Vap-o-wire 32awg kanthal wire with bad mettalic taste for awhile..... any suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etownguy

Aug 22, 2013
Kentucky
okay I ordered a spool of this wire from a vendor on this site and no matter what I try it has a terrible metallic taste for awhile, but after that it works great I am wrapping using 2mm ekowool for a couple of protanks and t3s's. thus far I have done 4 different ones.

#1 - bic lighter to the wire till it glowed, enough to "sterilize" it

#2 - bic lighter to the wire then again the to wrapped coil and ekowool

#3 - used a butane torch to the wire till it got hot enough to start bending

#4 - same wire wrapped on a standard silica wick I had used before and know works good.

these were all different donor atomizer bodies and this is not my first rebuild jsu the first with these supplies. I found that if you suffer through the terrible taste with no inhales for about half a tank (+- 1ml) of juice it clears up and tastes great. The best my protank has done is with one of those and it would up being a 9 wrap semi micro coil and I have cooked it at 10-11 watts all day for two weeks with no burn at all.

I can't blame the juice as I know it is wicking well even with the taste it is chugging out the clouds. and it does it with any flavor I have tried.

even leaving the tube off the atomizer and dripping juice dirctly onto it produces a vapor that will singe your nose.

so what gives? I have searched for an issue similar to this and came up with nothing. gikven everything I have read and seen I am not missing any steps here. is this just defective wire?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've never heard of this before. You have done all I would have thought might fix the taste issue.

There have been 35 views of your post including mine and I guess no-one else has seen this before either. Suggest you email or post to the vendor and ask them if you have not done so yet. They are the experts in what they sell and will also know if anyone else has noticed this.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Hey @ etownguy - I've had an issue with a lot of atomizers and clearomizers, even pretty much all of them, giving me what I'd best describe as like a sulfuric taste, but that while sulfur is a bit more like rotten eggs, while this taste is a bit more like a very combusted blend of cotton and polyester, or something like that. It's a very hard thing to describe, but unless I pretty much flood whatever atty I'm using, and really cool it down with some VG liquid, it seems to really come through strong and hit my tongue like a punch.

Every now and then, it's sort of correlated with a really acidic, burning vapor that really burns the nose and tears up the throat, but that has been far from always being the case. I do a lot of manipulations to my devices that I think make them wick very well, so my coils are usually pretty soaked, but at best, the flavor won't go away. There will be an absolute ton of moist vapor, but the flavor will strongly persist. It's a very direct flavor and one that would turn any vaper off - many vaper's say that the "vaped sock" type taste is a dry coil, but I think they're confusing my description of "sock" with the the dry hit of silica+kanthal.

The flavor I'm getting from my atties is a bit different than that description of a dry coil, though, and in my ignorance, I thought for the longest time the two flavors or factors may be related, as it seems other users believe, the popular assumption that my coils maybe just were a little dry. But with research and truly sitting down and trying to discern the flavors, vapor production, and wicking ability, I don't think that's the case.

I think what I may be tasting instead is more due to the Kanthal. I tried Cisco's dripping atomizers, which, unless the representative was mistaken, they said these atomizers are wrapped with NiChrome - the atomizer I tried, the $13 one they make (I believe this particular model is the one they get China to assemble for them, while the $30 one is the one they make in-shop... same materials though, I believe), and this atomizer, myself trying the 3.5ohm version, delivered the strongest, most crystal clean, juiciest flavor I've ever experienced in vaping, though I used to get results sort of like this back in the day when other companies may (stress, may) have used NiChrome in their own builds too.

Then again, for me, it may not be down to Kanthal or NiChrome, but down to hotspots and things too. It could be more that Cisco simply had a coil that was very even and very well wrapped - they use a drill-bit method even for their "simple" coils (though I think the 3.5ohm atty's coil ends up looking more like a microcoil because they have to use so much wire - it may be why it produced so much vapor for me even with only 4.1V's!). I've definately found that in perfect builds, that Kanthal doesn't effect me at all in terms of flavor, though it seems to have the ability to "block" my taste buds from tasting much anything even in the best of builds.

To date, Cisco was the only brand that gave me the vape that keeps me vaping. It was a miraculous build that allowed all my juices to come through in flavor like heaven reaching the tongue, and whatever secret that this atomizer had, I'm constantly trying to figure it out so that I can both replicate this experience, and, with how much money I've wasted on atomizers and devices that don't give me proper flavor, that discovering the secret to this may even help vapers across the forum unlock a new aspect to their builds as well!

If you find anything that works for you, or if you or anyone else has some like experiences to share that may solve this issue, please let us know!

Last edited:

cthulhufan

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
Saint Louis, MO, USA
I have and use this very brand and gauge of Kanthal A1 wire and do not experience this with mine (most probably from the exact same vendor). I torch then coil. Then I measure Ohms, position, do safety checks etc. Then I pulse 5-6 times and then wick and juice it up. Perhaps you got a bad run? Certainly hope this doesn't turn out to be normal for this product. I have a 100' spool of Kanthal A1 coming from another vendor, I will pay attention to see if I note any difference in the flavor...

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Most mass produced e-cig gear uses nichrome, not kanthal due to cost.

What's strange, is that Cisco, in a rare old interview, claimed to be using a "secret wire" that they kept hidden from Chinese companies, a wire that they said made flavors taste clean and truly shine. Looking back, if most products were made with NiChrome, then I'd have believed Cisco was talking about Kanthal being their secret wire, but they just told me last night that they used NiChrome (then again, it could be a rare version of NiChrome/Kanthal, not an entirely different wire itself).

I just have studied the flavors I've gotten, with so much extensive testing and research/testing on certain physics and chemistry theories with these atomizers (and always proving many of the theories correct), that I seem to have finally pointed this taste issue to whatever wire these devices are using. I have not pinpointed wether this is due to wire, or due to the way a coil may be wrapped or pre-torched or what (which all can have all sorts of effects). With my extensive testing, far more complex testing and scientific methods than anyone on this forum could properly explain, I have finally gotten it out of my head that silica itself actually has a "taste".

For instance, I accidentally dry burned one of my heads once while testing a device's airflow (with no juice inside) and I got an overwhelming version of the "sulphur" type taste I usually get, and while I originally thought it was silica that tasted like this, I seemed to have recently proven that silica does not cause this, or only is a small factor, so my next best guess is the wiring used - and I taste it in everything quite severely except what Cisco offered me.

For instance, does anyone wonder why if you dry burn silica on a coil, that it'll have a bad taste, and a permenant bad taste at that, yet that it will not actually combust upon torching? I believe it's because chemicals on the wire being sorched onto the silica.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
What's strange, is that Cisco, in a rare old interview, claimed to be using a "secret wire" that they kept hidden from Chinese companies, a wire that they said made flavors taste clean and truly shine. Looking back, if most products were made with NiChrome, then I'd have believed Cisco was talking about Kanthal being their secret wire, but they just told me last night that they used NiChrome (then again, it could be a rare version of NiChrome/Kanthal, not an entirely different wire itself).

I just have studied the flavors I've gotten, with so much extensive testing and research/testing on certain physics and chemistry theories with these atomizers (and always proving many of the theories correct), that I seem to have finally pointed this taste issue to whatever wire these devices are using. I have not pinpointed wether this is due to wire, or due to the way a coil may be wrapped or pre-torched or what (which all can have all sorts of effects). With my extensive testing, far more complex testing and scientific methods than anyone on this forum could properly explain, I have finally gotten it out of my head that silica itself actually has a "taste".

For instance, I accidentally dry burned one of my heads once while testing a device's airflow (with no juice inside) and I got an overwhelming version of the "sulphur" type taste I usually get, and while I originally thought it was silica that tasted like this, I seemed to have recently proven that silica does not cause this, or only is a small factor, so my next best guess is the wiring used - and I taste it in everything quite severely except what Cisco offered me.

For instance, does anyone wonder why if you dry burn silica on a coil, that it'll have a bad taste, and a permenant bad taste at that, yet that it will not actually combust upon torching? I believe it's because chemicals on the wire being sorched onto the silica.
That sounds interesting. Please post a link to the rare Cisco interview. And Possibly a link to the physics/chemistry theories? You have me wanting to dive into this further. I just have no idea where to start studying. Thanks in advance.

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
That sounds interesting. Please post a link to the rare Cisco interview. And Possibly a link to the physics/chemistry theories? You have me wanting to dive into this further. I just have no idea where to start studying. Thanks in advance.

I think the link is on another one of my threads, someone else posted it, but I don't think I even watched it. Cisco just confirmed this with me though.

Also, many of RIPtrippers videos show his microcoils "smoking" when he uses the "pre-fire" technique to pinch and oxidize.

There's plenty of Wikipedia articles about combustion and oxidation, and when matter is burned (like oil), it has the ability to burn onto whatever physical matter is next to it, even if that matter is flame-......ant, like fire-suit jackets. That's why fire-suit jackets can get "smoke residue" latched onto them regardless of being flame proof.

And Cisco is one of the only companies in the world that pre-torches their coils, if anyone's wondering. They also told me in email that they use a form of NiChrome without aluminum, which I may be actually allergic to.

If anyone wants to argue with those facts, I'll certainly post the links, but I'm too lazy to do so when the information is obvious to anyone who has beyond a 3rd grade education or has the friendly connections to vendors that I do.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I think the link is on another one of my threads, someone else posted it, but I don't think I even watched it. Cisco just confirmed this with me though.

Also, many of RIPtrippers videos show his microcoils "smoking" when he uses the "pre-fire" technique to pinch and oxidize.

There's plenty of Wikipedia articles about combustion and oxidation, and when matter is burned (like oil), it has the ability to burn onto whatever physical matter is next to it, even if that matter is flame-......ant, like fire-suit jackets. That's why fire-suit jackets can get "smoke residue" latched onto them regardless of being flame proof.

And Cisco is one of the only companies in the world that pre-torches their coils, if anyone's wondering. They also told me in email that they use a form of NiChrome without aluminum, which I may be actually allergic to.

If anyone wants to argue with those facts, I'll certainly post the links, but I'm too lazy to do so when the information is obvious to anyone who has beyond a 3rd grade education or has the friendly connections to vendors that I do.
I only made it through the 2nd grade and I'm not a professional reviewer so I don't have the friendly connections with vendors like you and Phil and the boys have....so, yeah....links would be great.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
With my extensive testing, far more complex testing and scientific methods than anyone on this forum could properly explain, I have finally gotten it out of my head that silica itself actually has a "taste".

Since we mortals cannot explain your revolutionary scientific testing methods, perhaps you would like to explain them to us? And could you also refrain from using big or complex words, as we may not understand them. I might understand, though, seeing as how I think I'm slightly smarter than the masses here, I've only tested out a meager 138 on the Stanford-Binet, (and yes folks, that is true, and is documented).

Now, for the real on-topic poop. First, why are you quoting a video that you don't think you even watched? If you haven't watched it, they could have said their super secret wire is made with Giraffe Urine for all we know. And in truth, they don't use a special blend of NiChrome, one that doesn't contain aluminum. Nichrome is a non-magnetic alloy of nickel, chromium, and often iron.

Good News, please post the links, and if possible, the emails you had with Cisco. I think it would really put to rest quite a bit of strafe here. You have stated quite a lot of facts, but to my knowledge have never provided the proof that backs up those facts. Once that is done, and the cards are on the table, so to speak, and the proof backs up your "facts," I will be the first to publicly apologize to you for my past treatment.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What's strange, is that Cisco, in a rare old interview, claimed to be using a "secret wire" that they kept hidden from Chinese companies, a wire that they said made flavors taste clean and truly shine.

That sounds interesting. Please post a link to the rare Cisco interview. And Possibly a link to the physics/chemistry theories?

LOL, what you're saying doesn't make any sense GN. IMO none of this ever happened. Post the link or it didn't happen and you're busted.

This is why experienced vapers burn off the oils on their metal coil/wick components with nothing close to them (before assembling the components).

Proof please, or i call BS again.

If anyone wants to argue with those facts,

IMO those are most certainly not facts.

I'll certainly post the links

Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading them :thumb:

but I'm too lazy to do so when the information is obvious to anyone who has beyond a 3rd grade education or has the friendly connections to vendors that I do.

Well, let's have a look at your links and we'll see what is obvious or BS. Unless you think I'm too uneducated and you're too lazy to do it. But then, as I've already said, I call BS on you.

Vape on :thumb:

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
LOL, what you're saying doesn't make any sense GN. IMO none of this ever happened. Post the link or it didn't happen and you're busted.

This is why experienced vapers burn off the oils on their metal coil/wick components with nothing close to them (before assembling the components).

Proof please, or i call BS again.

IMO those are most certainly not facts.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading them :thumb:

Well, let's have a look at your links and we'll see what is obvious or BS. Unless you think I'm too uneducated and you're too lazy to do it. But then, as I've already said, I call BS on you.

Vape on :thumb:

My word! Well done old sport!

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
[email removed- against TOS]

Argue with that, bunch of arguementive folk. While NiChrome doesn't have aluminum (I am correct), what I really meant to say was iron. Silly me, being correct all the time, even if actually wrong.

And yes, silica does indeed have the ability to soak in ash and byproducts from coils, and put up a fight in releasing them from it's hundreds if micro-threads. If no one knows this, they've never failed a dry burning and alcohol rinsing.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/511822-just-my-luck-4.html

Post 127. I posted the links after you "guaranteed" that Cisco used Kanthal...and I quoted selections from the interview to back that up.

The information was "so obvious to anyone who has beyond a third grade education" I had to look it up for you.

And you wonder why people on ECF are disgusted with you. Stop taking credit for other people's research and stop belittling others over information you yourself did not know a week ago. If I hadn't posted that, we'd be getting crackpot theories about why nichrome makes everything taste like your grandpa's underwear and kanthal was dropped from heaven like mana.

Edit: You were also convinced that Cisco attys were built here in the U.S.A. as well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread