Vandy Vape Kensei RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Kensei rta by Vandy Vape. The Kensei rta was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ema from sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/vandy-vape-ke...steel.html

In the Box

Contents

1x Kensei RTA / 2ml Straight Glass / 810 Resin drip tip
1x 4ml bubble glass
1x 810 delrin drip tip.
1x Tool for juice fill section
1x Screwdriver
1x Allen Key
1x 510 Adaptor
Spare Grub Screws
Spare O-rings

Aesthetics

The Kensei RTA comes in plastic see through packaging so before even opening you notice the heavy texturing to top and bottom sections, as well as in the case of the one i received a gorgeous blue resin drip tip. I received the silver version but looking at the other colours available they all come with a resin drip tip that goes very well with the colour of the tank (not necessarily matching the tank colour). After opening the packaging and taking a closer look at the Kensei you notice the build quality and machining is first class. The air chamber has Kensei printed on it with bold fancy lettering but apart from that and heavy texturing there is nothing really feature wise that stands out, but there doesn't need to be as you are left impressed by the high quality of the machine work. The top-cap does taper inwards at the top which gives it a slightly different look but that's about it. The Kensei comes with a 2ml straight glass which will need to be changed for the provided 4ml bubble glass, (2ml just not enough capacity, top notch RTA's seem to plough through the liquid and believe me, this is top-notch). Once the bubble glass is fitted the tapered heavy textured top-cap seems more pronounced and i'm beginning to not just like it for it's quality workmanship. The Kensei does come with a spare 810 delrin drip tip with dotted texturing but i hate this style of drip tip as i find it rough on the lips so that won't be used, finally there is a supplied 510 adaptor so you can fit one of your own if you wish.

Specs:

Material: Stainless Steal
Capacity: 2ml / 4ml
Length:38.7mm
Diameter:24mm
Weight:160g
Connection Type: 510
Colour: Matte Black, SS, Gold, Rainbow, Blue.

Disassembling and Assembling the Tank

Separating the tank into its various sections is easy enough, the top-cap unscrews from the top of the tank, then using the provided tool unscrew the juice fill section from the air chamber (which then means the glass is free). Finally just unscrew the deck from the air chamber. To reassemble just choose which glass you want (i recommend using the bubble glass) and reverse the process.

The Build Deck

The build deck has another interesting airflow system with all the air being directed from the bottom upwards through a honeycomb grill. In theory it gives you concentrated jets of air (8 on each side) hitting the entire bottom and lower sides of the coils, then swirling around the upper sides. The deck has raised stair style posts with the higher posts being on the outer side (i prefer it when the outer posts are the higher ones, i just find it easier when it comes to wicking). I used a pair of fused claptons, but you could go to town with this deck and use big chunky coils. Fixing the coils in place is easy enough (always easier with raised posts), you need to manipulate the positioning to get them lined up with the honeycomb grill but it's no great drama. Most people can look at a style of deck and work out how best to wick it, so i don't mean to patronise anybody so the best rule for those unsure is if it's not wicking efficiently you've got too much cotton but if you are having leaking issues you don't have enough (this is not the original Kylin if this is wicked correctly it doesn't leak).

Filling the Tank and Juice Flow control.

If when you are fiddling with the tank and the juice flow control seems a bit dodgy and turns the airflow with it don't worry it works great when the tank is fitted on a device, for that reason i would recommend filling your tank when it's on your mod. Close the juice flow by gripping the glass then turning the tank, allowing you to unscrew the top-cap without flooding the deck due to the lost vacuum. When the top-cap is off fill via one of the two very large juice slots then screw the top-cap back on. Now the vacuum is re-established turn the tank to open the juice flow.

Performance

The best tanks i have used in 2017 are tanks that have all been released in the last few weeks. This period of time has produced my favourite RDA and my top 3 RTA's (all single coil). That top 3 has now become a top 4 (i have tested 1 more RTA and a couple of RDA's i still need to write the reviews for but they don't reach the same dizzy heights, so unless there's a very late comer it's how the year will end). The difference between the Kensei and the other 3 is of course the Kensei is duel coil. I used a pair of fused claptons, with the build coming out at 0.24 and settled for a wattage of 45w and it was a special experience. Yes i got plenty of cloud but it's all about the flavour and the Kensei delivers big time. Along with the excellent flavour, the airflow is so smooth (with the Geekvape Zeus possibly being my favourite single coil RTA), there must be something about having a grill type airflow that is giving superior flavour and making the airflow smooth.

Pros:

Excellent Flavour
Smooth Airflow
Innovative Airflow System
Quality Machining
Raised Stair Style Posts
4ml Capacity
Good Cloud Production
Easy to Build

Cons

Where's all my juice gone! (it ploughs through juice)

Conclusion

In my opinion (remember i haven't tried every RTA) the best duel coil RTA of 2017.

I would once again like to thank Ema from Sourcemore for supplying the Kensei RTA for review.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Great write up. Might have to revisit dual coil for this one. Not sure, I do not have a good track record with jf control tanks. I'm one of those that needs an auto close when opening.:D
Agree a lot better than manual but that a side this is about flavour to me. Doing my own build with duel coil comes out a bit low for what i like but Fasttech do the tubs of varied coils (you have probably seen them with fused claptons, Quads, Tiger coils etc) usually 48 or 64 coils in total at a very good price. Some of the resistances are ideal for duel coil without going too low i used 2 0.48 fused claptons out of one of those tubs.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
the first time i built the kensie, being a newb, that is how i built it. after watching some videos i changed it to the correct way. but i didn't have problems with the other way and it was so much easier to build on... so why wouldn't it be a good idea? it did "work" i don't know if it worked correctly as i'm new to building..

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
1 coil would be cramped up, the other you would have to be spaced out with long legs, there would be a mismatch in resistance and airflow wouldn't be the same to each coil. Yes it would fire but that isn't what i meant by it wouldn't work. But vaping is an individual thing so it's up to you how you fit your coils.

• Agree

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
well i'm new to building.. so i'm up to learning. So was trying to figure out why that wouldn't be an ideal way to place the coils. I did have the coils evenly lined up.. i didn't have to push the coils over to the air flows. but yes.. one coil had obviously longer legs than the other coil. but the coils pulsed at the same rate.

• Useful

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Kensei RTA by Vandy Vape. The Kensei RTA was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ema from Sourcemore.

In the Box

Contents

1x Kensei RTA / 2ml Straight Glass / 810 Resin drip tip
1x 4ml bubble glass
1x 810 delrin drip tip.
1x Tool for juice fill section
1x Screwdriver
1x Allen Key
1x 510 Adaptor
Spare Grub Screws
Spare O-rings

Aesthetics

The Kensei RTA comes in plastic see through packaging so before even opening you notice the heavy texturing to top and bottom sections, as well as in the case of the one i received a gorgeous blue resin drip tip. I received the silver version but looking at the other colours available they all come with a resin drip tip that goes very well with the colour of the tank (not necessarily matching the tank colour). After opening the packaging and taking a closer look at the Kensei you notice the build quality and machining is first class. The air chamber has Kensei printed on it with bold fancy lettering but apart from that and heavy texturing there is nothing really feature wise that stands out, but there doesn't need to be as you are left impressed by the high quality of the machine work. The top-cap does taper inwards at the top which gives it a slightly different look but that's about it. The Kensei comes with a 2ml straight glass which will need to be changed for the provided 4ml bubble glass, (2ml just not enough capacity, top notch RTA's seem to plough through the liquid and believe me, this is top-notch). Once the bubble glass is fitted the tapered heavy textured top-cap seems more pronounced and i'm beginning to not just like it for it's quality workmanship. The Kensei does come with a spare 810 delrin drip tip with dotted texturing but i hate this style of drip tip as i find it rough on the lips so that won't be used, finally there is a supplied 510 adaptor so you can fit one of your own if you wish.

Specs:

Material: Stainless Steal
Capacity: 2ml / 4ml
Length:38.7mm
Diameter:24mm
Weight:160g
Connection Type: 510
Colour: Matte Black, SS, Gold, Rainbow, Blue.

Disassembling and Assembling the Tank

Separating the tank into its various sections is easy enough, the top-cap unscrews from the top of the tank, then using the provided tool unscrew the juice fill section from the air chamber (which then means the glass is free). Finally just unscrew the deck from the air chamber. To reassemble just choose which glass you want (i recommend using the bubble glass) and reverse the process.

The Build Deck

The build deck has another interesting airflow system with all the air being directed from the bottom upwards through a honeycomb grill. In theory it gives you concentrated jets of air (8 on each side) hitting the entire bottom and lower sides of the coils, then swirling around the upper sides. The deck has raised stair style posts with the higher posts being on the outer side (i prefer it when the outer posts are the higher ones, i just find it easier when it comes to wicking). I used a pair of fused claptons, but you could go to town with this deck and use big chunky coils. Fixing the coils in place is easy enough (always easier with raised posts), you need to manipulate the positioning to get them lined up with the honeycomb grill but it's no great drama. Most people can look at a style of deck and work out how best to wick it, so i don't mean to patronise anybody so the best rule for those unsure is if it's not wicking efficiently you've got too much cotton but if you are having leaking issues you don't have enough (this is not the original Kylin if this is wicked correctly it doesn't leak).

Filling the Tank and Juice Flow control.

If when you are fiddling with the tank and the juice flow control seems a bit dodgy and turns the airflow with it don't worry it works great when the tank is fitted on a device, for that reason i would recommend filling your tank when it's on your mod. Close the juice flow by gripping the glass then turning the tank, allowing you to unscrew the top-cap without flooding the deck due to the lost vacuum. When the top-cap is off fill via one of the two very large juice slots then screw the top-cap back on. Now the vacuum is re-established turn the tank to open the juice flow.

Performance

The best tanks i have used in 2017 are tanks that have all been released in the last few weeks. This period of time has produced my favourite RDA and my top 3 RTA's (all single coil). That top 3 has now become a top 4 (i have tested 1 more RTA and a couple of RDA's i still need to write the reviews for but they don't reach the same dizzy heights, so unless there's a very late comer it's how the year will end). The difference between the Kensei and the other 3 is of course the Kensei is duel coil. I used a pair of fused claptons, with the build coming out at 0.24 and settled for a wattage of 45w and it was a special experience. Yes i got plenty of cloud but it's all about the flavour and the Kensei delivers big time. Along with the excellent flavour, the airflow is so smooth (with the Geekvape Zeus possibly being my favourite single coil RTA), there must be something about having a grill type airflow that is giving superior flavour and making the airflow smooth.

Pros:

Excellent Flavour
Smooth Airflow
Innovative Airflow System
Quality Machining
Raised Stair Style Posts
4ml Capacity
Good Cloud Production
Easy to Build

Cons

Where's all my juice gone! (it ploughs through juice)

Conclusion

In my opinion (remember i haven't tried every RTA) the best duel coil RTA of 2017.

I would once again like to thank Ema from Sourcemore for supplying the Kensei RTA for review.

nice review, just one correction: there are actually 12 jets of air flow on each side and not 8 as you mistakenly wrote in your review. just opened mine today and i'm very impressed by it in every way...the only issue i'm having so far is leaking, but it's just my first build, so i hope to get more in tune with the device after a few more wicking attempts, in which cases i've got my fingers crossed that the leaking issues will vanish faster than a cloud of vapor in a convertible on the freeway (lol).

Lastly, was just wondering if you had gotten to try the bravo rta by wotofo. I also just picked up one of those and g-d damn is that a well thought out and well executed device!! Its a breeze to wick, nailed it on the first try, running a .17 ohm build at 95 watts and its keeping up with ease, (in fact, i feel like it could easily handle even more rowdiness) and it hasn't even considering the existential possibility of leaking. The Build qualityIs on point with the best devices on the market as is the performance. Even the flavor is up there at the higher end of the spectrum, in the company of the leading flavor rta's Currently being released. In fact it's just A fraction Of a degree Below the kensei rta in that regard, which i find to be quite impressive, since it's definitely more airflow/cloud chucking oriented than the latter. It wicks perfectly, Even without any Juice flow control system to speak of; Keeping up with even impressively high-wattage/low-resistance vaping. Surprisingly it fairs Significantly betterIn this regard than the kensei rta, despite the kensei ironically having a jfc. I think this may be because the kensei has such incredibly massive wicking channels or more accurately slots.

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
nice review, just one correction: there are actually 12 jets of air flow on each side and not 8 as you mistakenly wrote in your review. just opened mine today and i'm very impressed by it in every way...the only issue i'm having so far is leaking, but it's just my first build, so i hope to get more in tune with the device after a few more wicking attempts, in which cases i've got my fingers crossed that the leaking issues will vanish faster than a cloud of vapor in a convertible on the freeway (lol).

Lastly, was just wondering if you had gotten to try the bravo rta by wotofo. I also just picked up one of those and g-d damn is that a well thought out and well executed device!! Its a breeze to wick, nailed it on the first try, running a .17 ohm build at 95 watts and its keeping up with ease, (in fact, i feel like it could easily handle even more rowdiness) and it hasn't even considering the existential possibility of leaking. The Build qualityIs on point with the best devices on the market as is the performance. Even the flavor is up there at the higher end of the spectrum, in the company of the leading flavor rta's Currently being released. In fact it's just A fraction Of a degree Below the kensei rta in that regard, which i find to be quite impressive, since it's definitely more airflow/cloud chucking oriented than the latter. It wicks perfectly, Even without any Juice flow control system to speak of; Keeping up with even impressively high-wattage/low-resistance vaping. Surprisingly it fairs Significantly betterIn this regard than the kensei rta, despite the kensei ironically having a jfc. I think this may be because the kensei has such incredibly massive wicking channels or more accurately slots.
Hi mate i haven't tried the bravo and yes 12 each side i made a mistake i realised a couple of days later, no idea why i said 8 and after 24 hrs it doesn't allow edits for some reason.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi mate i haven't tried the bravo and yes 12 each side i made a mistake i realised a couple of days later, no idea why i said 8 and after 24 hrs it doesn't allow edits for some reason.
2 other RTA's i would recommend are the Geekvape Zeus and the Crius 2

• Agree

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida

my experience with wicking... don't try rayon... it just leaks with rayon.
And i had some seapage i guess right above the air flow adjustment... just leave the cotton tails a bit longer and really pack the cotton in the juice well tight. I use 3mm coils. Close the juice flow control when sitting over night, or if it's warm out.

once i did that, no more leaks.

I'm a kensei fan. Not even interested in another RTA.
I also use the drop.. thought about the Bonza, but if it aint broke, don't fix it they say.
I would love to find a comparison of the bonza and the drop specifically though!

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
my experience with wicking... don't try rayon... it just leaks with rayon.
And i had some seapage i guess right above the air flow adjustment... just leave the cotton tails a bit longer and really pack the cotton in the juice well tight. I use 3mm coils. Close the juice flow control when sitting over night, or if it's warm out.

once i did that, no more leaks.

I'm a kensei fan. Not even interested in another RTA.
I also use the drop.. thought about the Bonza, but if it aint broke, don't fix it they say.
I would love to find a comparison of the bonza and the drop specifically though!
I tend to be quite generous with cotton and with the kensei don't get leaking. During use with the constant heating and cooling from time to time you will get condensation and a bit of liquid come out the airflow but not what i would class as leaking, i haven't used a bottom airflow tank yet where that doesn't happen. To me if you can leave a full tank of liquid overnight and none has escaped and the device is totally dry the tank doesn't leak and that's what i get with the Kensei. If closing the juice flow works for you that's great but i don't do that and my mod is always bone dry when i use the Kensei. I must admit because of constant testing of tanks and being in love with the Zeus i don't use it much but when i have used it not a problem

• Useful

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
I'm in the south, it's humid and hot.. everything leaks! cold nights, hot days. the juice shut off is a bonus for me with the kensei!

and ya know.. i assume every one fluffs or teases the cotton tails.. but i am not sure every one does that.
Yeah i'm in the UK so we always moan about the weather because we are an Island we get more than our fair share of rain but temperature wise it's quite a moderate climate. We find 25 Celsius an extremely hot day and if we see a snowflake the country grinds to a halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread