Vaping and losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flurfel

Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Birmingham,, AL
Alright, so you are relying purely on anecdotal evidence, and conventional wisdom. I will stay on the side of science.
To state that my argument has no science behind it is ludicrous, it just so happens to be different from your opinion.
You eat 2000 calories of chocolate cake. You eat 2000 pounds of meat. Your body will not respond the same in both scenarios.
Well, I should hope not.
You admitted yourself that some carbs are worse than others. A calorie is not a calorie.
That is correct, I was just trying to put it in layman's terms. Anyone with half a brain would know that 100 calories of chocolate cake and 100 calories of apple slices would affect the body differently.
Animals in nature have no idea about how many calories they eat. They have no belt that feels tight, yet under your hypothesis they still manage to match calories in with calories out. This makes no sense.
They absolutely do that. Animals in nature have instincts that we have no idea about. They know how many calories they need to get them through the day or the week. Ever seen a lion let a gazelle walk right past it? Happens all of the time.
It's time to educate people why obesity is such an epidemic in our society. We give bad advice, eat less exercise more.
Eat less and exercise more is bad advice? You just blew any credibility you had.
Clearly it has not been working. Why don't you read something by Gary Taubes? It will blow your mind.
I will check it out because I am open to learning other viewpoints, I don't just stomp my feet and say this is the way it is and if you don't agree you are wrong.

CHoKPoP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
usa
To state that my argument has no science behind it is ludicrous, it just so happens to be different from your opinion.Well, I should hope not.That is correct, I was just trying to put it in layman's terms. Anyone with half a brain would know that 100 calories of chocolate cake and 100 calories of apple slices would affect the body differently. They absolutely do that. Animals in nature have instincts that we have no idea about. They know how many calories they need to get them through the day or the week. Ever seen a lion let a gazelle walk right past it? Happens all of the time. Eat less and exercise more is bad advice? You just blew any credibility you had. I will check it out because I am open to learning other viewpoints, I don't just stomp my feet and say this is the way it is and if you don't agree you are wrong.
Eating less, and exercise more is horrible advice. Both of which most obese people have tried, and most have failed. Any short term gains are erased by long term rubber band binging. You say that 100 calories of apple slices, and 100 calories of chocolate cake affect the body differently. When I say affect the body differently, I meant in terms of weight loss. Under conventional rules of calories in and calories out, a calorie is just a calorie.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
So I think am not the only one lool :D

For my I dont think I get an Extry Wriht what I think that am on the normal range and feel happy for that.

Nope,,,,,,,,,you're not along,,,,,,,,vaping for one week and I lost 4.5 lbs this week,,,,,,,could be coincidence, I'll just have to see what happens.:)

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I've lost almost 40 pounds since I started vaping. I have a craaazy sweet tooth, and vaping dessert flavors has really quelled that. When I crave sweets now, I don't even think about eating the real thing anymore. I just look for the eliquid. One time, I had Blueberry Pie from TV and the real thing in the fridge - the real thing ended up going bad, cuz the eliquid was so much better!

Also, my lung capacity greatly improved after just a few weeks, so I'm able to work out more now. I went from 5-10 minutes on my HealthRider when I smoked to about an hour with weights (built up over a year), and can painlessly/effortlessly climb stairs.

I think what's really worked for me is that giving up smoking has pushed me into improving other things in my life that were bad, like how I eat (I'm a vegetarian now), how much water I drink (I never drank enough before), and how much I work out (1+ hours every other day). I say use it as a tool to better your health (it's quite effective), and the weight loss will happen on its own (if that's what you're going for).

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
This time last year I was smoking a pack a day. I decided to start getting it better shape so I started jogging 5 miles everyday (while on analogs!) It was ROUGH but after about 2 weeks I was actually doing it daily. I dropped a pant size in 3 months then the weight loss just stopped. So, I started dieting, actually went vegetarian for awhile there. Lots of raw fruits and veggies and nuts/hummus once a week. Dropped a pound or two over the next 2 months. Then was at a stand still.

Then I found e-cigs. I stopped smoking and started vaping! The 5 miles I usually run daily became nothing after just 2 weeks. So, I started going further! I found myself eating two meals a day (a medium and a small) with a smoothie before bed time. I think the tasty vapor helped me with cravings, honestly! My 34's are now too loose and I need to wear a belt! Crap, thought I was suppose to be saving money by vaping, now I found myself having to spend $$$ on new clothes (kidding of course!)
haha, same thing happened to me - Goodwill is your friend! Size 4 Gap/Banana Republic/Express pants for $4? Heck yeah! :laugh:

I started watching my calories a couple of months ago to get the weight loss started before i quit smoking. Last time i quit i gained a lot because i ate a lot of really bad snacks all day. The day i started vaping (1 week ago) i stopped worrying about what i was eating so i could focus on one issue at a time. This week i managed to lose 3 more pounds without trying. I hope it continues and it wouldn't surprise me if flavors are a really big factor.

For those of you debating if its carbs or sugar that makes it difficult to lose weight... I can eat sugary candies all day like swedish fish and still lose weight, but if i ate even a 1/4 cup of pasta every day i would gain weight like crazy. I think it has to do with a persons insulin. If i check my blood sugar after eating raw sugar it's fine, but if i test after pasta it shoots up. For me it's most important to simply watch the calories and keep the protein up and fat down. No matter what, it's really important to pay attention to what different foods do to our bodies.

CHoKPoP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
usa
I can eat sugary candies all day like swedish fish and still lose weight, but if i ate even a 1/4 cup of pasta every day i would gain weight like crazy. I think it has to do with a persons insulin. If i check my blood sugar after eating raw sugar it's fine, but if i test after pasta it shoots up. For me it's most important to simply watch the calories and keep the protein up and fat down. No matter what, it's really important to pay attention to what different foods do to our bodies.

I do think that insulin is the culprit here, and different foods affect us differently. That's why there is a lot of confusion about weight loss.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Weight gain was something that always kept me afraid of quitting smoking. I am very weight conscious and embarrassed to say I used smoking as an appetite suppressant. I am always yo yo-ing somewhere between the 125-145lb window, but when I focus on healthy eAting I can keep weight off easily.

When I switched to vaping, I was around 136lbs. I was in nursing school full time, sat a lot during studying, and even with vaping the snacking got a little out of control. I constantly felt hypoglycemic when I was detoxing from the stinkies. I over snacked. I ended up gaining about 9 lbs over the next 4 months. After detoxing was over and I graduated from school, I have dropped 18 pounds without much effort. I am more physical because I have more time and I feel better. I vape sweet flavors which does help prevent the candy urges.

Even if I never lost the weight I gained from quitting smoking, I would be just as happy where I am in my new smoke free life. I am mad at myself for allowing my fear of weight gain take over and prevent me from quitting smoking sooner. I had to mentally come to terms with being comfortable in my body and focus less on the size on my jeans label. I guess turning 35 gave me a new perspective on self acceptance. :)

Baptyzmbyf1re

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Omaha
I've always gained weight when trying to quit analogs. This time around I have my vape so I am hoping that will help a ton. I'm starting a training regimen to get me to a 10k run in September. I'm hoping that the new found breathing will be enough to keep me going. Another side benefit for me is that I used to smoke outside only, never in the house. All that extra time has really seemed to add up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread