Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
Diacetyl has come up in many a Topic as well as questions to us.

After doing research and testing we have found that just because Diacetyl was not an ingredient in the flavor recipe, it may still be present.

Research – We purchased a bottle of Vanilla Custard from Cappellas and had it shipped directly to a flavor analysis company. We requested testing for three ingredients, Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl and Acetoin.

The response we received is as follows.
“Good evening, Kimberly. Your check arrived today and thank you. Diacetyl, 2,3-Pentanedione, and Acetoin are all present in the Vanilla Custard sample that you sent. Just a very small amount of diacetyl, however. Let me know if you need anything else. “

In attempting to get some sort of report we could share with the public, we learned quite a bit. The Diacetyl is a trace amount and it is most probably there due to Acetoins ability to catalyze or change to Diacetyl. Acetoin is supposed to stabilize once mixed with other molecules, in its pure form it has the abilility to break down to Diacetyl.

Wanting next to know what prompts the Acetoin to Catalyze into Diacetyl we found a few articles.

From
Abstract - Inactivation of the gene for lactate dehydrogenase caused a significant change to metabolic flux with the elimination of lactic acid as a metabolic end product and production of ethanol, formate and acetoin. Acetoin production by Idh detective L lactis growing on sugar was comparable with that by a diacetylactis biovar growing on both sugar and citrate. The overexpression of biosynthetic α-acetolactate synthetase encoded by ilvBN genes also led to increased acetoin production in L lactis. The inactivation of the aldB gene encoding α-acetolactate decarboxylase increased the production of α-acetolactate and diacetyl at the expense of acetoin.

From
Abstract
Acetate and acetaldehyde can be detected as products of the oxidative dissimilation of acetoin in Bacillus subttilis extracts. They arise as the result of the direct cleavage of acetoin without a previous oxidation to diacetyl. This can be deduced from the following observations: (a) no diacetyl was detected in acetoin dissimilation experiments in vitro and (b) methylacetoin, an acetoin analogue which can not be oxidized to the diketone, also undergoes oxidative splitting, yielding acetone and acetate.

We have been told, that sunlight can affect degradation from Acetoin to Diacetyl, it also appears that oxidation may also play a role.

Linda at Perfumers Apprentice recently had her Vanilla Custard tested, at the time of testing the Vanilla Custard did not have Diacetyl. At the time of testing, is the key there. She believes it could potentially, catalyze and diacetyl could be produced in minute trace amounts. She has an article on her site, with more information on Acetoin and Diacetyl.

Minute trace amounts, what amount is safe? We have no idea! We will be adding product descriptions to our site on the flavors that contain Acetoin, so that you the consumer can make your own choice.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
Well, thanks, I guess!!!:laugh: I like using VC and will continue to do so unless otherwise told.:)

This whole diacetyl thing........I inhaled burnt gunpowder for 29 years smoking,who knows how many airborne petrochemicals, worked in chemical plants and steel shops -- is there any links to an actual AMA study to inhaling trace amounts of warmed diacetyl? The stuff we eat and drink if far more toxic..........sorry, ranting, I'm so tired of people trying to frighten me!!!!:lol:

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
Ack.. I loved their Vanilla Custard but I can do without after I finish what I have. I think since it's such a trace amount just due to aging it isn't that bad, but imo in regards for me....Why take the chance ya know when I can simply swap to something else without it.

This testing is what should be done and props to Kimer for doing it for us. I think people would just like to know so they can make a informed decision instead of playing a guessing game.

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
This is an information post only, to help consumers make their own choices Ripple :) We dont want to scare anyone, but knowledge is power and you cannot make a choice without knowing what your options are.

As far as a Study on trace amounts, this article. shows the lack of information.
In the years from 1992 until 2000, eight former employees of a microwave popcorn packing factory in Jasper, Missouri, ended up with the rare lung disease “bronchiolitis obliterans” commonly called “popcorn packet’s lung.” By 2005, some of these workers were on lung transplant waiting lists.

But, by 2006, the FDA was saying the exact opposite, that there was nothing to worry about. In a direct quote from the FDA it says, “The FDA currently classifies diacetyl as “generally recognized as safe” as long as you’re just eating it, based on studies that were done in the late 1950s and early 1980s. The FDA did not look into whether there were adverse health effects from inhaling diacetyl while the food’s cooking. And… has no intention of looking any further at the issue.”

Worker Safety The United States National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has suggested that diacetyl, when used in artificial butter flavoring (as used in many consumer foods), may be hazardous when heated and inhaled over a long period.

Its up to you, to take from it what you wish, use the information to make your own personal choices. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread