Using a Laptop power supply for passthru?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob dole

Nov 7, 2018
Hello

I'm at a desk/home a lot, and was wondering if its 'safe' to connect a laptop powersupply to a mechanical mod, instead of the batteries. I'm not sure because even though 50 watts is fine for my watofo profile /w mesh, the laptop powersupply is high(er) voltage/low amperage vs my battery mod 2x18560 low voltage/high amperage (hg2 batteries ~20amps).

Laptop powersupply 25v/2a output = 50watts

Thinking of taking the leads from the powersupply, and connecting it to a mechanical mod tube, like the from wismec vicino (can't post link)

Thanks

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Short answer: not the way you seem to want to do it.
Long answer:
For like $6 you can buy a device that is designed to do what you are talking about more safely. Part of the problem is usb produces 5v so things are a bit overpowered to begin with. Your second issue is the laptop as a power supply. Law prop power over usb is just weak. A desktop would be fine, but you’re really pushing it with a laptop. It MIGHT work, especially if it’s some sort of monster gaming laptop, but one of those 10 hour ultra portables? You’re beggging for a PSU issue that could torch your machine. Now; one of those wall wart usb power adapters that charge phones? That would be much more likely to be ok, and if it blows you’re out $5

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No. I'm not talking about a USB passthrough. I'm talking about using a laptop AC adapter and connecting it to a mechanical mod (designed to hold batteries). Was thinking about a DC transformer too. Mostly I'm wondering if 50 watts to a rda atomizer is the same, whether its 25 volts x 2 amp or 3.33 volts x 15 amps.
So is there some sort of hardware switch that sets the thing to 3.33w instead of 25w? If not you’ll blow your coil like it was a fuse, which it effectively would be. What you COULD do is get a multi (more than 2) amp 4v dc powersupply online. That actually might work really well

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the response. Now that I think about it more, I can mod a spare computer power supply, using a 3.3/or 5v rail, and get more than enough amps (+20 amp). Not gonna connect that to a mechanical mod, will check out regulated mods instead and let it control the amperage. Saw something similar to Analog Box from youtube.
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out :). I considered doing one of those too until someone gave me an industrial ac to dc variable voltage regulator. Thing weighs about 30lb. It’s all brass and copper. I’ve been meaning to polish it up and turn it into a vape hookah

Reactions: CagedSpam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread