Upgrading from an ego-C twist ---> Silver Bullet???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adavicro

May 10, 2013
United States
Hello guys, I've been lurking around for a while doing a lot of research, and I have some questions to ask. I started vaping 4 months ago, and I haven't picked up an analog since then. I started off with the Inferno from Volcano e-cigs and moved to an ego-C twist that I got from a friend, and I'm really liking the variable voltage option. Now I want to move on to mechanical mods because from what I've read, they're reliable and don't have anything complicated to them.

I've come across the Silver Bullet from Altsmoke, and I like the simplicity in its design. That prompted me to do more research on it, but a lot of the threads/review videos seem to be old. Has the Silver Bullet become obsolete or is it still worth buying? I mainly use LR boge 2.0 ohm cartomizers set at around 3.7-3.8 on my ego twist, so I like it around there. I don't like all the bells and whistles of some other mods have like the itaste mvp, although I'm pretty sure it's a great little PV nonetheless, but I just like something that I can just pick up and vape. I'm not sure if these reasons are enough to get it, but I would like some input from the community especially from people who own the Silver Bullet.

One more thing. I know I could get a kick to drop in for variable wattage, but comes at the cost of draining the battery faster. Does anybody know how much vape time you get from a kick+18650 if you're a heavy vaper? A kick+18490/500? I know vape time is subjective but I'd like to see how long of a vape time people get on average.

Thanks for reading this, and I know it may sound confusing because I can't really organize my thoughts together, but I hope to hear the community's thoughts on this. If there are any questions for me to help make or break my choice then I'll be glad to answer them.

the griffin

May 2, 2013
London UK
The Silver Bullet is a brilliant mod but it is not a true mech mod. It has wires so you try sub-ohm stuff on it you will burn it out but for normal coils it is great. Think you could drop this off a building and it would still work. As for using a kick I use one with an 18490 and get a good life out of it. You can get a collar so that you can use a kick with an 18650 which should give you an all day vape

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

mottlycrw

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Wisconsin
You had mentioned these concerns/points...
1. Variable voltage
2. How long the battery lasts
3. Reliability
4. Simplicity
5. something you can just pick up and vape

I know you must have looked at the MVP by the comment you made about it. I do have to point out that this is one EXCELLENT, and built like a tank mod. The only "bell and whistle" aspect to it is that it does have variable voltage just like your twist, only you push buttons rather that twist a knob. There are no complicated menus like the ZMAX or Provari.

The MVP battery lasts me a solid 1-1/2 days and I am a heavy chain vaper. My MVP feels very comfortable and very solid in my hand. As far as reliability and simplicity its the best and it IS something you can just pick up, push the button and vape.

Oh yeah... you can also vape while you are charging (passthrough). I guess you can say that's another "bell and whistle". It also has a charging port to power other devices, but I can honestly say I have never used that feature.

I highly recommend the MVP. Hope this helps on your quest.

sunny881002

Moved On
Sep 5, 2013
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You had mentioned these concerns/points...
1. Variable voltage
2. How long the battery lasts
3. Reliability
4. Simplicity
5. something you can just pick up and vape

I know you must have looked at the MVP by the comment you made about it. I do have to point out that this is one EXCELLENT, and built like a tank mod. The only "bell and whistle" aspect to it is that it does have variable voltage just like your twist, only you push buttons rather that twist a knob. There are no complicated menus like the ZMAX or Provari.

The MVP battery lasts me a solid 1-1/2 days and I am a heavy chain vaper. My MVP feels very comfortable and very solid in my hand. As far as reliability and simplicity its the best and it IS something you can just pick up, push the button and vape.

Oh yeah... you can also vape while you are charging (passthrough). I guess you can say that's another "bell and whistle". It also has a charging port to power other devices, but I can honestly say I have never used that feature.

I agree with what mottlycrw said about the MVP. It's a variable voltage PV like your twists, top voltage being 5 volts. It has a + and - button to increase or decrease the voltage. The unreplaceable battery lasted me nearly 2 days between charges, and has a USB cord to charge with. Mine came with the USB/wall connector, too. I won mine and ended up giving it to my ex who is going to try to quit smoking. But I used it for about two months on a daily basis and truly enjoyed using it. It is more pocket-friendly than a Silver Bullet would be. The SB is a large mod by comparison and quite hefty in weight.

I don't use my Silver Bullet much any longer. It was my first mod and I used cartotanks on it. I'm kinda spoiled by variable voltage now. That's not to say you wouldn't enjoy a mechanical. RBA's are not the only reason to use a mech. For myself I prefer being able to easily adjust the voltage to suit whatever juice flavor I might be vaping at the moment. I typically change flavors 3 - 4 times a day, so a Kick in the Bullet would not be a good option for my vaping habits.

Family2.jpg clear&frosted-tank-1.jpg Bella-Phin-Frog.jpg

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Another vote for the MVP. It's a solid, affordable, good working and looking unit. Mine never leaves my side and being a moderate vaper it lasts me up to three days before it needs a charge. It keeps track of your vapes, uses colors to tell you when the battery needs charging, green for good, yellow for about half battery left, and red for time to charge. Very simple but hard working mod. Another nice thing is it comes with everything you need, besides juice, to start vaping right out of the box. No need to buy additional batteries or special chargers. which can add up quickly.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The SB has been around for a long time now, ironically it's still the PV that all others are compared to, and it's still the best of it's class.
    I look at buying a new PV in terms of what am I trying to gain, or what problem am I trying to solve, and then look for the one that best fills those needs.
    As an example, I was tired of every PV I had needing a different size battery. So I got an extension cap for my Provari mini, and a DX-490 so that my Provari, Reo, and mechanical tube mod all use the same battery.
    When I went looking for a mechanical tube I wanted it to be as simplistic as possible (sorry, no telescope junk) at a "fair" price. (I did expect a little better performance out of the box than what I got tho, but the fixes were easy)

Last edited:

Adavicro

May 10, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the input you guys. It looks like the MVP has a lot of love amongst you. I did look up the MVP prior to making the opening post, but there was an issue that pbusardo made in a review video that concerned me. I think if the puff counter reaches 999 and you take one more puff to make 1000 it goes through a cleaning(?) cycle where it would fire for some time with the carto/atty/etc on. I'm pretty sure this is avoidable if I reset it before 999 though, right?
    Also, I have come upon Cisco LR atomizers, and they say that their attys are made to be used with 3.7v battery mods, and can reduce the life of egos, so if I were to have the MVP it would be ok to use that atomizer on it, correct? Since the MVP itself is technically not an ego, but on the other hand it's not exactly a 3.7v battery mod either. Any input on this?
    The more I look into the MVP (v2.0) the more I find it practical to get over the SB, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread, and help a new vaper out! Much appreciated.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Now I want to move on to mechanical mods because from what I've read, they're reliable and don't have anything complicated to them.

I've come across the Silver Bullet from Altsmoke, and I like the simplicity in its design. That prompted me to do more research on it, but a lot of the threads/review videos seem to be old. Has the Silver Bullet become obsolete or is it still worth buying? I mainly use LR boge 2.0 ohm cartomizers set at around 3.7-3.8 on my ego twist, so I like it around there.

I've never used a SB but you're not getting much information on it so I thought I would offer my opinion anyway. They have been around for a while but are still available. Reviewers concentrate on new stuff. Is it still worth buying for you? Only you can answer that question. You already know you like Boge cartos at 3.7 to 3.8 V. IMO that's a pretty good setup for this mod. The Boge cartos will take the higher power of a fresh battery very well and most of your time will be spent in the voltage range you like.

One more thing. I know I could get a kick to drop in for variable wattage, but comes at the cost of draining the battery faster. Does anybody know how much vape time you get from a kick+18650 if you're a heavy vaper? A kick+18490/500? I know vape time is subjective but I'd like to see how long of a vape time people get on average.

My mechanical vaping is done at low resistances with low mAh batteries so I have no experience with this setup. In your case I would buy the new Panasonic high drain Hybrid batts that are 2900 mAh. If you don't use a kick you will probably want to take them out when they get to about 3.7 V. With a kick you can run them down to around 3.2 V under load and it will shut you down. Nice because the batteries have no protection built in. Considering you will not be boosting power with a fresh battery at 4.2 V you might actually get a little more time with the kick.

Hopefully someone who has tried it either way with your type of setup will give you better information. Best of luck with it!

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I think if the puff counter reaches 999 and you take one more puff to make 1000 it goes through a cleaning(?) cycle where it would fire for some time with the carto/atty/etc on. I'm pretty sure this is avoidable if I reset it before 999 though, right?
    The counter resets every time you turn it off and turn it back on. Just check it every once in a while if you go on a major vaping run

Also, I have come upon Cisco LR atomizers, and they say that their attys are made to be used with 3.7v battery mods, and can reduce the life of egos, so if I were to have the MVP it would be ok to use that atomizer on it, correct? Since the MVP itself is technically not an ego, but on the other hand it's not exactly a 3.7v battery mod either. Any input on this?

You'll have no problems with Ciscos but I wouldn't run them at too high of a voltage or you'll get nothing but burnt hits and probably blow the atty. I'd start at the whatever the atty is rated and move up until the vape is to your satisfaction.

Check with ivape dot com for a good deal on the MVP if you choose to take that path. Good luck!

mottlycrw

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input you guys. It looks like the MVP has a lot of love amongst you. I did look up the MVP prior to making the opening post, but there was an issue that pbusardo made in a review video that concerned me. I think if the puff counter reaches 999 and you take one more puff to make 1000 it goes through a cleaning(?) cycle where it would fire for some time with the carto/atty/etc on. I'm pretty sure this is avoidable if I reset it before 999 though, right?
    The more I look into the MVP (v2.0) the more I find it practical to get over the SB, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread, and help a new vaper out! Much appreciated.

My MVP DOES NOT kick into a cleaning cycle after puff 999. I have let it round robin back to 0 many many times. it has never done that at all. Maybe they changed that after complaints. Mine is about a month old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread