Vaping in public for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I've obviously vaped in front of other people before, but last night was new territory.

I was in another town to see a concert, and we had some time to kill so we stopped in a local bar for a drink. I sat there for about 10 minutes and then decided to go ask the bartender if they allowed vaping. Why not, right? Worst answer would be "no". So I went up to the bar, held up my MVP2 and iclear30S, and asked "do you allow vaping here?" I got a big smile and a "yeah, sure!" from the bartender. I got to vape and drink my beer... BONUS!

Then in the theatre, I was coming back in from an outside vape (where I overheard two guys discussing the setup I was carrying at the time), and some guys stopped me and were talking to me. I was holding my vape in my head and one of them "holy ...., what IS that??" so I told him. Of course I got a couple of the ignorant "what are you smoking with that thing?" questions but I said nope, nothing illegal, just nicotine. When they said wait... you smoke that? I showed them, standing right there in the theatre LOL. No one was paying attention and I blew the cloud downwards:vapor:, but they were suitably impressed.

I looked around at them, said "I win" and walked to my seat LOL.

Fun night, and some great music to boot :laugh:

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
That's awesome! My girlfriend absolutely HATES when I whip out my PV. She was a former smoker to, albeit not as heavily, so she cannot grasp how the concept of satisfying a fix indoors is appealing. Although she does vape, she is still not fond of doing it indoors! She will have to come to the darkside, it seems.

While we're on the subject, is anybody familiar with the legality surrounding the issue? A former boss I had at a local Subway outfit outright fired an employee for vaping. He came in, on his day off, not in uniform, to purchase food with his allotted employee benefits. He, stupidly, whipped out his PV and blew a cloud...which a nearby camera caught. He was fired.

The manager at the time I worked there was also fired for 1) Vaping in the store, (nowhere NEAR food) 2) vaping outside, but visible to customers and 3) allowing employees to vape. Though due to the nature of at-will employment, I believe our employer was within his legal means....however juxtaposed they may be.

I walked into a store the other day as well, for the life of me I can't remember, but I was told I "could not smoke in here" by an employee. Since ol' faithful was with me, I figured I wouldn't dismantle the poor smuck, but nevertheless..... thoughts/opinions on legality surrounding this?

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I vaped in the waiting room at my mechanic's shop this morning when I went to get my car inspected. Some other customers were curious about what I was doing and even liked the smell of the vapor.

I did ask the shop owner permission to vape and he said he didn't mind when I explained it's vapor, not smoke.

Last edited:

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
In an at-will State you can be fired for wearing a purple shirt. So as far as your situations you presented go, the employer was well within their rights to terminate employment. It goes back to what I always say. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." You are free to vape wherever you choose but you best be ready to deal with the consequences.

I am all for vaping in public and at any proper moment but when your job is on the line I would suggest a bit of discretion.

You can also be asked not to vape in any store, theater, restaurant, etc. It is private property and the property owner reserves the right to refuse service for ANY reason. It is not smoking, and all ignorant comments aside, you can still be told to leave. 100% legal.

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
In an at-will State you can be fired for wearing a purple shirt. So as far as your situations you presented go, the employer was well within their rights to terminate employment. It goes back to what I always say. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." You are free to vape wherever you choose but you best be ready to deal with the consequences.

I am all for vaping in public and at any proper moment but when your job is on the line I would suggest a bit of discretion.

You can also be asked not to vape in any store, theater, restaurant, etc. It is private property and the property owner reserves the right to refuse service for ANY reason. It is not smoking, and all ignorant comments aside, you can still be told to leave. 100% legal.

You sir, have sparred me from potentially looking like a complete and utter jackass! I'm glad I know this now, and will use discretion and adhere to the wishes of others. Perhaps my girl is onto something...LOL.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
You sir, have sparred me from potentially looking like a complete and utter jackass! I'm glad I know this now, and will use discretion and adhere to the wishes of others. Perhaps my girl is onto something...LOL.

Glad to help. Vaping is a great thing but we must be careful not to ram it down the throats of non-vapers. The more forceful we are with them, the worse we look. I am all for taking it to the ANTZ and the FDA but as far as citizens that have no idea what vaping is, I am more for a gentler push. Help educate them in a polite manner and we will win the hearts of the general public. Run over them with our "rights" and we are apt to lose this battle.

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
I was at a friend's house one night and had my MVP2 with my Nautilus on it and a couple friends asked if they could try it and they were impressed. The one had even bought some sort of starter kit but had no luck with it because it wasn't strong enough for him and he couldn't "feel it". He loved mine though. I saw him out at a local bar last night and he asked if I had it on me and if he could try it again. I had some MBV Cheesecake in it and he loved it. I get all sorts of weird looks and "what is THAT thing?" Type comments from people. Around here people are used to just basic ego setups and they look at mine like something from the future or something lol.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I'm thinking, because that was such a pleasant response from the bartender, that I will be polite but ask to vape in more places. I fully expected a no, and was really surprised at a yes. Makes me think I'll get a yes more often than I would think...?

I work at a vape shop part time on weekends, so I'm used to being able to vape in the shop in the mall... but I've never really thought to ask at other places.

This is so cool :)

brekec88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
US
Yea whenever i go to a bar I order a drink, give them a good tip and then ask if they mind if I vape. Worse they can say is no. Honestly nobody has told me no (and thats out of maybe 6 or 7 places). It has definitely caught on in my city though within the last 6 months. Usually you will already see multiple people vaping in the open and know that they are obviously fine with it there.

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
It sucks that my county recently banned the use of ecigs indoors just like cigarettes. My go to bar that I play darts for was very vape friendly. The owner vapes, the bar tender vapes, a guy on my dart team vapes, I vape, and I loved being able to vape indoors especially in this cold weather. Well nope not anymore! I also worry that this will give people the mindset that if they have to go out in the cold anyways they might as well smoke.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread