Vaper's cough? (and assorted rambling from a newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
geez, I hardly ever cough except after a hard night of drinking but I'm getting a cough from these things.

Granted, I have been drinking and vaping more than usual but this sucks

I've been using these Mistics since Sunday and had to run around to get refills since the stupid Mega-Lo Mart is too stupid to stock them. I placed my order for Volt, but not gonna pay for speedy shipping so have to satisfy my craving in the meantime and RJR has gotten too much of my money already to go back to them - not that they can supply their hybrid cig here anymore.

It kind of set me off and been hitting the NDD pretty hard because of it. I had to visit 2 different towns to get refills for the Mistics - funny thing, last night when I bought a 2nd battery and tried to get refills the cashier said he had just started using them too and his co-worker said they sometimes explode. I didn't feel like sticking around to discuss it (yeah, I heard that story too - I'm sure it was discussed to death here already - outlier, I think - he probably hooked up a car-battery or something).

At any rate, after calling to see if they were in stock and being told they were and then finding out they weren't I had to drive to the next town and the cashier there was also quite interested in my experience with them. She asked how many drags I got off of them and I had to tell her I wasn't counting but they seemed to last about a day for me, but I'm still new to it.

The interest is definitely out there but many are skeptical.

I'll do a review of both Mistic and Volt once I receive mine and have a few days with it (and am more sober). A preview though is that Mistic delivers the nicotine which is what I want at least at first, but I can already tell the batteries are getting weaker fast and 1 out of 4 of their cartomizers was dead on arrival - completely dead.

I hope the Volt proves better. I would have bought another OneJoy tonight too but all they had were menthols. They were definitely not a good deal moneywise, but I was curious how they compared to the Mistics. I tried one a few weeks ago but now that I'm getting more familiar with other brands I was curious to see how they compared to the Mistics. I think Walmart is dropping them or already have and are just getting rid of stock they haven't sold. The one near me doesn't even have them anymore - the one that had Mistic refills had a dozen of the menthol OneJoys, but no regular flavor.

I really hate shopping at Walmart, but I also hate ordering stuff online and waiting for delivery. When ordering online I either tend to want it right now or UPS seems to have no problem with leaving $500 worth of merchandise on my doorstep when I'm not home - seriously, they did that once. I should have claimed I never got it, but I'm too honest.

So anyway I figure it's a bad sign that I've picked up both lighter and an e-cig twice in the past 15 minutes. At least I haven't tried to light it yet. I'm drunk and I want a real cigarette, but I'm saving the last 4 for when I wake up the next few mornings. I only had 2 today - one when I woke up and one after a few beers.

I really do like them soooo much better, but at $70 a carton and the distributor deciding to quit delivering them I have to quit.

Realistically I won't get the Volt until Monday at the earliest which is really a drag because drinking without a good cigarette really sucks. The one I had a little while ago was broken and I had to repair it with rolling papers.

I like the idea of the Ploom although I guess they're not marketing to people who are interested in saving money. I checked their website and it's 50 cents per "pod" which I gather works out to $10 per pack. Maybe that matches what they pay in NYC, but it's still way more expensive than what most people pay in the rest of the country.

Money is tight right now which is one reason I'm trying to get into the whole e-cig thing. Maybe if the economy picks up again I'll try that and by economy picks up again I mean maybe I'll get a job that paid what my old one did. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Where you least expect it....
Welcome to the forum and great to see you transitioning to vaping.

Also, I wanted to mention that you should refrain from referencing illicit drugs in your posts. That is against the rules and will lead to rule reminders or infractions in the future.

You probably weren't aware of this. Being that your new to the forum. So, that's why I just edited your post. Please don't let this discourage you from enjoying our forum. Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

mallen316

May 16, 2012
Missouri
I experienced that cough too. Mostly it comes from getting off analogs, ask anyone who quit smoking all together and they went through it too. I also noticed early on that I hit my E-cig a lot more when I started because it doesn't burn out like a regular cig so you don't stop as often as with an analog. It will sort itself out after a month or so. It's just a new way of nicotine delivery and there is a learning curve.

Sheriff420

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
NC
If you want to save money then refilling your caromizers is the way to go. The pre-filled cartomizers are a major rip off unless you get a pack and refill them until they don't work anymore.
If you want to put out plumes of vapor then you need to go with something other than a gas station e-cig like a ego-t/ego-c, kgo, e-power with an ego mega dual coil cartomizer or a tank with a boge 2.0 cartomizer in it on an ego-style battery.
I've had a few coughing instances that are similar to when spit hits your wind pipe when I use a juice that has a lot of PG in it.

You can check this site to see if there are any retail stores near you so you can skip the shipping VaporSearchUSA

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Vapor is something different to get used to inhaling. Try drawing the vapor into your mouth first, crack mouth open, then inhale. Mixing a little air into it may resolve the problem. If it doesn't, then I would venture to say that the PG in the liquid is the cause. You can buy 100% VG but not all is carto friendly. If you choose to refill your own, and you use VG, you can mix a few drops of distilled water in it to make it easier to absorb into filler material.

YoureFired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
The Berserkshires, MA
Someone here on ECF recently explained how the cilia in your lungs (tiny hairs that protect your lungs from infection) have been desensitized by smoking through the years, are finally becoming more sensitive again since you've either cut back on or discontinued smoking. So, that's the little tickle feeling inside your lungs that makes you want to cough.

I just found this on Answers dotcom:

Cilia..they are finger-like things lining the pleural cavity of your lungs. And when you smoke, or get second-hand smoke or other pollutants in your lungs, you cough because the cilia are trying to push all the crap out. Smoking damages them..and can take years to grow back and function properly.

hertm55

Apr 28, 2012
Around the Bend
Actually, VG has less flavor than PG. PG is widely used in food products like Coke, various crackers, etc. because it's a flavor carrier. As far as a cough goes, yes you'll cough for a while as your lungs clear out. Be sure to drink lots of fluids: vaping is quite dehydrating.

Thanks for correcting me on the flavor part. All juices I use are blends. I know remember reading about VG lacking in the flavor department. With all the info out I get stuff mixed up easily.

Last edited:

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
I have to say I'm somewhat skeptical of the explanation that my lungs are clearing out since I haven't really burned tobacco in years. Even after a day without my usual hybrids I can get into my car and not smell any residual smoke and I once worked a job for a whole month before my boss even realized I smoked even though we worked in close proximity to each other.

It really does make me wonder if all I'm getting is nicotine-infused water vapor.

The obvious advantage is that with e-cigs there is less Carbon Monoxide, but I always found the warning on cigarette packs about CO somewhat silly. To the average person, what does that actually mean? Uh....CO is bad? Like we didn't know smoking is bad? Seriously, I'm sure most people are aware that you can die of overexposure to CO but it's my understanding that it results from CO replacing oxygen. In smaller doses what is the actual harm?

Just like nicotine can kill in large enough doses but what is the harm in small amounts?

Everyone knows smoking is not healthy but I like to joke that someday I might sue because I only ever bought cigarettes with warnings about carbon monoxide (what am I, a chemist?) or risks to pregnant women. Is that warning supposed to mean anything to a male or even to a female who is not pregnant nor planning to get pregnant?

Just looking at a small sample of the last 3 packs I smoked, 2 say smoke contains CO and 1 warns about pregnancy risks.

Seriously, the only times I ever cough are when I smoke a more conventional cigarette which actually produces ashes or if I do something which I'm apparently not allowed to mention here and even then it generally coincides with overindulgence which goes along with drinking too much at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread