Vaping and weight loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styxzan

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2011
FL
I've lost about 8 pounds too. Tho, I'm still a piggie with my popcorn and savory dishes, and I will never vape popcorn flavored juice. Or bacon. eek.

Chocolate hazelnut coffee, vanilla caramel, vanilla/butterfinger (YUM), coconut, french vanilla, caramel macchiato...Most with a hint of clove, but sometimes straight. I have a cream flavor coming soon. I hope it's good.

Temporal Fugitive

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
I've actually put on a couple extra pounds since I switched over to e-cigs. Analogs used to kill my hunger. I'd often get up in the morning and smoke 5 cigs straight with 3 cups of joe and not feel hungry at all. Now, even if I vape all morning, I feel really hungry unless I actually eat something. And I don't drink as much coffee as I used to for some reason.

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
I wrote a blog post about sweet juices that other might find interesting. For those who are busy, the executive summary is that quite a few studies indicate that experiencing sweet flavors without corresponding calories adversely affects food choice and for most people cause weight gain. Though these studies never tested vaping per se, they did show that even diet soda causes weight gain due to this mechanism.

I'm not disputing that some people lose weight while vaping sweet e-juice. Nicotine itself is an appetite suppressant and a lot of people dramatically increase nicotine intake when they switch to vaping. Furthermore, things like drinking additional water, etc. can also affect appetite.

Another thing to consider is that if switching to vaping improves lung function, it could predispose higher levels of exercise than would otherwise be undertaken, and thus compensate for any increased appetite.

Even so, by and large, based upon the science that is out there on the correlation between non-caloric sweet tastes and weight gain, I argue in favor of non-sweet e-juice. However, because of all the other variables, my opinion is also "Do whatever works for you," because there are too many variables.

As for me, it is really hard to say. My weight goes up, my weight goes down. It seems (within its monthly range) to have remained steady. What really has helped my weight though was switching to something called paleo diet in which grains, starchy roots, dairy and legumes are removed altogether. My weight decreased, my BP went down, my VLDL cholesterol went down dramatically, etc.

silenthunder

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
toronto
can't read your blog since newbs don't have access to blogs.

but I'm wondering about the idea you promoted that 'experiencing sweet flavors without corresponding calories adversely affects food choice and for most people cause weight gain'

I'm very interested in reading the studies that you read.

From my understanding diet beverages containing aspartame and saccharine affect blood sugar (raising it) - which promotes weight gain.

Often the same people who would seek out a non-sugar sweetener are thus pointed towards natural forms of stevia (doesn't increase blood sugar)

brittanyNI

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2011
New England
can't read your blog since newbs don't have access to blogs.

but I'm wondering about the idea you promoted that 'experiencing sweet flavors without corresponding calories adversely affects food choice and for most people cause weight gain'

I'm very interested in reading the studies that you read.

From my understanding diet beverages containing aspartame and saccharine affect blood sugar (raising it) - which promotes weight gain.

Often the same people who would seek out a non-sugar sweetener are thus pointed towards natural forms of stevia (doesn't increase blood sugar)

Here are links to the studies -- I think you'll find them interesting!

(1) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_886409.html
(2) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...91743586900897
(3) http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ed-weight-gain
(4) Gain weight by eating artificial sweeteners

Last edited:

tiffytiff

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Wheeling WV
Oh yeah. It's good and it's bad at the same time. My blood sugar crashes really easy if I forget to eat. I've set an alarm on my phone to remind me lol
i have low blood sugar too, found this out right after i had a large slush and 20 minutes later my blood sugar was only at 80 :unsure: setting an alarm is a good idea!

when i quit vaping over a year ago, i put on a ton of weight, now that i'm vaping again it is coming off, actually have some pants i can wear that i couldnt a month ago.

i am/was a jolly rancher junkie, i havent touched sweets since i started vaping again. i don't even want them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread