Vapors Choice contest thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
omg my true love in a car. ever since i can rem thats the car i always dreamed of having!!!!!!!

The car that I wish I still had. A lot of fun went on when I had it too.

th

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
I miss my first decent and best ever guitar, a 1964 Fender Mustang that had been through hell, all gouged and the original yellow finish painted over black, then I put it though more hell, had to have it re-fretted twice in the years I had it. I got it in the late 90s when I was in highschool at the place where Courtney Love pawned many of Kurt Cobain's guitars, might of been one of his but he always put Brigsby tremolos on his, and mine had stock, so who knows. Lost it to a pawn shop by being stupid and sad after my divorce.
duo2.jpg

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/13

Depeche Mode, Shake the Disease (1985)
In order to capitalize on the overnight success of their fourth album, 1984's Some Great Reward, several Depeche Mode singles collections were rushed to market. The second of these, titled Catching Up with Depeche Mode in the U.S., included four new songs, including "Shake the Disease." While the single failed to make mainstream waves in the U.S. similar to "People are People," it broke the top 10 in many European countries and found regular airplay for a time on new wave/alternative radio stations in the United States.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/13 #2

The Cult, She Sells Sanctuary (1985)
Hard goth rock band, The Cult, caught its first real taste of success with their fourth single, released in May of 1985 and later included on their second studio album (as the Cult--their previous incarnations as Southern Death Cult and Death Cult, notwithstanding), Love. The song, in many ways, is a touchstone of change for the band as they shifted from their punk roots to a more mainstream hard rock sound and from their original Native American imagery to a larger embrace of neo-psychedelia.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/13 #3

Eurythmics, Would I Lie to You? (1985)
With the release of 1985's Be Yourself Tonight, the duo's fourth album, the Eurythmics crossed over from a synthpop band into the realm of R&B. Right off the bat, the album's first track (and first single), lets Annie Lennox show off her pipes as she tells off a cheating lover as the David Stewart utilizes a full backing band , complete with horn section. The shift from experimental synthesizers to mainstream pop worked exceptionally well, catapulting the song to the top of the charts in the U.S. and Australia and setting the stage for further hits from the album, including "There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart)," "Sister's are Doin' It for Themselves," and "It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)."

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
8/13 #4

Rupert Hine & Cy Curnin, With One Look (The Wildest Dream) (1985)
Longtime musician and producer Rupert Hine was tapped to produce the soundtrack to underrated teen comedy Better Off Dead, starring a young John Cusack. Included in the mix of synthesizer pop fare common to movies of the era, was a song used for the film's closing credits, for which Hine was joined by Cy Curnin (on vocals) and Jamie West-Oram (on guitar) from the Fixx. While the song did not make any waves on the charts, it is a highlight of the film's soundtrack (ignoring, for the moment, some of the songs used in the film that did not make it onto the soundtrack), providing fans of both the film and of the Fixx with a musical gem that would have fit perfectly in the soundscape of pop radio several years prior. (Scenes from the film, as well as Hine and Curnin singing, can be seen on various televisions throughout the video.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread