Unexplained weight gain whilst vaping...

HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED WEIGHT GAIN THAT IS NOT CAUSED BY OBVIOUS FACTORS?

• I have experienced weight gain that has no obvious cause

• I haven't gained or lost any weight - more or less stable

• I have actually lost weight whilst I have been vaping not by diet or exercise.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi all
1.gif

I'm conducting this research on various forums I'd like input if you have noticed the following..

If you have experienced unexplained weight gain that is NOT the result of bad eating habits or lack of exercise - i.e. the only thing that changed in your lifestyle is that you quit cigarettes and vaped instead full time.

have you noticed weight gain in the form of excess fat that doesn't have a really clear cause?

I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between unexplained weight gain and vaping with as many vapers as possible...

both Myself and my wife have experienced gradual weight gain over the last 2 years since quitting analogues and vaping full time - we adhere to a strict exercise program and watch our calories daily and have done so for nearly 5 years and kept records and we have noticed that there has been weight gain since quitting that doesn't seem to attributable to food or exercise levels at all and we are trying to deduce if there may be a link to vaping.. we kept our weight stable for over 3 years before this...

I'm curious to see if there is a correlation with vaping regarding PG / VG or if it's just because there is now an absence of chemicals from not smoking that affects Metabolism or thyroid levels for example...

cheers

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
hi i started vaping in september... in the following 4 months i gained 30 pounds.
i went from a size 4 to a size 10.
my doctor ran tests, checked for diabetes, thyroid, pregnancy,
i am the biggest i have ever been in my life... minus when i was pregnant. the worst part is i had my last child, lost all my wieght was down to 120 (usually 116 lbs) then i started vaping and the weight just piled on. I am now 152 lbs... i'm not use to being fat. so it's really hard. it's causing a depression for me. clothes are uncomfortable so i live in sweat pants.

athousandyears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Texas
hi i started vaping in september... in the following 4 months i gained 30 pounds.
i went from a size 4 to a size 10.
my doctor ran tests, checked for diabetes, thyroid, pregnancy,
i am the biggest i have ever been in my life... minus when i was pregnant. the worst part is i had my last child, lost all my wieght was down to 120 (usually 116 lbs) then i started vaping and the weight just piled on. I am now 152 lbs... i'm not use to being fat. so it's really hard. it's causing a depression for me. clothes are uncomfortable so i live in sweat pants.

My situation is similar to yours. I've gained about 20 lbs since I quit smoking in September.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm not sure where you are going with this "weight gain that has no obvious cause" concept and therefore it must be vaping related. There are a lot of things that screw people up that are quit smoking related that don't have a thing to do with vaping, including endocrine disorders and related weight gain, Chron's disease, ulcerative colitis etc. Most of those disorders have no obvious cause either, just a known correlation to quitting smoking whether the person ever embraced vaping or not.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Sorry to hear. I'm 29, started vaping a year ago after successfully quitting cigarettes 2years before. A move put me through a lot of stress, and I moved in with a smoker so the cravings picked up, that's when I got into vaping.
I've actually lost weight since I started vaping. I think it's because I snack less as I'm getting good flavors another way as well as satisfying my hand to mouth compilation. My life style completely changed, so it may not just be the vaping. I've lost about 20 lbs. I'm sorry to hear you guys have seemed to pick up my losed weight. Have you tried cutting out the vaping for a while to see if there is any change? Maybe switch to some other way to get your nicotine that is not cigarettes. Obviously not for ever, but maybe try that for 6 weeks and see if there is a change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
hm......

I'm trying to determine if there is a correlation between unexplained weight gain and vaping with as many vapers as possible...

What exactly do you mean by "unexplained weight gain"? And what is the purpose of this poll? What / whom will it serve?

Weight gain is one of the most popular side effects of smoking cessation. Not vaping, but smoking cessation. See here:
Why smokers gain weight when they quit smoking: Changes in intestinal flora -- ScienceDaily

When smokers wave goodbye to their cigarettes, eighty per cent of them put on seven kilos on average.

Most smokers put on a couple of kilos when they quit smoking. This is not due to an increased calorie intake, but to a change in the composition of the intestinal flora after quitting smoking, as a study supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) suggests.

A quick Google search on "smoking cessation weight gain" will supply a lot of reasons for that allegedly "unexplained" weight gain:

https://www.google.de/webhp?sourcei...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=smoking+cessation+weight+gain

- I would caution anybody to think before participating in such a poll. You never know where - and for what purpose - the results will be used.

Note that the OP wants to establish a connection between weight gain and vaping, not a connection between weight gain and smoking cessation. Although the cause of the alleged "unexplained weight gain" is smoking cessation.

Please also note that, for example, the CDC is trying to recruit people who stopped smoking by switching to vaping and who are experiencing so-called "smoking-related" diseases: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/media-general-news/563140-cdc-tv-ad-2-500-dirty-trick.html
The CDC will pay those people to appear in their advertisements. Those answering this poll will do so for free.

Last edited:

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Eating more{or more bad things}= weight gain. Vaping alone can't possibly do it. It has no calories.
I began my decision to quit smoking with weight loss first. That way I figured anything I might gain will be negligible, and I can get a handle on it right away with a correction. I have lost 27 lbs by cutting back on carbs, gluten, and processed foods. Eat clean....step away from the computer once in awhile and get some exercise....:)

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida

read the last statement in the OP's original post...

why don't you try reading the post before commenting.
funny,, ihave one person on my ignore list and i find them here.

I have gained wieght, my doctor thinks its from not smoking. that even cutting back on cigarettes affects your metabolism.
i have been on a strict diet and stay hungry most of the time keeping my calories around 1000 a day. i exercise daily.

wether it's vape related or not, YOU can not say. You don't really know. each person is an individual.
i had a professor, a dietician, when i met her, her eye was swollen shut... turns out she can't eat salt... even a little bit makes her face swell.
does that mean salt is bad for every one..... answer is no.

if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
trust me, i don't want to think of vaping as bad.
but i do suspect their will be side affects..

maybe more for some than for others.

my husband made a good point to me,
he said that just because it doesn't have calories doesn't mean it can't affect weight.
what if it slows metabolism rates for some people...
just like cigarettes speeds up for some people.

disclaimer here, he is not a vaper :)

my family has been really concerned about my weight.
my mom was convinced i was pregnant.
i was for sure it was thyroid.
my husband was suspected diabetes.
all were negative.
they did ultrasounds of my stomach.
ran blood tests a few times now.

I'm working really hard to not gain any more weight.
this is coming from a person who use to have too work hard to keep weight on!

I was trying to loose weight.
but the doctor asked that i stop doing that.
instead he wants me to try to maintain my weight.
i was getting really tired. turns out i wasn't getting enough calories.

i have been curious for some time if any one else was experiencing weight gain.
and in my opinion, a thread like this might help those of us who have gained weight, to pin point why.

Even if it's not vape related.
it makes me feel better seeing that atleast 4 other people are struggling with me.
I am not alone.

i am not lazy.
i don't eat junk food.
i exercise everyday that i can.

power walking, 2 miles a day and dance aerobics 1-2 hours a day.

which is alot more than i did before when i was skinny.

to the OP i would say, get a workup from your doctor if you'd like to rule out some possible medical issues.
i did and it made me rest easier. All my tests came back great. Thyroid is good, no diabetes, heart was good. No tumors or cysts. etc.

i'd rather be fat than die from smoking.
but the really messed up part is, wether you quit smoking or not, you'll probably still get cancer if you live long enough.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
i think you may have a problem with reading comprehension.
i think you should read the original post.

No one has claimed that any weight gain is from vaping exclusively...

so there you have it... people don't read things before responding

There you have it.
Now please explain how you think the weight gain is related to vaping, and not to smoking cessation / cutting back on smoking.

I as well have been gaining some weight, its kinda tricky to pin point it on something spcificly, but my eating habbits are generally modrate, (not horable but not so good), i havn't read up to much on weight gain from quiting smoking, but i do know that A lot of people gain weight when they quit, Weather its eating more because apperently ciggarettes suppress appitite..

for me im just going to up my activity level and should shread it off no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread