Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I had absolutely no intention of quitting smoking until I had to. Broke my ankle in 3 places, due to that I spent 2 weeks in hospital. Surgeon put me on patches & gum, the ankle pain helped to keep me distracted. But it was mainly the fact I literally couldn't get myself outside for a smoke that I got thru those 2 weeks. Dealing with a broken leg AND quitting smoking... Well let's just say my nurses were worth their weight in gold.

Once I was home however, it was all up to me to stay smoke free. Parents had bought me a vape so I gave it a go. They also told me to vape my head off inside their house - where I was staying while recouperating. I stuck at it and got though a month smoke free.

Now 2 months later I'm hooked. Still smoke free ( still in a moon boot) and its all thanks to vaping. The similarity of the vaping action along with high nicotine mint flavoured juice have made it so much easier.

My bones and surgery wounds are all healing perfectly. I know if I had carried on smoking is be in a cast for an extra month, plus the wound healing wouldn't have been as good.

If you are thinking about quitting, I can't recommend vaping as a method highly enough

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    I had absolutely no intention of quitting smoking until I had to. Broke my ankle in 3 places, due to that I spent 2 weeks in hospital.

How did you break your ankle Ange ?.
    129090.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Welcome to ECF and I am glad you switched to vaping. Your ankle story sounds horrible, but congrats to you (and your parents) for walking out of that accident (well limping, possibly, or even in a wheelchair) with SO MUCH more positive health to come! You took a negative and turned it into a huge positive, so congrats!

Most of all, welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay at ECF! :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My bones and surgery wounds are all healing perfectly. I know if I had carried on smoking is be in a cast for an extra month, plus the wound healing wouldn't have been as good.
    I'm a retired surgical first assistant. I've worked with a lot of orthopaedic surgeons. You are correct with the above statements. Smoking undoubtedly inhibits new bone growth.

Most orthopaedic and neurosurgeons will not do elective surgery until the patient has successfully quit smoking. They don't want their hard work to go for naught, and are looking out for their patient's best interests to get the best outcome possible.

Grats and continued good luck.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    How did you break your ankle Ange ?.
    129090.jpg
    Its a pretty boring tale! Unpacking after a holiday, missed a step on the deck, spun around off balance and fell off the deck backwards. Put my foot out so I wouldn't land on my .... - and broke 3 bones. It was only a fall of about a foot. I did get helioptered to hospital which makes it a bit more exciting!

Thanks Baditude - makes me feel so much better knowing I did the right thing. It was OK in hospital not smoking, but at home it was so much harder. Thank goodness for vaping :)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    Last time i had an accident was when i was cycling. Was approaching double mini roundabouts (circular intersections). Some clown was doing a uturn round one of them and doing a poor job of it. As i passed this guy i approached the junction to the next mini roundabout and as i did so, turned and looked back at this guy still tryng to navigate his way round. Took a second to do that, but when i turned to face forward, another car in front of me had come to a complete standstill, and i cycled face first into his rear window. I was only travelling about 10mph, but coming to a complete standstill via my face like that hurt like crazy and i wound up with facial injuries.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds as though your body chrushed your ankle as you landed. Ouch !.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread