Vaping and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerbeagle

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Wichita, KS USA
So ...yeah, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes back at the beginning of June - a relatively minor case (if you can call diabetes "minor") - and have been successfully managing it with diet and exercise. This is what brought me (back) to quitting cigarettes and vaping.

All in all, I've been doing fairly well, but I've noticed that my trending levels have gone up a fairly significant amount (about 10 pts) since I started vaping. Now, I'm not blaming vaping ...there are other variables at play here, I haven't been able to exercise much in the last week or so due to 100+ temps, so that could be contributing as well ...but I'm wondering if there are any other diabetics here who have noticed a slight increase due to the flavors in the juices? I think, from what I've read, most people use Stevia / Sacralose for juice sweetener, which is fine for me, but I can only imagine that some flavors might be 'naturally' sweetened and, possibly, off-limits?

For the moment, I'm willing to wait it out, get my exercise back, and see if my numbers drop. This last week, my fasting glucose has been 95-105 - prior to this last week, I was managing in the 85-95 ranges, so it's not a huge jump ...just *slightly* concerning.

I suppose the question I have is, does anyone have any resources for diabetic concerns and vaping?

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
It has been studied. Unfortunately, nicotine is not great when it comes to the issue of diabetes and especially type II. You might want to discuss the issue with your doctor. Nicotine alone is still less harmful than smoking, but you might want to start weaning off even the nicotine.

Here is one of several studies on the issue:
Long-term Use of Nicotine Gum Is Associated With Hyperinsulinemia and Insulin Resistance

Anecdotally, nicotine intake can also result in healthy patients testing as prediabetic. But I still love it.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
One option is to DIY then you can better control what extra sweeteners are added. I know several of the flavor for DIY manufacturers are very responsive to customer questions. Perhaps contact them and find out what if any sweeteners are added before using their flavors in DIY Juice.

In addition to Myrany's excellent suggestion to DIY, I think the effects of nicotine on the glucose/insulin system may be more important than the amount of sugars you would be ingesting. The reason for this is that sugars tend to burn and stick to the coil so their use has to be quite limited in e-liquid. Some small amount of caramel is used in some, and possibly similar compounds.

What does this mean? You'd need to check with the manufacturers but if an e-liquid had more than 1% sugar or sugar products like caramel it would be useless. Say you vape 3ml of liquid per day, 1% by weight of this would be 30mg of sugar. Not enough to be concerned about. Even if there were 5% sugars in the juice, this would still only be 150mg. Mostly, the sweeteners used in e-liquid are artificial ones like ethyl maltol and it's a safe bet that you don't actually ingest all of the sugars that are present.

Another factor that might come into play is that vegetable glycerin can get partly metabolised into glucose. The net affect would probably be no worse than the sugar content, and you'd be ingesting far more VG if you are eating processed foods in any case. Check with your doctor on this and if it turns out to be a problem you could try DIY liquids made with no, or very little VG.

The amount of exercise you have done, or the lack of it will surely have a much greater affect on your blood sugar than either of these factors.

If you were only diagnosed in June, it's still early days yet and the doctor will want to adjust your medication to get it right. This is perfectly normal and as you are finding, careful record keeping is very important. The good news is that your vaping is probably a very consistent and daily habit, and will change only very rarely. Any affect that nicotine or vaping has should be relatively easy to take into account in your medication.

(Disclaimer - I am not a doctor. My wife is seriously type II diabetic is all)

hawkeye46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
grundy center, iowa usa
I'm type 2 diabetic, blood sugar regulated by meds. Been vaping for 2 months, no longer smoke analogs. Smoked 2.5-3 packs a day for 45 years. Before vaping my blood sugar would be between 130 and 160 in the morning when I got up. After I started vaping my blood sugar in the morning was 60-70. Did not change my diet at all, exercise and everything else remained the same. The only thing that is different is vaping instead of analogs. I have decreased my meds as 60-70 blood sugar made me jittery. Now in the morning my sugar is 90-95. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my breathing and taste buds are, plus the money I'm saving. Let's keep gov't from regulating a product that is saving my life.--Bob

knitcrotatter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Waterbury, CT, USA
I'm type 2 diabetic, blood sugar regulated by meds. Been vaping for 2 months, no longer smoke analogs. Smoked 2.5-3 packs a day for 45 years. Before vaping my blood sugar would be between 130 and 160 in the morning when I got up. After I started vaping my blood sugar in the morning was 60-70. Did not change my diet at all, exercise and everything else remained the same. The only thing that is different is vaping instead of analogs. I have decreased my meds as 60-70 blood sugar made me jittery. Now in the morning my sugar is 90-95. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my breathing and taste buds are, plus the money I'm saving. Let's keep gov't from regulating a product that is saving my life.--Bob

Great munbers, Bob - Vape On!

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Before vaping my blood sugar would be between 130 and 160 in the morning when I got up.

Thanks for that, Bob. In a way, I'm kind of relieved to see that others are having the same kind of variation the first thing in the morning. I wish I could also report those better numbers since I started vaping, but at least I'm sure they are no worse. I wonder it it is related to flavor and pg/vg ratios. I've made too many changes in the past two months to make a meaningful report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread