Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello,

Another review, this time an interesting one about the VapX Meteor mod. Its the newest box mod by VapX that has two very interesting features, IP68 rating and a charging dock that allows you to fully charges the device in 11 minutes.

Thank you Clay from VapX for sending me this box mod and charging dock!

Specifications:

Packaging:

- Meteor Mod
- User manual
- USB-C cable

In docking station packaging, just the docking station

Review:
Its a tiny but nicely looking mod, Aegis like. Nicely stitched leather gives it a nice grip. Overall quality is very proper, does not feel cheap. Branding is not bad, just the arrows down on the side of the mod (under the fire-button) were not really needed in my opinion. The writing VapX on the side looks nice and has a rainbowish shine to it while moving the device.

It is shock, dust and IP68 rated. This is the first IP68 rated mod I can think of. Is there much difference with IP67? The answer is no. Difference is that IP68 can go deeper into the water than IP67, but still for the same time of 30 minutes. IP67 can be submerged into the water for 30 minutes till a depth of 0.5m, while IP68 can go deeper up to 1.5m. On VapX website it says it can go as deep as 8 meters, but I doubt that is for a long period of time. Quite a big difference and gives more protection, but in general mods are not made to swim with.

It can take a 28mm tank without overhang which is good. Not sure why they embedded the 510-connector, it can look a bit funny with a smaller tank. On the bottom of the device you fill find the connectors pins that connect with the charging dock (sold separately).

Very nice buttons, especially like the fire-button a lot. It is quite big and has a nice restrictive click to it. The navigation buttons on the side also work well, click nice and do not rattle.

Its an internal battery mod. 2000mAh is not impressive, but OK for the size of the mod. There are two charging methods; by USB-C through the sealed USB port or by dropping it 'like a Meteor' onto the charging station. It connects well with the station, and on the device is a tiny arrow design to show which way to put it. Charging station itself is very light, which means that you cannot just pull of your device as the charging station goes with it. To disconnect you need to hold the station.

Charging through regular cable takes around 45-50 minutes, which is quite fast already.

Station is reliant on the charging adapter, which is not included, which I think should have been. With a 16W phone charger it takes about 20 minutes for a full charge, to be able to charge within 12 minutes (did not charge within 10 as advertised) you will need a 30W+ charging adapter (USB-C laptops have those for example). The idea is really great and the way the mod connects to the station is a pleasure to see, but as mentioned, an adapter should have been included. Still it charges so much faster than other mod, so only thumbs up on the station. When a lower output adapter is connected it says ‘Fast Charging’ on the screen, when a 30W+ adapter is connected it says ‘Super Charging’.

You are not able to vape while charging, which makes sense for the station, but I like to be able to vape while charging through cable. Even though it might be convenient to after every vape drop the mod on the station, I do not suggest doing so. Batteries also have a stress level and charging it every time you take a vape might shorten the battery life.

Screen is nice and vibrant, but not theme/color adjustable. It is possible to adjust the brightness which is always nice.

It is really nice the screen and navigation buttons are on the side in my opinion. It is simply comfortable to navigate this way, hard to explain.

If its about the chipset, reminds me very much of the Aegis, also navigating through the device is pretty much the same:
- 5x fire-button to turn on/off
- 3x fire-button while on to activate scrolling through the different functions (up and down button to scroll)
- 3x fire-button till function title blinks and two times fire-button to get to puff-counter, use up or down to reset to 0.
- Hold fire-button and up or down to adjust screen brightness.

Different functions the device has are:
VW (Wattage)
TC-NI (Temp control Nichrome)
TC-SS (Temp control Stainless steel)
TC-TI (Temp control Titanium)
TCR (Temprature Coefficient of Resistance)
VPC (Vape curve)
BYPASS (To make it act like a mech, output based on remaining battery and coil resistance)

Kind of the standard package on a mod nowadays, even though I am not using Variable Voltage I think it should have been included. I do like the easiness of adjusting wattage in Temp control mods, just click the fire-button 3 times till the function title blinks, click the fire-button twice till the wattage box blinks and adjust using up and down.

Good it scrolls in 0.1w increments as I really like using this mod as an MTL-mod as well. I have not had any issues really with this device, it just worked great so far, and I am very happy having one.

Did not testing throwing it in the water, but did unintentionally drop it several times, even from heights such as 1.5m and it did not even have a scratch. Drop-resistant it for sure is, something that always comes in handy for people like me, being not too careful sometimes.

Conclusion:

A nice, tiny internal battery mod which is very properly armored with its IP68 rating. Cannot complain about this one much really apart from three tiny things; the missing adapter for the charging dock, missing variable voltage and the unnecessary arrow-design under the fire-button.

For the rest I find only positives on this device. The charging dock is quite revolutionary and with a proper (30W+) adapter you charge really in just 12 minutes, which is amazing. It lays nicely in the hand, it fires right away and it does what it needs to do very properly.

I would suggest this device for those that are not into vaping at very high wattages and are looking for a proper internal battery mod.

Thank you for reading, appreciate it.

Sjoerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread