Vape Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deezycakes

Aug 9, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Howdy y'all (<Cowboy voice)

My one friend almost cannot stand the smell of my e-cig. Certain flavors are bearable to him, but he says they all do smell kinda funky.

He's the only one that really has a problem, but it's made me self conscience about the flavors I'll vape in public. Most people can smell it a little bit, say that it's not as bad a analog smoke, and don't really care.

Anyone else have this problem? I just dont want people thinkin I have some weird odor, or have 20 cats.

Some people are just more sensitive to certain types of smells, or react negatively to smells that don't even register with other people. It could be an olfactory version of the cilantro thing - some people LOVE cilantro, others can't taste it at all, and still others (like me) think it's the foulest herb ever.

Still others perceive that they smell what they think they should smell. Not saying that's the case with your friend, it's just something I encountered recently. A friend of mine commented, "Well, it still smells like you're smoking a cigarette." My response? "Really? So you're around a lot of people who smoke ginger ale cigarettes, eh? Interesting." I finally convinced him to let me blow a cloud in his face, after which he stated, "Huh. Guess that wasn't you I was smelling." LOL

deezycakes

Aug 9, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I voted Otto, if that is your real name, haha.

I vaping some honey tobacco, and my friend thought it smelled like old people that ...... their pants and have been sitting out in the sun all day.

Elaborate I know, but after that, I think my mind tricked me into thinking that too. Needless to say, I'm not too hip on that flavor anymore :(

I guess it's just a personal thing

VapahMan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
New Jersey
www.magic-vapor.com
That's funny. I do have one specific friend who can't stand my Docta Peppa juice's smell. He doesn't mind anything else plus he'll use my pv every once in a while too! And on the complete opposite of the spectrum... I'll smoke these things indoors next to those who can't stand the smell of analogs, but don't mind my pv.

x-smok3

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Tennessee
I voted Otto, if that is your real name, haha.

I vaping some honey tobacco, and my friend thought it smelled like old people that ...... their pants and have been sitting out in the sun all day.

Elaborate I know, but after that, I think my mind tricked me into thinking that too. Needless to say, I'm not too hip on that flavor anymore :(

I guess it's just a personal thing

I have heard that the honey smells like cat pee but never quite as colorful or image provoking as your friends description :D I have never tried any of the honey flavors for this reason.

DragonflyVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I only vape espresso. My adult son said he notices a lingering smell even when I'm not vaping. He said the smell is not pleasant and he could not describe the odor. He also said the odor is tolerable and 1000% better than smelling stale cig smoke. I started noticing a different smell in my clothes while placing them in my washing machine. The odor is like a chemical smell to me..... not coffee which I would prefer. Does straight PG have an odor? Mine is 30% PG. Strangers will not tell you that you smell... only close friends and family.

DragonflyVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Try smelling your clothes after a day of vaping and see if you notice an odor..... I'm noticing a chemical odor in mine and as you mentioned..... that's better than smell from analogs.

Dont worry too much about it. The smell goes away eventually. They dont smell bad like analogs so you are still a step ahead and your friend should be happy he doesnt have to smell analogs lol.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I haven't noticed any smell on my clothes. I am just glad they don't have that lingering stinky smell of smoke. I can tell who went outside for a cigarette at work, and that smell now turns my stomach. When I was smoking, I didn't notice it much at all. It doesn't really matter much to me if the vapor leaves an odor or not, all I know is that it really tastes good.

erinpac

Feb 22, 2011
atlanta
My bf's ecigs had a moderate odor at first. Then he went down several levels in nic strength and from 70 PG/30 VG to 50/50 and now they smell much more like whatever flavor it is. Mind you, some are still quite strong, but it doesn't have as much of that funky unidentifiable odor.

It also helps if he keeps everything clean and doesn't have any burnt filler problems or anything going on, of course.

Banana smells SO STRONG (though not bad, just very strong - like across the house smell strong), Rum Cake was strong, and oddly the chocolate ones do not smell good. They smell bitter. Some are tolerable. Some are hardly noticable (I can't figure out what the MtDo smells like - I think it just dissipates) and some are nice (Tigers Blood @ Vixen Vapors smells awesome to me). If you're worried in close quarters, some air circulation is going to do a lot to keep it from drifting as directly into faces, and many of the fruitish ones are likely less noticeable - if anything, there's so many candles and air fresheners in those scents that people get used to those being a little fake.

tiffytiff

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Wheeling WV
i love the smell of most of them....i can smell them all. actually there has not been any yet i haven't liked. however, if the smell bothers someone i either move or stop....unless they are smokers and smoking...yes i have had this happen a lot. some of the bars we throw darts out of still allow smoking. and almost always there will be a smoker, grumbling about the smell of vapor...in that case I DO NOT CARE......because i'm not enjoying their smoke either....so we are even.
but other than that, if someone finds it offensive, i vape something else, or move out of their range :)

Celarnor

Mar 23, 2010
Rochester
I only vape espresso. My adult son said he notices a lingering smell even when I'm not vaping. He said the smell is not pleasant and he could not describe the odor. He also said the odor is tolerable and 1000% better than smelling stale cig smoke. I started noticing a different smell in my clothes while placing them in my washing machine. The odor is like a chemical smell to me..... not coffee which I would prefer. Does straight PG have an odor? Mine is 30% PG. Strangers will not tell you that you smell... only close friends and family.

In liquid, PG smells like nothing, almost entirely odorless. VG smells slightly sweet. I'm surprised the smell lingers, though, I've never noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread