VaporShark rDNA 40 Battery issue (not the common one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So I tried searching but just came up with 100's of issues with the battery meter reading incorrectly. But my issue is different.

I noticed a few days ago that I left my nearly charged rdna40 on my desk and 2 days later the battery was dead. I assumed it had something to do with the fact that I left the dripper on there. So I charged it again to full and left it on my desk and 2 days later the battery is dead again. So I took the battery out (I usually charge via usb) and put it into my charger which read the battery at 2.2v (which is super drained). Is this common? Is it a battery issue? A vaporshark issue? or a dna 40 issue? I am using the oem battery (lg). I am currently charging a vtc5 and smurf samsung and will see if it drains those as well.

To be more specific, the 2nd time it drained w/o the atty on it, was less than 48 hours, I would guess closer to 35ish hours

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Definitely not normal behavior.

You've got the right idea, confirm it does the same thing across multiple batteries to make sure its actually a board issue and not a cell issue or something weird, then if its the board contact VS.

Either way your board is warrantied for 1 year.

Best of luck!

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
ok, after doing some more initial testing (I will do more to make sure this in fact my issue) I found that it's the battery. I put my fully charged samsung, and it did not decrease (at least I couldnt tell) and did the same with my vtc5. But with a fully charged oem lg batt it went down 25% in less than 24 hours. After 36ish hours it dropped to about 65% charge. I don't know why this is. I did notice that the rdna40 gets hotter when charging but this is due to the zip charging, or whatever they call it. I hope this is an issue with just the stock battery, and is not an issue with the board/charger causing premature failure of the batts. I won't risk putting my vtc5 in there, but will continue to use the samsung 25r and see if this warm charging (or the device) is causing this battery failure.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I would toss the battery. If a new one starts doing the same in the same mod, then I would start worrying again but it's not worth it to continue to use that battery if it can't hold a charge. I suppose it can, under the right circumstances, even be rather dangerous. Toss it.

I have no knowledge about zip charging. At how many amps does it charge the battery?

Regards
Tony

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, so after further testing, I think something is wrong with the rdna. Yes, the LG oem batt does die faster, but other batts I put in also seem to drop. I put in a freshly charged samsung batt at 4.2v. 24 hours later (exactly 24 hours) the battery bar shows full. 24 hours after that (so a total of 48 hours) the charge level shows about 65%. I would appreciate if someone else could check this as well. I did not touch the rdna during the 48 hours, except for 2x to check the battery level. I tried this with the vct5 and had similar results (75% charge left after 48 hours, but no decrease after 24 hours).

just checked the voltage of the samsung and it was 3.78 after 48 hours and 30 minutes

Last edited:

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
my dna 40 will drain around 50-60mah in 35 hours sitting idle so your problem doesn't look normal at all.

Good luck

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Yea my dna 30's and my vaporflask 40 show very little battery drain while not being used.

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
so after contacting evolv first (figure they'd be easier to deal with than vs) they said that it's not their fault, so i contacted vs and they said to ship it to them (overnight for free). Will update when I get it back. Just fyi, for my last test I fully charged the oem lg batt and after 24 hours it dropped to 50%. I assume this is because the batt might be bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread