vanilla extract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limoncello

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
oHIo
PURE VANILLIN CRYSTALS

If anyone considers trying the vanillin crystals let me know. If it's in the pure crystal form it seems to me that you can't get any stronger vanilla taste than that. The smell is intoxicating. It occurs to me that if you need to mix a vanilla absolute with alcohol as a carrier as has been suggested with the tobacco absolute that might be defeating the purpose, so maybe a vanilla absolute is not the way to go and perhaps better is a 2x or 4x extract of vanilla.
I used this for vanilla flavoring:
Dissolved 2 envelopes in some warm water (used a 4 dram glass bottle) that is filled up about 3/4ths full. Sorry, didn't measure. Then added some everclear so it would stay dissolved. It smells heavenly and tastes so nice.

I also added some lemon rinds to everclear and then added that to a 2 dram bottle for a nice lemon flavor with vanilla--I think the vanilla intensifies the lemon flavor and also makes it a little 'smoother'
Here is the link:
Browsing Store - BERTOLINI VANILLA POWDER .5G
Pricey, but I haven't used a better vanilla than this--I use these to make our homemade limoncello cream liqueur.
Rita

RickB

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Salem,NH
i was just reading the "extract tobacco flavoring" thread and has anyone tried doing the same thing with PG/VG and vanilla beans? just shoving them in a bottle.. covering with a PG/VG solution and letting it sit? if it works for tobacco flavorings.. why not with other herbs/flavorings?

Funny I was just going to ask the same thing. I guess I'll be putting in
my order of Vanilla beans right now then. Have some PG already on the way.

I'll post an update when the beans come in and soak for a bit.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Kim--I have tryed from the cheapest to the best money can but (burbon bean vanilla extract---all to no avail as there either is very little vanilla taste or there is way to strong an alcohol taste that takes away from any flavor (36%)--Yicks!! So the quest goes on!!! If you have any ideas, let us know!!! I would love to know what the manufacutes are using!!! Thanks, Sun

What about vanilla powders, instead?
    "unique flavor powders are alcohol-free alternatives to extracts that can be substituted one-for-one in place of extracts without adding any extra liquid to the recipe.
    Our goal is to produce the truest flavors possible. The flavors marked with a green leaf below are all natural. We also use top-quality artificial flavors when natural ingredients do not have sufficient flavor strength or do not maintain true flavor over time."
    faeriesfinest.com/powders.html
    ?

Faethe

ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    i was just reading the "extract tobacco flavoring" thread and has anyone tried doing the same thing with PG/VG and vanilla beans? just shoving them in a bottle.. covering with a PG/VG solution and letting it sit? if it works for tobacco flavorings.. why not with other herbs/flavorings?

How To Prepare Glycerine Tincture

I'm trying this with snus. I need the stuff to get here so I can mess with it, though. I bought a crucible from this guy on ebay who sells lab equipment. It's a little 50ml pot you can stick in the oven. He also sells glassware beakers and stuff you can use on a stove top. The thing is if you go over a certain temperature with the glycerine it can turn into something manky and nasty. The thresh hold is discussed in another thread. It's one of the issues with VG. It like over 400f. So just don't boil the hell out of your bean and it should be all good.

The thing is that this method takes twenty days. That's what I got the beakers for - to store the solution until it's ripe.

I'll make a video of this mess when I am done :p

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2009
    Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
    I've been reading the posts by SunVapor and others here about the difficulty in creating a DIY vanilla e-juice. I don't think I saw anyone mention trying pure vanilla extract (the stuff you find in the baking section of a grocery store). I'm sure there must be a reason nobody uses this stuff. I'm just wondering why not.

Kim

Guys;

I used extract for a while and found it nice. I had it mixed with Ruyan juice and VG. All of a sudden I clogged 2 atomizers in a row after a few days use. Coils were still heating, but the attys were clogged with a funky cotton like substance. (Didn't come from the cart)

At this moment I'm not sure if the cause is the Ruyan juice, or the extract.

My Johnson Creek is going great with 50% VG & no extract.

Just an FYI if you use any extracts.

RickB

ECF Veteran
    May 6, 2009
    Salem,NH
    OK so I still have two Tahitian beans soaking in 60ml of PG for about 2 months now. Just vaped some in my 510. MMMMMM Now that's vanilla. Going to have to try to soak some in some Vodka to see if the extraction will go a little quicker but I have to say I am finally getting some really nice vanilla flavor. Have to try to mix it with some 12 mg Nic juice and see if anything changes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread