Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Interesting read. Thank you for Posting this Chuck.

One thing that Always Irks me when I see most e-Cigarette Articles is the Inclusion of All e-Cigarettes (or e-liquids) into the Results of a Select Sampling.

This was one of the Few Articles that I have read that Points this out.

"A concerning factor in e-cig use is that it’s not well known what or how much flavor additives and components are in e-cigarette liquid, Jaspers said.

The concern was echoed by clinical pharmacologist Neal Benowitz of the University of California, San Francisco. “E-cigarettes are not one thing,” he said, noting that the devices, liquids, and flavorings vary widely. “We’re really in the beginning of understanding the toxicity.”

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I ain't buyin' it.

I used to get upper respiratory infections once or twice a year but haven't had a single sniffle in over 5 years of vaping.

YMMV
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Prior to vaping I would get at least one nasty cold, haven't had as much as a sniffle either in the past 15 months.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So the $64,000 Question is...

Who has had a Lot of Colds since they started Vaping Cinnamon Flavored e-Liquids?

"The researchers also looked at the gene-altering effects of different flavors of e-cigarettes on the cells in the delicate lining of the respiratory tract. The flavorings that seemed to have the most potent gene-altering effects were additives that taste like cinnamon—cinnamaldehyde—as well as butter flavors."

LOL.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Interesting read. Thank you for Posting this Chuck.

One thing that Always Irks me when I see most e-Cigarette Articles is the Inclusion of All e-Cigarettes (or e-Liquids) into the Results of a Select Sampling.

This was one of the Few Articles that I have read that Points this out.

"A concerning factor in e-cig use is that it’s not well known what or how much flavor additives and components are in e-cigarette liquid, Jaspers said.

The concern was echoed by clinical pharmacologist Neal Benowitz of the University of California, San Francisco. “E-cigarettes are not one thing,” he said, noting that the devices, liquids, and flavorings vary widely. “We’re really in the beginning of understanding the toxicity.”
I started DIY last August to protect myself from government interference and to save money. But now that I'm doing the mixing some more benefits have come up. I decided I don't want to be chef vape. I want simple and easy with enough taste to be satisfied and not more. My daily vape has 1% flavoring and tastes fine. My understanding is most premix is in the 10% range. So if there's something questionable in my flavoring there may be 10 times less of it. Another benefit of minimal favor is people don't notice any smell. I've tested that at work and it makes a difference. Then if some gets in my clothing from pocket carrying there is no odor coming from my clothing. That has been a very nice benefit of less flavoring. If I knew how to significantly reduce visible vapor and still get some warmth and a good throat hit I'd do that too. The anti crowd is interested in the probllems. They have no interest in solutions. When we shut down an issue they move on to something else.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Funny how any doctor worth his/her salt will admit that not much is known about disorders of the immune system yet this article makes it sound like that isn't even being considered. There are no cures for any autoimmune disease that I've ever heard or read about. Yet these yahoo's want to claim that ecigs are "shutting down hundreds of immune system genes" and that it means....what exactly? Like any info they gather about this topic can actually tell them anything at all on a subject that isn't understood at all.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I started DIY last August to protect myself from government interference and to save money. But now that I'm doing the mixing some more benefits have come up. I decided I don't want to be chef vape. I want simple and easy with enough taste to be satisfied and not more. My daily vape has 1% flavoring and tastes fine. My understanding is most premix is in the 10% range. So if there's something questionable in my flavoring there may be 10 times less of it. Another benefit of minimal favor is people don't notice any smell. I've tested that at work and it makes a difference. Then if some gets in my clothing from pocket carrying there is no odor coming from my clothing. That has been a very nice benefit of less flavoring. If I knew how to significantly reduce visible vapor and still get some warmth and a good throat hit I'd do that too. The anti crowd is interested in the probllems. They have no interest in solutions. When we shut down an issue they move on to something else.

Yes.

And that kinda Ties Into what I was saying about Lumping All e-Liquids into an Articles Headline based on Isolated Results of a Small Sampling.

Retail Flavoring Percentages vary Wildly. Due to Flavor Strength of the Finished Product. But Also due to the Concentration Level of the Flavoring used.

For Retail e-Liquids, 10% Flavor Levels may be on the Low Side for TFA and FlavorArt compatible Flavorings. And 15% might be a Closer Average Level.

I too use Flavoring at Very, Very Low Levels in my DIY. And 1/2 of the time, I am (for all Practical Purposes) using Unflavored.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
This study only included "around a dozen" vapers, but I've done my own study on the subject.

Since I've been doing chemotherapy, a treatment that is known to damage the immune system, I decided to vape while receiving treatment.

The result was that my immune system tested surprisingly strong while the control group was statistically weakened.

While their study suggests that "The flavorings that seemed to have the most potent gene-altering effects were additives that taste like cinnamon...." My ADV (All Day Vape) is a DIY cinnamon.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Oh, I dunno...

I had nary a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis before I took up vaping.
Same here...but, I've also gotten four years older, gone through"the change", and have a family history of arthritis. My grandma had it 30 years ago and my younger sister currently has rheumatoid. Neither one was a smoker or a vaper..

Reactions: EBates

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Same here...but, I've also gotten four years older, gone through"the change", and have a family history of arthritis. My grandma had it 30 years ago and my younger sister currently has rheumatoid. Neither one was a smoker or a vaper..

There's no family history of rheumatoid arthritis for me. I'm told that the onset of RA is typically, though not necessarily at younger ages. Osteoarthritis on the other hand, is common in advanced years.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Oh, I dunno...

I had nary a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis before I took up vaping.

I was given a tentative diagnosis of RA two years before I took my first vape. These things are complicated though and Psoriatic Arthritis is now being looked at. I honestly don't know what to think.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
There's no family history of rheumatoid arthritis for me. I'm told that the onset of RA is typically, though not necessarily at younger ages. Osteoarthritis on the other hand, is common in advanced years.
My doctor tested me for Rheumatoid and it came back negative. )There can be false negatives though). He thinks mine is osteo. All I know is it hurts!

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
My doctor tested me for Rheumatoid and it came back negative. )There can be false negatives though). He thinks mine is osteo. All I know is it hurts!

...admittedly short on in-depth knowledge myself. I've received medical comment that on a pain / stiffness axis, RA is more towards pain and OA more towards stiffness. That conclusion 'may' have involved some interpretation by myself, but seems to follow what I was being told.

Perhaps this aspect of the discussion should be moved to Health and Medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread