vanilla bean ice cream question

Status
Not open for further replies.

napdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2011
Kansas City, Mo
I see recipes using vanilla bean ice cream flavor. I see on the FA web site under the description, This flavor contains one "Custard" ingredient (Acetyl Propionyl). Does not contain Acetoin. However, it does contain Acetyl Propionyl, and so this flavor does have inhalation risks, So is it, or is it not ok?

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Depends who you ask. I actually just ordered that flavor yesterday, specifically because it has those custard-note ingredients. They taste sooooo good; there is no substitute.

The issue is this: everyone knows that the Dreaded D & related molecules are harmful to inhale... in principle. The question is, how much must one inhale to incur negative effects? How much is in a flavoring concentrate, and in a mixed bottle of niquid? Will simple inhalation of any amount of this stuff cause harm, or must one inhale outrageous quantities to bring said harm?

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere [citation needed], I have tentatively concluded that this is just like the old aspartame scare, where we have a compound that is technically harmful but that the necessary quantities needed to actually hurt anything are so high that no person (who doesn't spend 8 hours a day in a popcorn factory) will ever be in real danger of harm.

Personally, I am angry about the whole thing because I cannot easily find flavorings with said custard notes, and those are exactly what I want to buy. This vanilla bean ice cream, waffle, and ONE cream flavor were all I could readily find. It's cool and respectable that people don't want to take a chance and use these compounds, but don't spoil the fun for everybody else; too much vendor harassment! After all, nobody ever tried to take sweet & low off the market, and that stuff hasn't killed me yet.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
Depends who you ask. I actually just ordered that flavor yesterday, specifically because it has those custard-note ingredients. They taste sooooo good; there is no substitute.

The issue is this: everyone knows that the Dreaded D & related molecules are harmful to inhale... in principle. The question is, how much must one inhale to incur negative effects? How much is in a flavoring concentrate, and in a mixed bottle of niquid? Will simple inhalation of any amount of this stuff cause harm, or must one inhale outrageous quantities to bring said harm?

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere [citation needed], I have tentatively concluded that this is just like the old aspartame scare, where we have a compound that is technically harmful but that the necessary quantities needed to actually hurt anything are so high that no person (who doesn't spend 8 hours a day in a popcorn factory) will ever be in real danger of harm.

Personally, I am angry about the whole thing because I cannot easily find flavorings with said custard notes, and those are exactly what I want to buy. This vanilla bean ice cream, waffle, and ONE cream flavor were all I could readily find. It's cool and respectable that people don't want to take a chance and use these compounds, but don't spoil the fun for everybody else; too much vendor harassment! After all, nobody ever tried to take sweet & low off the market, and that stuff hasn't killed me yet.

You're far to young to remember the awful saccharine war in the 50's and 60's. There were the most god-awful artificial sweeteners back them

twistedtimes

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2012
Santa Fe

I just tried the Bavarian Cream and it is GREAT, has the custard taste without it being present. Just thought I would share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread