Vanilla bean ice cream (TFA) question (acetyl propionyl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propertea

Mar 24, 2013
LBC
Ok so I love this flavor, but now knowing that this flavor contains one "Custard" ingredient (Acetyl Propionyl), and knowing that there is a possible inhalation risk discussion behind this ingredient, is there an alternative to this flavor? Now by reading a lot of posts, the forum is basically split in half saying that its to small to cause an risk, and the other half saying even a small trace can go a long way. Since I'm making juices for family and friends, I don't want them to be worried, with that being said, i tried Bavarian cream but its not the same and Vanilla from TFA as well and it doesn't taste like how I want it.. I still vape my delicious mix but want to share it with everyone. SO what is the best alternative to this?

Thanks EFC!

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
There are other companies who make vanilla ice cream flavoring, though I have not tried any aside from TFA.

You could try to mix a replacement - sweet cream & vanilla cupcake perhaps. VBIC seems to have a slight nutty element - maybe a couple drops of toasted almond would simulate that.

For the record, the acetoin component in this flavoring is not itself dangerous; the danger is that the acetoin can create trace amounts of diacetyl (the dangerous custard chemical) during the manufacturing process. The debate over danger of trace diacetyl rages on, but with this acetoin it is a trace of the trace, which may or may not occur at a given time. I know TFA is quite anti-diacetyl, but they feel comfortable selling this flavor, so there ya go. Not tryna change your mind, but other readers may be interested in these nuances.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
My main goto all day vape is TFA French Vanilla at 20%. Maybe to strong a % for most but thats what I like, a strong flavor taste. Plus I don't like the throat burn and this vanilla dosen't do that to me.

I actually order all my flavoring from Wizard Lab cause I get my Nic, PG, and Vg there. Most of WL's flavors are either LA or TFA.
I wanted to try more of their Vanilla brands. I checked them all out and I seen that the TFA site had warning on Vanilla Custard and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Saying that they both contained acetyl propionyl and should not be inhaled, so I decided not to order them.

I vape about 1cart or 1ml per day so no idea if that little amount of acetyl propionyl would hurt or bother me. But until more research is done I am staying away from that, diacetyl, and Acetoin if at all possible.

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are other companies who make vanilla ice cream flavoring, though I have not tried any aside from TFA.

It is more than likely that the other brands contain Acetyl Propionyl, acetoin, or both. TFA is just the only one who will talk about it. Anything with 'custard notes' will have at least one of those molecules. I have not done a lot of research, but it seems that Acetyl Propionyl (VBIV) is safer than acetoin (or the combo of both).

A little VBIC goes a long way. And, no, unfortunately there is no mix of other ingredients that can bring that magic 'custard note' to the party...

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I just mixed up a 30ml of Vanilla bean Ice Cream and Coconut, I hope It doesn't Harm me in any way.

Don't have any coconut, but that sound good to mix with. I'm gona have to get some to mix with my F.Vanilla and see how it is. Blueberry Candy(TFA) is another favorite of mine by its self(20%), it may be good with a little of coconut too.

I have some Vanilla Bourbon(TFA) and Vanilla Butternut (LA), don't like either of them by them selves or mixed together with F.V.. Anyone used either of them?

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Don't have any coconut, but that sound good to mix with. I'm gona have to get some to mix with my F.Vanilla and see how it is. Blueberry Candy(TFA) is another favorite of mine by its self(20%), it may be good with a little of coconut too.

I have some Vanilla Bourbon(TFA) and Vanilla Butternut (LA), don't like either of them by them selves or mixed together with F.V.. Anyone used either of them?

Mixing Vanilla swirl or vanilla bean ice cream with coconut is such a good mix.Coconut candy is my favorite as it is sweeter,I currently have Coconut Extra and I mix it at a lower percentage as too much it can be bitter.

Last edited:

mullet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
Memphis(Collierville), TN
Mixing Vanilla swirl or vanilla bean ice cream with coconut is such a good mix.Coconut candy is my favorite as it is sweeter,I currently have Coconut Extra and I mix it at a lower percentage as too much it can be bitter.

Not to derail the thread completely but would you mind sharing your percentages for mixing VBIC and coconut?

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Not to derail the thread completely but would you mind sharing your percentages for mixing VBIC and coconut?

Well it does depend on the coconut from TPA,Currently I'm using Coconut Extra and It is stronger so I use 6% Coconut Extra and 10% Vanilla Swirl or Vanilla Bean Ice cream and 1% Ez sweetz.If you are using Coconut Candy or Coconut use about 8-10%.To me it is a recipe me and a friend use a lot and its a winner.Another great recipe is 10%Vanilla bean ice cream, 5-7% Root beer and 3% of mint candy.Mint candy has the best smell of all TPA flavors and is a great additive and is strong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread