Vamo 5, not a good product....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
I bought mine from fasttech. The threads only lasted a few months. It's just sitting now totally shot.

Got mine from FT about a month ago and had the same problem with the threads. Contacted FT last night and they have offered to send me a new one once they receive mine at a processing center in Miami. Even offered to cover my shipping it there (probably in store credit).

Yours is probably under warranty if you got it less than 6 months ago. If longer, it wouldn't hurt to at least ask and see what they say. I've been happy with my Vamo, besides the threading issue. I'll be ordering a 510 adapter for the new one so this won't become an issue again.

BoilerRoom

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I bought a FT Vamo 5 going on 4 months ago. It works fine. I was a little paranoid about the thread issues I have been hearing about, but on initial inspection of the threads they were perfectly okay. I would recommend a drop of juice on the 510 threads before screwing on any attys. This really helps on the stainless steel ones too. I make sure to baby them on or off. Other than it occasionally shutting itself off, which is only now and then and not much more than a minor annoyance, I would give it a thumbs up. I use it also for checking atty resistance and battery voltage. Pretty good deal for under 30 bucks.

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just 2c here, but I have different Vamo 5's and Vamo 3's from different vendors and there's at least 2 separate and unique quality differences. Either these things are all knockoffs or vendors buy and sell seconds or who knows what. I have pretty much settled on getting my Vamo 5's from one vendor and I've decided to no longer purchase mods from places where the same name yields lower quality results. Too bad we never know what we're getting with this overpriced stuff from essentially the same block of chinese companies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Just 2c here, but I have different Vamo 5's and Vamo 3's from different vendors and there's at least 2 separate and unique quality differences. Either these things are all knockoffs or vendors buy and sell seconds or who knows what. I have pretty much settled on getting my Vamo 5's from one vendor and I've decided to no longer purchase mods from places where the same name yields lower quality results. Too bad we never know what we're getting with this overpriced stuff from essentially the same block of chinese companies.

Think of a Vamo as open source software.
Except I think the chips are all the same maker.

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Think of a Vamo as open source software.
Except I think the chips are all the same maker.

That's actually an excellent way of thinking of it. Down side is that with the naming convention it's like a crap shoot....and at fifty bucks it's not quite fun. Good analogy though.

Speaking of over priced stuff it isn't only Chinese vendors selling the same things only much higher then others! What I do here is price shop around quite a bit especially when looking for one or two things in particular. With some vendors I'll not only find a break on the price not counting any % off holiday or other specials but find something for $40 at a few places, another only $35 and then other wanting $60-$70, and then find one wanting $80-$100. That's for the exact same item.

With tanks and certain mods you know right off when seeing them if they are clones while they still manage to pass other stuff as the genuine article. With two usb passthrough capable eGo batteries I found a QC inspection sticker in each box you generally do not find with the rest of the brand's batteries since they are not boxed up. That allows for clones

The two Chinese vendors I found to be good with anything ordered so far besides running across wholesalers would be PriceAngels and Fairy-Gift. For each the items were packaged neatly and no problems as far as defects or knockoffs! If yuo don't mind the 12 day wait those two come up ok while I have also been burned by another site that looked like a US vendor at first but proved to be a scam site! The site was made to look secure as well.

Sardonic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Speaking of over priced stuff it isn't only Chinese vendors selling the same things only much higher then others! What I do here is price shop around quite a bit especially when looking for one or two things in particular. With some vendors I'll not only find a break on the price not counting any % off holiday or other specials but find something for $40 at a few places, another only $35 and then other wanting $60-$70, and then find one wanting $80-$100. That's for the exact same item.

With tanks and certain mods you know right off when seeing them if they are clones while they still manage to pass other stuff as the genuine article. With two usb passthrough capable eGo batteries I found a QC inspection sticker in each box you generally do not find with the rest of the brand's batteries since they are not boxed up. That allows for clones

The two Chinese vendors I found to be good with anything ordered so far besides running across wholesalers would be PriceAngels and Fairy-Gift. For each the items were packaged neatly and no problems as far as defects or knockoffs! If yuo don't mind the 12 day wait those two come up ok while I have also been burned by another site that looked like a US vendor at first but proved to be a scam site! The site was made to look secure as well.

I have decided to stay as local as possible, at least within the state. Seem to have better luck with this, and, if I need to go see someone face to face, I can. I will buy out of state from "reputable" vendors or those that have shown an excellent customer service. Admittedly, I won't buy directly from China even though the cost savings are significant, because I don't have the patience to wait for shipping :) Also, I can never understand what the heck they're trying to say in any communications, but mostly the patience thing.

I have decided to stay as local as possible, at least within the state. Seem to have better luck with this, and, if I need to go see someone face to face, I can. I will buy out of state from "reputable" vendors or those that have shown an excellent customer service. Admittedly, I won't buy directly from China even though the cost savings are significant, because I don't have the patience to wait for shipping :) Also, I can never understand what the heck they're trying to say in any communications, but mostly the patience thing.

I can understand the "whys" for that easy enough. So far however I haven't actually run across more then a few actual companies in China like Smoktech and one other named after the town it's located in apparently. Out of the four vendors that were found not to be US one was made to look US while turning to be a scam site when going to order a starter kit and nothing! no order confirmation, tracking, or kit ever arrived and the claim by the vendor of seeing a refund when withdrawing a complaint never came either. But the year before a US vendor proved to be another scam site when ordering something entirely different.

The convenience of having a vendor close can help especially if and when you get to know the vendor since they can order for you at times as well as be close enough to stop in and browse to look at things in person. But when price shopping around you end up ordering and getting to know something about several vendors from various parts you can point people to at times. So you see that can easily become a two way street when actually helping yourself as you help others to get things since you then find the better places to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread