First time vaping in a pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Today has been my first time vaping in the pub, in the UK! I was vaping quite openly with a glass of wine and noone said anything. Until... I went to the bar to get another drink and asked a bartender whether I could vape inside, and he was like, "No, you have to go outside, we don't allow it here!" I tried to explain that theres no smoke or smell coming out out of my PV, but he just told me that they get a lot of hassle from the customers about it. I respected that in a way haha, but just carried on stealth vaping on the table in the corner. I understand their policy towards PVs in a way. I was kind of happy that they were at least aware of PVs! I hope that more smokers eventually get into vaping and that it would no longer be an issue.

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
Here in Spain, at the coast, no problems in bars and restaurants. Most love it, and even the no smokers, except of some of the "no smoker nazis", are positive about it, specially after explaning what it is, how it works, the composition of the juice, and all these things most of the non vapers ignore.
I believe we vapers should be more explaning to the other people, what the vapour is composed by.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I could see both. Non smokers who are unaware of vaping and analog smokers who also don't know about it could cause a problem for a barkeep.
I was in Savannah Ga. last week vaping (outside) and I heard a man say to his wife."I don't know what that is but she's not smoking." I just smiled.

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
I could see both. Non smokers who are unaware of vaping and analog smokers who also don't know about it could cause a problem for a barkeep.
I was in Savannah Ga. last week vaping (outside) and I heard a man say to his wife."I don't know what that is but she's not smoking." I just smiled.

Just what i think, we should be explaning what it is, that would keep most of the people away from complaning about it.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Today has been my first time vaping in the pub, in the UK! I was vaping quite openly with a glass of wine and noone said anything. Until... I went to the bar to get another drink and asked a bartender whether I could vape inside, and he was like, "No, you have to go outside, we don't allow it here!"

First off... welcome back. ;-)

And unfortunately I see this getting worse before it gets better. People seriously think that vaping is some chemical travesty and their inhaling the remnants of Soylent Green or something. It's really a bizarre reaction.

Good on you for standing your ground thought!

I have to ask though.. where did you exhale? It's too warm to be wearing anything covering anything up.

Never mind, don't answer that question. -Magnus

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
This is exactly why I don't ask, I just vape away until they come over to me.

I'm quite good at sounding all scinetific and sounding like I know what I'm on about so they usually leave it after they realise I'm trying to engage them in a scientific debate in which they are unarmed.

You would have to be quite an idiot analgue smoker to assume this pen like thing I'm sucking on which gives no smell what-so-ever out is a real cigarette and that's fine to smoke inside.

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
Well at least you did not get kicked out :)

Today has been my first time vaping in the pub, in the UK! I was vaping quite openly with a glass of wine and noone said anything. Until... I went to the bar to get another drink and asked a bartender whether I could vape inside, and he was like, "No, you have to go outside, we don't allow it here!" I tried to explain that theres no smoke or smell coming out out of my PV, but he just told me that they get a lot of hassle from the customers about it. I respected that in a way haha, but just carried on stealth vaping on the table in the corner. I understand their policy towards PVs in a way. I was kind of happy that they were at least aware of PVs! I hope that more smokers eventually get into vaping and that it would no longer be an issue.

The only time I was ever told I couldn't vape in an establishment is when I asked first.
That was a mistake. I was told no. I won't go back there.

I've never asked before or since. Been in a massive amount of restaurants and establishments, and rarely get even a look or comment unless from a waitress/waiter who is curious and wants to try one. I carry 8 cig sized and condoms with a hole cut, and hand it to em.
Coffee refills are always spot on when that happens.

Advice?
Let them tell you NO after they catch you. It probably won't happen unless you are throwing massive cigar like clouds.

Pig

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
At this moment it lookes like just vaping saying nothing gives you less problems for doing so.

At a larger time scale, we have the problem that big lobbys are fighting against us with a big part of the press secundasing them, so it would be in our interes to let people know that vaping is not offensiv to their health, making campaigns against us less efective.

I believe we are loosing the battle against the tabacco and farmaceutical industrie, and the politiciens, who see us vaping away their profits and taxes.

Thats a terrible lot of money, billions, we are fighting against, and only with publicity and information we can keep on vaping as we do now. IMHO

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
First off... welcome back. ;-)

And unfortunately I see this getting worse before it gets better. People seriously think that vaping is some chemical travesty and their inhaling the remnants of Soylent Green or something. It's really a bizarre reaction.

Good on you for standing your ground thought!

I have to ask though.. where did you exhale? It's too warm to be wearing anything covering anything up.

Never mind, don't answer that question. -Magnus

Well, haha. I just exhaled in the corner under the table lol. I was out to the same pub again on Friday, celebrating my last day of college and I was in a different place, in a full view of everyone including the bar lol. I was just vaping and exhaling the vapour in the open in front of everyone haha. Sadly, my battery died on me for the first time since I got my ego, as my friends kept vaping on it when I was out. I only had one full cigarette though for the rest of the night. Next time I'm not sharing it with anyone and bringing an extra battery just in case!

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
The media in Spain? they are all sold. Most of them to the left range of policy, who want to rule your life from even before you are born, and are very very very much worried about all the taxes they are loosing with the people who dont smoke anymore.

Haha, earthpig, can a pig ask the butcher for help, because somebody wants to grill him on a BBQ!

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
but he just told me that they get a lot of hassle from the customers about it.

Easy out for him if you let him get away with that load of …. First of all if you are causing no harm to anyone why ask? By asking permission you are broadcasting to him that you are doing something wrong. You want them to come to you if there is a complaint. I would remind him that there are two sides of that coin and he is going to get a lot of hassle from the customers that are most affected. Ignorance is no excuse for a ban on anything involving such a personal matter. “I don’t like that guy over there smacking on his chewing gum or people in here are eating p-nuts. OMG didn’t you know that p-nuts are an ingredient in Dynamite!” A savvy pub owner would be better served by educating himself about what is causing the hassle, understanding that there is no harm being done and be able to alleviate the concerns of an ignorant complainer. I have owned a bar in the past and I would much rather have the “complainer” never return than PO a group of people causing no harm.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
The NVC make some really nice "It's not smoke, its VAPOR!" cards. I just toss one on the table. On the back is a nice little blurb (I hate that word) about e-cigs and what they are. I may not always agree with the NVC, but education is key and these are dynamite. People will believe written word over a speech in most cases. I just wish they would sell them by the box, I only have a few left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread