retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Welp, it's time to drag the house into the 22nd century and upgrade/replace the existing security system. The house was built a little over 10 years ago and has the standard motion detection sensors (not used because of the critters), and window/door sensors.

I've been doing quite a bit of research, and as much as it pains me to say it, it looks like Ring (yeah, Amazon) has the products I desire that will make upgrading a breeze. I would really prefer Nest products as I already have a Nest thermostat (if you don't have one of those, GET ONE! THEY"RE AWESOME!). The one thing that stood out with Ring's products is they have a motion detection floodlight that has a security camera built into it. As I do need to replace the floodlight in the back yard, this would fit the bill perfectly as I was wondering how the heck I was going to install a camera back there without having to bring the power cord through the wall to the interior of the house.

Questions for those of you that use video doorbells/security cameras from Ring. How do you like the products? Is the video quality good? Are your alerts to your mobile device timely or is there a significant delay?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@retired1
I have an Ademco system installed by the local alarm system company (the owner also lives in our subdivision). All sensor wiring was installed during the home construction. In the 20+ years since we moved in we've only had a couple of false alarms. One was a failed fire sensor and the other was a door sensor that went intermittent and wouldn't let us set the alarm. Those occurred in the first year and there's been no false alarms since then. We have replaced the 6v lead acid backup battery that sits in the alarm panel box twice when it reported low battery and wouldn't allow us to set the alarm. It just chirps when it can't maintain a charge and tells us to replace it. I order the battery from Amazon.

Since that time connectivity has allowed modular wireless systems to be installed without wiring in the walls. I guess you just replace individual batteries as they fail?

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
@retired1
I have an Ademco system installed by the local alarm system company (the owner also lives in our subdivision). All sensor wiring was installed during the home construction. In the 20+ years since we moved in we've only had a couple of false alarms. One was a failed fire sensor and the other was a door sensor that went intermittent and wouldn't let us set the alarm. Those occurred in the first year and there's been no false alarms since then. We have replaced the 6v lead acid backup battery that sits in the alarm panel box twice when it reported low battery and wouldn't allow us to set the alarm. It just chirps when it can't maintain a charge and tells us to replace it. I order the battery from Amazon.

Since that time connectivity has allowed modular wireless systems to be installed without wiring in the walls. I guess you just replace individual batteries as they fail?

There is an existing security system, but half the window sensors need to be replaced, as well as a malfunctioning door sensor that causes the panel to display an error at times. My thought is to start with the front and back, then expand as necessary, allowing me to get rid of the existing system.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There is an existing security system, but half the window sensors need to be replaced, as well as a malfunctioning door sensor that causes the panel to display an error at times. My thought is to start with the front and back, then expand as necessary, allowing me to get rid of the existing system.

Something to check ...

A couple of times over the years I've had the window magnets accumulate what looks like tiny iron filings that interfere with the sensors. When that happens we can't set the alarm when we leave. Cleaning the sensor face and the magnets fixes the problem. YMMV.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Something to check ...

A couple of times over the years I've had the window magnets accumulate what looks like tiny iron filings that interfere with the sensors. When that happens we can't set the alarm when we leave. Cleaning the sensor face and the magnets fixes the problem. YMMV.

These things are over 10 years old. Some are cracked, a couple are missing, and it's yesterday's technology. And a few receive direct sunlight for several hours out of the day. Texas summers are brutal on stuff like that.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
These things are over 10 years old. Some are cracked, a couple are missing, and it's yesterday's technology. And a few receive direct sunlight for several hours out of the day. Texas summers are brutal on stuff like that.

Our Ademco system was installed when we build the house in 1997. For 25 years it has performed well except for a failed fire sensor and a couple of times when a window or door sensor magnet caused an inability to set the alarm or a cause a false code while armed. I've been through about 3 backup batteries in that time.

I haven't looked into current technology lately. I've sure there's better systems available now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread