, and seems I can hit it as hard as I want and it's staying wet.. We shall see.

-Z

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Are you feeding at all with the juice control or just from the punches? Just curious

And congrats to your BIL :)
Strictly with the punches. And it's still going strong. The filler keeps it from flooding. Key is to keep both coils wet. I do tilt it often like one does with a clearomizer.

I'm hoping to throw away this DC due to it getting gummed up, as opposed to frying it, for once.

-Z

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
The first one must have been luck. Luck in that I never torched the coils, but the internals failed at about 24 hours. I've seen it happen with the clear DCs - the poly starts to collapse on in itself. In this case it started collapsing resulting in the top hole direct feeding, not via osmosis. Titling to wet slightly flooded. Had the tank been full, it would have been totally flooding.

The repeat attempt is best described as a 'spectacular failure' untimely resulting in the sacrafice of several paper towers in the disaster recovery effort, a toasted carto, and dripping to my trusted ikenvape atty.

Todo for tomorrow: build a new coil for the Ody, and quit messing around.

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread