USB 5v-6v step-up, cheap too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dattmavis19

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Clemson, SC
www.facebook.com
Idk if this would really be useful or not, but i suppose if you can/wanted to run your usb powered/usb passthrough mod or maybe even a stock passthrough(idk if it would mess it up) at 6v instead of 5v, this would be an easy, inexpensive way to do it. Or maybe itd make regular e-cigs charge faster? I just dont know. Little tech knowledge, i just know theres 5v and 6v vaping, usb is 5v, and this makes it 6v. Sounded possibly useful.

$2.30 - USB 5.0V to 6.0V Voltage Step Up Dongle - Cables & Adapters

$2.30. Its a dongle, bout an inch or so long, male usb on one end and female on the other. Steps up 5v to 6v.

Let me know if i found something useful, or un-useful, or something people have already discovered many many times.

Maybe i have changed the world of USB powered vaping forever!!! though i seriously doubt it:facepalm:

dattmavis19

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Clemson, SC
www.facebook.com
in this case the 400mA refers to the current that the USB is able to supply, for 6 volts you'd need 2 Amps if driving a 3 ohm atomiser.

mA = milli Amps
mAh = milli Ampere hours

How does a regular USB passthrough work then?

And couldn't you just use a LR atty, or would it not be low enough?

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
How does a regular USB passthrough work then?

Your computer generally only supplies up to 500mA. Technically you should not use a PT on a computer because you are pulling over twice that current. That is why most people recommend using a USB power adapter rated at 2A (2000mA) or more. If you have a low quality computer componant you can fry your motherboard plugging one into the computer.

One of the things that seems to be confusing you is the similarity of terms.
Amps or milli Amps is a measurement of current
Ampere hours or milli ampere hours is a measurement of how long a battery can discharge a certain current level.
EDIT: supposedly a 650mAh battery can discharge at 650mA for one hour. This is always over stated.

I hope this helps clear things up.. IF not keep asking...

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com

A LR would actually increase the current draw. To get a good Idea of whats happening with a PV think of your atomizer or cartomizer as a big resistor and then do some searches on google about ohms law and wattage. I think that will clear some things up for you.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Just to clarify a bit: There are TWO types of PTs. A 3.x volt PT with an in-line battery and a 5 volt "direct" PT.

For the 3.x volt battery PTs (including the eGo PT, or any PT with battery) they just trickle charge the battery. You vape from the battery at 3.x volts. These are fine to use on the USB computer (generally speaking) since they only draw about 400 ma (that's .4 amps). It won't benefit from a step-up dongle and could even be harmed by it.

For the 5 volt direct PT .... Yes, you need about 2.0 amps. Some USBs can supply enough current, but it's still not a good idea to risk stressing the USB port and/or under-amping the device. Just get a 2.0 amp wall wart or better for 5 volts. If you plug that step-up dongle into a 2.0 amp wall wart and try to pull that many amps through it... bet it fries if it works at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread