Upgrading to silver contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I was thinking about what you could do to upgrade a favorite mod you may already own, or perhaps one you just need to improve upon. I haven't seen enough pins internally to know how many sizes are used or how cost effective it would be to get silver pins (or silver plate the existing ones) but I was wondering if this was something that was done.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I made some SS pins for Chemesis. I did one voltage drop test and the SS pins beat "silver" plated pins by a small margin. Perhaps measurement variability. Quantity of clean surface area in contact with batt and thread flights more important that silver plating. All else equal, clean silver plated brass should improve conductivity by a small, likely insignificant, margin.

My Chemesis has significantly better voltage drop results than my other mod because Chemy switch has a large surface area in contact with ground.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
Thanks! I was just wondering because one of the mods I fancy has copper contacts. I know copper has great conductivity, but I wondered what how much more it could have possibly cost them to go with silver. Do you think it doesn't make enough of a difference? I honestly don't care as long as a mod will hit well. If I were to get a mod with copper and the hit wasn't great, I wouldn't be able to help thinking that it could have been satisfactory with better materials. Still not sure exactly how much of a difference this all makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread