vanilla extract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
OUCH! I wasn't in the least inclined to follow up on this, but yes, I'll respond to that.

I just copied and pasted a quote from somewhere on here and from someone. I didn't even know who made that post. I've seen two or three similar references and so it seems that hearsay and rumor can tend to proliferate so that people accept them until someone comes along and says. OK here's an honest mistake that somebody made and this is how it was so easy for someone to make an honest mistake. Also here is the correct information for the people who want to know. I hardly see why anyone should take such a simple effort to clarify information on a topic and turn it all into some huge personal insult and diss the person trying to correct some misperceptions. So if anyone feels that my statements were worded tactlessly then please accept my humble apologies.

In the meantime it would be nice if Sun even acknowledged the information I have provided about the vanillin crystals and if anyone after having read the information in that post can provide any valid reason why "vanillin isn't good" then I for one would like to know that information and the source of it.

jcoppers

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
U.S.A., California
Not sure what I used but here goes. It is Wilton clear vanilla extract, purchased from Michaels in the baking aisle. The ingredients are as follows:
Water, Alcohol, artificial flavors. Not sure if this stuff is gonna kill me (CANT be as bad as analogs) but I used PG, 36 MG tobacco flavor and two drops of VEGETABLE Glycerin with the following results:
A huge amount of vapor.
Excellent throat hit.
Everywhere I vaped smelled of vanilla.
Excellent flavor of vanilla.

Again, not sure if my lips are gonna fall off, but this stuff seems to work pretty well. Just a newbies 2 cents.

John

jcoppers

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
U.S.A., California
Well again, I don't know about vanillin. I know analogs have all kinds of nasty chemicals in them, and this stuff is used for baking. In theory heat should not cause too many issues. All I know is the flavor is without a doubt the vanilla-ee-est I have tasted. I steam clean my attys weekly so whatever is in this stuff CANT be that bad. Cleaned the atty today and the crud that came off the one I tested with looked no different than the others.

analog2digital

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Jackson, MI
I tend to agree with you JCOPPERS. I really like the vanilla extract, and it is used in baking/foods. It kinda goes along the same lines as the PG and e-liquids being vaporized and inhaled, thus, FDA wanting to regulate/ban this. All the ingredients are deemed (well, except for the nic) safe for human consumption.

I too have not had any problems with my atomizers, but then, I am a noob at this as well.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Sun, the document you pointed to does indeed provide information that advises caution. From reading it, one might get the impression that it was referring to something other than a commonly used flavoring ingredient, a toxic poison.

But before everyone gets it in their head from this that vanillin is a deadly poison while vanilla is good for you, then here's the msds on vanilla extract:

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Vanilla_Extract_Pure-9925408

Pick your poison.

Based on reading I had done, I was already aware that vanilla can be quite toxic in large quantities. Now, having read both of these documents I see little difference between the health dangers of the two. Vanillin is a natural component of vanilla. In the quantities we would use I don't believe either one presents a significant hazard.

But with a further humble apology to everyone for my own ignorance, I believe that it is correct to say that vanilla, vanillin and ethyl vanillin ALL contain benzaldehydes.

Last edited:

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
jcopper, could you advise how much vanilla you used in your mix? i've tried and have this Wilton clear vanilla, and i couldn't find the vanilla taste with it. plus it's very thin, so it may take some tweaking to keep the mix at a good viscosity for vaping. again i just tried it once, few drops in a 1ml mix, so i'm no expert :)

i would say though, i know many people use alcohol to thin instead of diluted water, and this vanilla could be a good thinner since it has a tad bit of flavor and the alcohol, but...still, there's the "vanillin" argument :)

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Now, here is the MSDS on ethyl vanillin which, along with other vanilla extractives, is known to be used by commercial manufacturers of e-liquid.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Ethyl_vanillin-9924002

So, it appears that if you want that delicious vanilla flavor you also must accept that all forms of this flavor ingredient present similar hazards.

Bearing in mind that they are still used for this purpose, I for one am willing to overlook these cautionary tales based on the knowledge that they are used in relatively small quantities and appear to be universally accepted in the amounts used as acceptable for the purposes they are employed.

pagn8or

Mar 26, 2009
Florida Keys
jcopper, could you advise how much vanilla you used in your mix? i've tried and have this Wilton clear vanilla, and i couldn't find the vanilla taste with it. plus it's very thin, so it may take some tweaking to keep the mix at a good viscosity for vaping. again i just tried it once, few drops in a 1ml mix, so i'm no expert :)

i would say though, i know many people use alcohol to thin instead of diluted water, and this vanilla could be a good thinner since it has a tad bit of flavor and the alcohol, but...still, there's the "vanillin" argument :)

I'm using the same stuff and mixing it in with a cola juice. Typically, my recipe is in drops, so:

10 drops 24mg CaSh cola
10 drops glycerine
3ish drops vanilla extract.

I get a nice 11-12mg vanilla cola. Great taste, throat hit and vapor.

The ish is because the thin extract is smaller drops (I just poked a small hole in the foil seal) so it's a little more difficult to get exact. I may add another drop of vanilla after testing it with a drop of the mix straight to my atomizer.

jcoppers

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
U.S.A., California

Sorry for the delay
10 drops vanilla/vanillin (don't know or care, I like it) :)
5 drops vegetable glycerin (for added vapor)
60 drops P.G.
25 drops of 36 mg tobacco flavored juice (Tobacco has very little actual flavor, so I use it if It's all I have)
This results in a 5ml batch of approximate 9% strength juice.

Smelled like a vanilla candle and tasted like a treat.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
hmm, sweet. maybe i just didn't add enough drops. i may toy with it some more this weekend and see if i can get a good flavor from it.

Flitz--long time no hear my friend--how have you been. So you came to solve the Vanilla issue? So what is the word? How is the Vanillin because I am going to give it a go--what did you think? Thanks---Sun

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Flitz--long time no hear my friend--how have you been. So you came to solve the Vanilla issue? So what is the word? How is the Vanillin because I am going to give it a go--what did you think? Thanks---Sun

Boy--hope we did not lose Flitz to that Vanillin--humm--going to have to heed to the warnings after all---LOL---Sun

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
haha! i still haven't mixed it up yet! i'm actually amazed at how long my fluids are lasting. when i first got my order from Yang, i cut some 36mg to about 11mg give or take, so, say, 20-25% nic fluid and the rest just vg a few drops of lorann apple and strawberry kiwi. i only made 3ml and i've been using it for weeks, and i swear i feel like i'm vaping all the time. i just haven't needed to make anything new!

but when i first got it, like i was saying, i made a small batch and mixed a few drops in but didn't notice any vanilla at all, so i need to try a higher amount.

btw Sun, i'm doing well, i think i'm happy with the 901 vs the 401 for a while. i've still got 2 brand new 401 atomizers, so maybe i'll hold on to them as a spare :) i've been using the same 901 atomizer for a month now with no probs. oh, and i have like...130ml of unflavored 36mg nic fluid from Yang just in case :)

Lesliea

Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Okay, here's my thoughts on the subject. Get yourself a vanilla bean, snip off the tiniest, tiniest chunk, pop it in a small sample of your juice and let sit in the fridge for a while. I'm not saying this will work and I am not a big fan of vanilla, but it is just suggestion for someone who wants to try it. instead of messing with extracts and vanilla v. vanillin, go to the source.

For anyone who is really interested in vanilla extract for baking, the best I have ever had was bought in the Dominican Republic....in a litre size bottle for practically nothing. No comparison to anything I have ever bought in North America. The flavour is sublime, and I don't even really like vanilla.

desync0

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Bulkbarn should have dried vanilla bean near the check out in a long clear tube, it was next to the lorann's display in my store.

Also tried the wilton glycerin, with the loretta "artificial clear vanilla" and it works out pretty good, just dropped 4 or 5 drops of the glycerin, a drop or so of the vanilla and a few more drops or glycerin right in to a empty ruyan jazz disposable and it works great.
Probably coulda used another drop of vanilla, or acutally mixed properly, but i was just trying it out.

The wiltons makes a great vape cloud, even with a full inhale there's still vapor on exhale. Doesn't hurt that the loretta vanilla has PG for it's 2nd ingredient.

My 901 needs to get here so I can experiment with a fresh clean cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread