variable voltage for triple a bottom feeder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwelsh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi guys, hopefully someone can answer this for me....I just finished making a bottom feeder box with a 3 battery (triple a) holder, anyways, my question is would i be able to hook up a vv regulator board with this, im using 3nimh rechargables with it and just curious if i hook the vv to it will it function properly with these types of batts? thanks in advance. :)

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
NiMH batteries should work just fine with a VV step-down regulator; BUT, if you're using just 3 batts (4.2V total off the charger), then you'll only be adjusting it down from there. (NiMH batteries have a larger voltage drop under an atty load than li-ions.)

If you mean to use a boost (step-up) regulator, then I doubt NiMH batteries are going to work. To use a boost vv regulator either IMR or li-po batteries are needed to supply sufficient current.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

johnny bobcat

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Colorado
Check this out NiMh Battery Shoot Out I found this on the candle power forums. Not all NiMh batteries are built alike, AAA's in particular "fall on their face at about 4 amps". I'm thinking of attempting something similar with 3 eneloop AA's and a DNA board, which is a buck/boost circuit. Meaning it can adjust the voltage up or down. According to the graphs in the link they should be more than capable of handling that kind of power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread